Posted
Posted (edited)

Congrats, Bruce!

Edited by Will
  • Like 3

Will
Posted
Posted

You're right. I never had any intentions of doing what I said. Only as an afterthought, actually I meant it as a slight on the foreigner (crazy Kano!) my asawa and driver both thought that was a hilarious miscommunication plot. But sorry I didn't mean to offend. Lets have fun. :)

• Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted

You're right. I never had any intentions of doing what I said. Only as an afterthought, actually I meant it as a slight on the foreigner (crazy Kano!) my asawa and driver both thought that was a hilarious miscommunication plot. But sorry I didn't mean to offend. Lets have fun. :)

Actually, my attempt at humor in the situation is not unique. That heroin joke is standard fare and the test company employees hear it frequently. I shall endeavor to curb the cultural humor a bit... as long as it does not take away from the flavor of the post of course.....  

• Like 4

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

During a lunch conversation with friends in Makati, they informed me that getting a driver's license in the Philippines has improved over the years. They were very proud that this was one government agency that had eliminated most of the corrupt practices. The old system of "fixers" meant you could get a license without demonstrating a knowledge about the rules of driving. For the group, it was a safety issue for themselves and their families.   

My license renewal in Honolulu was very efficient. There was an application form with standard questions and additional ones like, "Do you want to be an organ donor?" The wait in line was about 10 minutes. A new requirement by Homeland Security is showing a second picture identity card like a passport in addition to your old license. A quick eye test and then the picture taking and digital fingerprinting. A temporary paper license is issued valid for 90 days. The plastic card with all kinds of security features will be mailed. The whole process took less than 20 minutes.

Bruce, how long did it take to get your license?

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Actually, my attempt at humor in the situation is not unique. That heroin joke is standard fare and the test company employees hear it frequently. I shall endeavor to curb the cultural humor a bit... as long as it does not take away from the flavor of the post of course.....  

For those who are familiar with my foolishness on this forum, I also like to zing a verbal prank over someone's head.

However, chances are that many locals will not appreciate or understand your humor due to language and cultural

background.  I would imagine the reverse can be applied where the locals are talking about you, while you stand

there with a thumb up your butt not knowing the joke is on you......he, he.

Being a Filipino-American, I must confess that some of my comments about my own people went over the edge.  As

instructed by the Boss -- both Bruce and I will whack each other's pee-pee and will promise to improve the flavor of

our posts with a little bit more of soy sauce.....he, he.

Respectfully -- Jake

• Like 3

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Bruce, how long did it take to get your license?

30 minutes, but I did not have to wait in line. And I am not complaining about the cost. I believe there was a post not too long ago about the cost of a foreign conversion license which was, I think, over 2,000p?  

The money I spent was well worth it to have a license under the name of Reid, Sir Thomas! :hystery:  

(I am kidding! OK, no fraud was committed) :mocking: As a Kano I get paid $85 per hour worked. So I DO NOT clip coupons! Not worth my time..... Same logic here. I did not have to wait in line.... and that alone was worth any fees..... I am a happy Kano!  

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Being a Filipino-American, I must confess that some of my comments about my own people went over the edge. As instructed by the Boss -- both Bruce and I will whack each other's pee-pee and will promise to improve the flavor of our posts with a little bit more of soy sauce.....he, he. Respectfully -- Jake

Jake..... Ewwwwww. That is wrong on so many levels...... :hystery:

Here let me share the 'visual' in my head now that will haunt me for years. I may just need therapy and send you the bill!

Do you remember seeing any German mechanical toys? Made 50+ years ago. There was one that I remember showing 2 men with axes chopping down a tree. As one hit the other raised his axe and then hit while the 1st one was again raising his axe..... WACK WACK WACK.... you get the picture...... :mocking:  Just remove the tree.....

• Like 3