Tcl Led Tvs

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Ireally dont know about the specs. mentioned but all i gotta say is that i bought a Sony bravia 50 inch  lcd tv.  march last year, when i got home here in Olongapo, a new local purchase at Ocampo store, for 48,000 pesos and till today never turned it off yet. thats over 1 year of cable tv. on the tv. input.   Dvd on hdmi1. and cctv security cameras on a 6 split hdmi2 screen . i dont know where Sony gets its parts, but for me thats one good  lcd . tv. and its only 2 inches thick. to me , money well spent.  tanks  ej.

That is a nice price for a 50 inch LCD last year.  LCD's are hard to find now and I was perfectly happy with the technology.  I was in Ocampo yesterday and didn't notice Sony, only LG and off-brands, but I may have walked right by them and ignored them.  I have been biased against Sony for many years because of all the proprietary crap they pull, but they do have some fine products and I would consider one of their TVs.  I will stop by again and take a look.s

Seems that most here are LED or Plasma.  Jake and Dougbert, are Plasmas still energy hogs and will they last?  I'm talking about TVs, not slot machines!   :bash:    :hystery:

OMW. did you ask the salesman at store?I got my Sony purchased and delivered.over the phone, COD. they even threw in a Sony dvd player, for cash  sale on tv. they only had 2 left when i got mine, none were on desplay. i had to ask for mine. they were hard on selling me a 46inch LG.  Try the Royal duty free store in base , one of my tenants work there and said he has seen some nice bigscreen s there tanks  ej.

I'll try that and take a look at Royal too.  I go in Royal often but I don't think I looked at the TVs.  Pure Gold Duty Free had some LG but the selection was small and the prices didn't knock my socks off.

• Like 2

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

have you considered buying a CLASS B unit?

much. way much cheaper than in the store front yet same or nearly same warranty

Pittman, where would I find these?  What exactly does CLASS B mean?

CLASS B.. it is a unit that is not sold in the store but either at the service center or during a "Warehouse sale"

example,SAMSUNG , has various "service centers" some which has certain items, be it a air con ,Tv, or other appliances

. some times you may have to call different Numbers to find out where such an item is,,

my experience in the past , is that SONY.Panasonic. sharp, has NO CLASS B available to the public

LG does but they only have a sale for them ,

Samsung and GE(CYA industries)  is the only 2 that i have experience , and this was from 2008/09.

its hard to explain somethings via a post , but i hope that what i have given is helpful

• Like 1

Dougbert
Posted
Posted

Seems that most here are LED or Plasma. Jake and Dougbert, are Plasmas still energy hogs and will they last?

I think Jake and the other guys covered most of it.  But one thing should be clarified...there are no LED based TVs.  The LED technology is the newer and better backlight technology for LCD panels. 

<nerd mode ON> LCD panels are essentially just a big matrix of little shutters that allow each little pixel to be varied from on to off where "on" means it is mostly transparent and "off" means it is mostly opaque.  Each pixel has a passive color filter on it as well.  Behind these pixels is a light source.  Older panels will have CCFL (cold cathode flourescent lamp) backlights.  These are power hungry, get dimmer (and shift in color) with age, and can't easily be controlled for brightness.  They are basically always on and the pixels' LC material controls the brightness.  This gives a limited range of brightness so the contrast ratio between darkest and lightest is pretty low (plasma is much better).

LED backlights have several advantages over CCFL.  They are more power efficient.  They don't dim much with age.  If they are arrayed directly behind the LC panel they can be modulated in brightness to give a much higher contrast ratio in the final picture.  In particular, blacks are really dark (where on a CCFL backlit panel they are dark gray).  Color fidelity is better because the spectrum produced by LEDs can be made to better match what the eye sees.  Note that some of the ultra-thin LED backlight panels have edge-illumination which means the dynamic backlight can't be done as well as with a full array backlight.

A totally new technology not using LC at all is used on some smaller devices (smart phones, tablets).  This is OLED (organic LED) where each pixel is an active emitter of light.  Scaling this up to large displays has been slow for various even more "FM" reasons which I will omit.  One day it may happen or something even better may be developed. <nerd mode OFF>

I've got a first generation 55" LED backlight TV from Samsung--full rear LED array with dynamic backlight modulation.  Blacks are very black and it can get too bright when watching in a dark room.  It's about 4" thick and weighs around 100lbs (45 kilos).  It replaced a 27" Sony Trinitron CRT TV which was 24" deep and also weighed about 100lbs!

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Ok, which one of you experts want to tell them about the new paper monitor and television screens that will be out in the next little while...   One of the ways they presented this was with the idea of going to a library or book store, you buy a book, take it home and then, when you are ready, you open the cover and watch the movie!  Or your screen gets something on it?  Take the screen paper out, install a new piece of paper and continue on as if normal...  hehe!  I saw the demo and I was told to expect them in various sizes within 2 to 3 years - maybe even less!

:mocking:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

I ended up buying an 42 inch LG LED SMART TV today.  I looked at a lot of TVs over the past few weeks (that is half the fun, right?!)  

TCL and Skyworth both have some great pictures when viewing the demo content, usually cartoon movies.  At the recommendation of a friend, I brought in a hard drive to test with.  The Skyworth would not play the first MKV file I tried and on most other formats the sound was barely there.  I used a Gotye "Somebody that I used to know" music video to compare video on all sets.  Both TCL and Skyworth showed some artifacts that would bother me.   Samsung and LG both handled this well.  Samsung is the pricier brand so I ended up with LG.  When I bought my TVs in Kentucky a few  years ago, LG did not seem to be on par with Samsung, so I bought Samsung, but now LG seems just as good.

I bought from Western Appliance again.  SM and Savers had some good deals.  Abensen has some promos.  However, Western will always give you a lower price than listed if you ask, and they end up beating the others.  Western will often have higher starting prices than SM and Abensen, but they will come down.  SM and Abensen are "what you see is what you get" as far as pricing.  Just different sales strategies at the different chains.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

I ended up buying an 42 inch LG LED SMART TV today.  I looked at a lot of TVs over the past few weeks (that is half the fun, right?!)  

I know you are a smart shopper and did your homework.  Well done my friend!

http://www.amazon.com/LG-42LS3400-42-Inch-1080p-60Hz/dp/B0074WVSGC/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1366642551&sr=1-6&keywords=42+inch+led+smart+tv

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I know you are a smart shopper and did your homework.  Well done my friend!

http://www.amazon.com/LG-42LS3400-42-Inch-1080p-60Hz/dp/B0074WVSGC/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1366642551&sr=1-6&keywords=42+inch+led+smart+tv

Actually Jake I accidentally post that first line and now I edited it!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Has anybody had any experience with the TCL TVs sold in the Philippines or the US?  I see them in the major stores here and the HD quality is very good, rivaling the big names that cost 10-20 k more for at 39-46 inch set.

They sell in the US too but I don't know if they are the same units (manufacturing quality wise) as the Phils units.  The guy at SM said they were assembled in Phils with Samsung screens, but that does not seem to make sense because TCL is a Chinese company.

On Amazon.com, the reviews are excellent.  They are currently the "best buys" in LED sets.

It is probably not the set I am interested in, but Abenson has a 39" for p20,999, if anybody is interested.  That is the best price I have seen for ~40 inch set, and the picture is excellent.

Hey OMW,

Besides the manufacturers warranty, can you purchase an extended warranty from the store?

I wonder what services they offer when your new LED TV takes a nose dive within the warranty

period?  I strongly recommend buying a power converter-regulator --1000 Watt Diamond Series

Voltage Transformer with Regulator for about 90 bucks.

attachicon.gifvoltage-converter-dsr-1000-watt.jpg

I also bought a Chinese made 46" LCD (Hisense) for about $350 from WalFart.  It was refurbished

so I bought an extended 3 year warranty.  So far, so good.....

Jake, I took your advice and bought a 1000 watt Panther brand transformer and regulator for a little over $100.  Last week Handyman had another brand on sale for -30% off and when I went back the sale was gone and all the units on the shelf were returns from the sale, so I am glad I waited and bought the Panther.  It seems well built and has both 110 and 220 output, which is perfect for me.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Has anybody had any experience with the TCL TVs sold in the Philippines or the US?  I see them in the major stores here and the HD quality is very good, rivaling the big names that cost 10-20 k more for at 39-46 inch set.

They sell in the US too but I don't know if they are the same units (manufacturing quality wise) as the Phils units.  The guy at SM said they were assembled in Phils with Samsung screens, but that does not seem to make sense because TCL is a Chinese company.

On Amazon.com, the reviews are excellent.  They are currently the "best buys" in LED sets.

It is probably not the set I am interested in, but Abenson has a 39" for p20,999, if anybody is interested.  That is the best price I have seen for ~40 inch set, and the picture is excellent.

Hey OMW,

Besides the manufacturers warranty, can you purchase an extended warranty from the store?

I wonder what services they offer when your new LED TV takes a nose dive within the warranty

period?  I strongly recommend buying a power converter-regulator --1000 Watt Diamond Series

Voltage Transformer with Regulator for about 90 bucks.

attachicon.gifvoltage-converter-dsr-1000-watt.jpg

I also bought a Chinese made 46" LCD (Hisense) for about $350 from WalFart.  It was refurbished

so I bought an extended 3 year warranty.  So far, so good.....

Jake, I took your advice and bought a 1000 watt Panther brand transformer and regulator for a little over $100.  Last week Handyman had another brand on sale for -30% off and when I went back the sale was gone and all the units on the shelf were returns from the sale, so I am glad I waited and bought the Panther.  It seems well built and has both 110 and 220 output, which is perfect for me.

OH NO.....ANOTHER GEEK ALERT

Right on OMW!  I am now curious just how a converter regulator (any brand) handle the fluctuations off the grid.  

Do you have a DVM (digital volt meter)?  Look at the 220vac input and then compare the voltage variations on

the output side (110vac).  If the regulator is doing its job, you shouldn't see much of a swing and definitely, no

spikes.  

With the AC input remaining stable, the internal power supply of your LCD TV is a happy camper converting

AC to nice and clean DC voltages (3.5v, 5v, 12v and 24vdc).  May i suggest again about reducing the factory

settings of brightness, contrast and backlight (if adjustable).  

By the way, how are the selections of DVD's and BlueRay disks over there?  I bet ya that playing AVATAR in

high definition is awesome on your new LG.  I'm coming over with a 12 pack and popcorn, OK?  

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
OH NO.....ANOTHER GEEK ALERT   Right on OMW!  I am now curious just how a converter regulator (any brand) handle the fluctuations off the grid.   Do you have a DVM (digital volt meter)?  Look at the 220vac input and then compare the voltage variations on the output side (110vac).  If the regulator is doing its job, you shouldn't see much of a swing and definitely, no spikes.     With the AC input remaining stable, the internal power supply of your LCD TV is a happy camper converting AC to nice and clean DC voltages (3.5v, 5v, 12v and 24vdc).  May i suggest again about reducing the factory settings of brightness, contrast and backlight (if adjustable).     By the way, how are the selections of DVD's and BlueRay disks over there?  I bet ya that playing AVATAR in high definition is awesome on your new LG.  I'm coming over with a 12 pack and popcorn, OK?  

I don't have a digital meter but I have an old analog one coming over in a BB box.  Maybe I will pick up a digital one if they are cheap.

DVDs are plentiful and older ones are cheap.  BluRay, I honestly can't remember seeing any but they must be around.

I haven't had time to do much with the TV yet so I am just trying the presets for now.  We will have 7 kids in the house for the next few days so Cartoon Network will get burned into the screen!

A lot of the over the air channels don't look that great on the LG but some look very good.  A bad signal just looks worse on a larger screen.  We don't have HD signal now but I might get it.  My BluRay player is still on the way so I have not tried it yet.  I have some digital 1080p on a hard drive and it looks excellent!

• Like 1