I'm Looking For Some Finger Picks And Thumb Pick For Playing A Banjo

ibemarshall
Posted
Posted (edited)

Good luck to you on the lessons, an admirable journey in my book~

Reminds me when I was in my mid-teens and I fancied playing the banjo just like I heard on my parents album of Flatt & Scruggs....being left handed probably didn't help but I failed to take advantage of the lessons my parents forked out for and didn't practice like I meant it.  That experience really reinforced for me the amount of talent, determination and hard work it takes to master the banjo, or any instrument for that matter...I have maintained my interest in bluegrass n such to this day...

Thought I'd share this video of a young one playing banjo with his brothers (featured on David Letterman, The Today Show and other national shows and events)...if you are interested in these guys...keep your eye on them...Hope you enjoy

]

Edited by ibemarshall
  • Like 2

johnb
Posted
Posted

Good luck to you on the lessons, an admirable journey in my book~

Reminds me when I was in my mid-teens and I fancied playing the banjo just like I heard on my parents album of Flatt & Scruggs....being left handed probably didn't help but I failed to take advantage of the lessons my parents forked out for and didn't practice like I meant it.  That experience really reinforced for me the amount of talent, determination and hard work it takes to master the banjo, or any instrument for that matter...I have maintained my interest in bluegrass n such to this day...

Thought I'd share this video of a young one playing banjo with his brothers (featured on David Letterman, The Today Show and other national shows and events)...if you are interested in these guys...keep your eye on them...Hope you enjoy

<youtube>http://youtu.be/I3qbB4Kq3Y0</youtube>

Hi Ibemarshall, Wow that kids good, I'm not  actually having formal lessons, just teaching myself using tutorial books and Youtube, I taught my self guitar some twenty plus years ago, I tend to play classical style but prefer to use an acoustic steel string guitar, it is a little hard on the fingers plus the neck is not as wide on a steel string compared to that of a nylon strung classical guitar, but I prefer the steel sound. the problem I'm having at present is unlearning the guitar finger picking styles, my hand automatically uses all my fingers when picking, however with the Banjo only the thumb and two fingers are used, not to mention it has only 5 strings compared to the guitars 6, so if ever I get half as good as that kid I would be more than pleased :7522:

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hey guys, check this out -- a young Korean name Sungha Jung with amazing finger action:

(ten million hits!!)

• Like 2

brock
Posted
Posted

ibemarshall
Posted
Posted

Brock...excellent addition...these folks are great !  :tiphat: