A Slight Dissapointment.... (Again)

Bruce
Posted
Posted

For those members who have been following my escapades here in the rural area of the Philippies know that I have been paying school fees and sometime living expenses of a few street kids.

One ws a girl of 12 who is now 16 and my last trip was avoiding me and this trip I have seen her twice and neight time would she talk to me. She had dropped out of school and I had stopped supporting her a while ago except for a phone and load and some items in a balikbayan box sent to the charity house.

I knew she was drinking and smoking and there for a while people whould txt me or tell me about what she was doing... mostly out allnight and sleeping at the open market or cemetery with her peers.

I always replied that she was not my daughter and that she had to make her own mistakes and that I would help if asked, but that I choose to not try to control her. 

Well last night I was in my room annoying some people on a Philippines forum with my rantings when one of the kids came to get me. I went out and to the cafe where they were all gathered around a computer with some kid's facebook page showing. And there were 5 newly posted pictures of 3 teen girls, in lacey bra and underwear.... 'posing' for the camera. GUESS who was the middle girl.....And she is the STAR.... not a shy girl.....

I do not read or speak the language but I was told that the poster had written that they were in a hotel in (a different city), and they were all having fun and her boyfriend and his mother (?????) were financing the trip.

Now in the US, this is a non news item. But in Phils, I understand it is grounds for expulsion from school... which she does not attend anyway... but still, I had hopes for the future.

Her mother is a GRO and I had fought to keep her out of the family business... but it appears that slowly and surely... daughter will follow the money trail into the 'entertainment' industry.

• Like 4

TexasRangersFan
Posted
Posted

I understand how you must feel. It can be very heartbreaking at times here. As it can be anywhere really. I to have had similar heartbreak with my own family both here and in America. The lure of easy money and what they perceive to be fun and happiness is something that can be nearly impossible to get them to change. Unfortunately there really is no easy answer to this. The only answer I have found that works for me is to continue on with my life the best I can and hope the best for them.

• Like 3

Bruce
Posted
Posted

I understand how you must feel. It can be very heartbreaking at times here. As it can be anywhere really. I to have had similar heartbreak with my own family both here and in America. The lure of easy money and what they perceive to be fun and happiness is something that can be nearly impossible to get them to change. Unfortunately there really is no easy answer to this. The only answer I have found that works for me is to continue on with my life the best I can and hope the best for them.

Yup. My life goes on. Since I do not get involved in the actual disipline of kids or try to force them into doing things, I am somewhat removed from the plot. Although I do try to be a positive influence on them, they are the ones who must decide to be commited to school or a future rather then simply living day to day.

I have in the past used her own GRO mother as an example to show that while the mother is still attractive today, she is uneducated, drinks to excess and throws violent rages of frustration as she is not happy with her life. 7 kids, some by men unknown, a somewhat lazy husband, living in a hut with a tin roof on the side of a hill at age 33 (?).... which is quite a drop for a very good looking girl of 15 who went off to be a GRO and make the good money. 

Life caught up to her. Now her daughter of 16 is facing the same issues and decisions..... and has not learned a damn thing from her mother's mistakes.

Well as the barber yells when a man steps out of his chair.......................... NEXT!   

• Like 3

brock
Posted
Posted

You are fighting a losing battle Bruce, But if you can help just one person have a good life, Then it is all worthwhile

• Like 5

Bruce
Posted
Posted

You are fighting a losing battle Bruce, But if you can help just one person have a good life, Then it is all worthwhile

Well I have ups and downs but all in all I am having a good time and Hope to make a positive lasting impression on some of these kids that there are more possibilities than getting that 'good' job at Jollibees!

• Like 3

lonewolf
Posted
Posted

bruce don t give up completely, me and my wife help a few young people before and it is heart breaking watching yhem make bad choices even while trying to help them. but we learned later after they finilly realized what they done to themselves, you could see some of the good you tried to teach them comeout especially in how there took care of their children , was their lives perfect no but better than it was and it gives hope for their chidren.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Sorry to hear it Bruce, as a social worker I can empathize completely.  I try to give them the tools to help themselves make the best of life, it's up to them whether they choose to make use of them.  Having said that, it can be disappointing and even heart wrenching at times but it's the wins that keep you going.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
westhmess
Posted
Posted

Being new to Phils, I don't know what a GRO is. Mind sharing. Just trying to learn.

Wes

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Being new to Phils, I don't know what a GRO is. Mind sharing. Just trying to learn.

Wes

GRO is Guest Relations Officer.... or the bar girl who annoys you until you buy her a 450p drink.... Sometimes but not always also a CSW (commercial sex worker) which is the current correct term for prostitute.

westhmess
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the info, as jaded as it is. lol I don't think she could annoy me enough to pay five times the price for a drink. You? Thanks again for the info. Have a great day.

• Like 1