Buses To Clark, Are They A Safe Way To Travel?

bootleultras
Posted
Posted

Anyone with first hand knowledge of travelling to Clark Airport on a bus from Manila?

I will need to do this alone in April to meet my friends who will fly in with Tiger Airlines & just want to make sure it is a safe & relatively comfortable option as Ive only gone with the Mrs before & shes always extra careful!

While Im there, will probably have to stay the night in the area as the flight is only arriving about 10pm and I dont fancy night time travel, so if anyone has a good suggestion for a clean, reasonable priced hotel in the area too that would be an extra bonus! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted

yes i took victory liner to clark before and it was safe and no problems so you could try them and as for a hotel i would recommend Sunset gardens hotel and they have a service that can take you to the airport i believe  here is there website i have stayed here many times and its clean safe and has a great big pool http://sunsetgarden.com/

hope this helps

O-U-C :thumbsup:

• Like 3

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Last year it cost me 132 Peso to go in an air conditioned bus. Never had a conductor try to cheat me. They will hand you a punched out ticket with the fare. I always surprise them with exact change.

Victory Liner or Five Star will get you from Pasay to Dau terminal. From there it is a trike ride from Angeles City. You can do a trike or taxi to any hotel of your choice in Angeles area. Count on a Trike costing 100 peso. Quickest way to travel there. Just the way it is. 

The bus ride itself has always been no problem for me going both ways. I only take a backpack and have never put luggage in the lower compartment. Once in the bus terminals you are relatively safe. Just take the usual precautions of keeping your belongings secure.

Personally I would not travel at night around the Pasay Manila area unless you go direct from an airport taxi to the bus terminal. I could get into a few tricks of dealing with taxi's going to the different bus stations but until you have been there and are comfortable walking a little to cross the street, better to pay the meter. The way the road is laid out a taxi driver can really pad the kilometers by having to go a ways to get to the other side of the road.

My last time at Clark Airport was 1986 so cannot help you there.

• Like 2

ibemarshall
Posted
Posted

My wife and I have ridden several of the bus lines from their individual terminals in Manila to Dau Pampanga Bus Terminal and follows Flyaway's experiences in regards to the bus conductors (usually very helpful) and the taxi's @ NAIA and Manila as outlined by Flyaway.

From Dau (just next to Angeles & Clark) a taxi or trike is the way to go but you could also get close by jeepney as well, although trike is probably the best ,most direct way.  As for hotels there are many to choose from just depends on where and what your budget is.  I have had luggage stowed underside without an issue as well.

If you would like a few personal recommendations for safe, clean and cost valued places to stay, send me a message and I can follow up.

• Like 1

bootleultras
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the advice and tips guys. flyaway i would never walk around Pasay late at night, i'm wellaware of that area.....I believe the buses going to Clark pass by SM Megamall, anyone know if thats the case as thats easier for me to go from than going all the way towards Pasay.

OUC, thanks for the hotel tip, looks nice & ibemarshall, I may just send you a message also for a follow up too.

Cheers Guys. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

They do make several stops in the Manila area. I do remember them stopping in Cubao. Pasay is the end of the line. 

• Like 1

ibemarshall
Posted
Posted

They do make several stops in the Manila area. I do remember them stopping in Cubao. Pasay is the end of the line. 

Between their home terminals and getting on the North Luzon Expressway they make several stops along the way to pick up passengers.  Just watching the bus driver and the conductor ply their tradecraft is fun to watch if you get the chance.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I have traveled many times by bus. I have used 3 or 4 different bus lines. Partas, Victory Liner, Genesis. They all have bus terminals in Pasay. I have always used an aircon bus and the conductors have always been professional and helpful. I have no concerns about bus conductors and have put baggage underneath with no problems. Of course, as with flying, I always carry valuables on me. The only time anyone on a bus has tried to overcharge me was the vendors they let on the bus which sell food.

The taxi ride to the bus terminal from NAIA will cost more (150-200 pesos) than the bus ride from Pasay to Dau (Clark) (100-150 pesos). Note that it is very expensive to take a taxi from the Dau bus terminal to the airport though it only takes 10-15 minutes (300-500 pesos). The taxis in Manila are known for over charging. I had one instance at the Partas bus terminal where someone tried to get me to pay 500 pesos for the short trip from the Pasay Partas bus terminal to a hotel by the NAIA airport.

Bring some small change with you. You need that for using the CR's at the bus terminals which will charge 1, 2 or 5 pesos.

Note that buying a ticket and boarding the bus can vary. Sometimes you can buy a ticket in advance. Sometimes you have to wait until 30-60 minutes before the bus leaves to buy the advance ticket. Sometimes you have to get in a line and wait. I had to to wait almost 2 hours in line recently at the Baguio bus terminal, that is the only time this has happened in dozens of bus trips. Sometimes you have to get a number from a booth or security for boarding the bus instead of waiting in line. Sometimes you just wait and board the bus. Then the conductor will collect the fair after the bus leaves.

I have never had any concerns riding buses and have always felt secure. Getting to/from the bus terminal, especially in Pasay, is a greater concern.

In Pasay each bus company has their own small terminal in different locations. In Dau close to Clark there is one very large bus terminal that all the bus companies share. Also in Dau one side of the terminal is for northbound buses, the other side is for southbound buses. Buses will have a placard or electronic marquee in the lower left front window showing their final destination. In Pasay just mention you are going to Clark (Dau) and they will get you on the right bus.

The bus ride from Pasay to Dau can take anywhere from 1 to 3 hours depending on time of day, traffic and how many stops they make. Most likely 2-3 hours.

• Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted

Anyone with first hand knowledge of travelling to Clark Airport on a bus from Manila?

I will need to do this alone in April to meet my friends who will fly in with Tiger Airlines & just want to make sure it is a safe & relatively comfortable option as Ive only gone with the Mrs before & shes always extra careful!

While Im there, will probably have to stay the night in the area as the flight is only arriving about 10pm and I dont fancy night time travel, so if anyone has a good suggestion for a clean, reasonable priced hotel in the area too that would be an extra bonus! :thumbsup:

Hey Bootleultras,

Hmmm....based on my own personal experience, you better have a rock solid excuse/reason explaining

to the Mrs why you were 24 hrs late in getting back home.....he, he.  Among your newly arrived friends,

make sure you all tell the same white lie......he, he.

Wishing you a very safe journey, especially upon your return.  

Good boy ako -- Jake 

• Like 2

bootleultras
Posted
Posted

Jake,

Thats my next question......you know any good ones! hehe

:cheersty:

• Like 1