Sticker Shock

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Never ceases to amaze me on the cost of electronic items here vs other places ...... been looking to up-grade my TV ..... for no other reason than I want to ...... been looking at 27-32in flat panel LCD's ........... they range from 38000p to 58000p depending on brand and features ...... now I can go on-line to e-cost .... BuyDirect or other discount sites and find the exact same thing for less than 1/2 price ...... and here they have you over a barrel ...... if you ship form outside the Phils you pay whopping costs plus taxed when it gets here ...... if you go get one and smuggle it back in your suit-case you risk getting caught or it getting damaged and have to pay for airfare ...... plus the warranty is null do to non-support .......... So what's the answer ..... bite the bullet and pull out the additional cash ....... anyone know where they sell the most reasonable TV's ...... it just irks me to have to pay double for the same item ....... hummmmmm ... maybe the ol' 27in standard TV ain't so bad after all ....... hahahaha

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
Never ceases to amaze me on the cost of electronic items here vs other places ...... been looking to up-grade my TV ..... for no other reason than I want to ...... been looking at 27-32in flat panel LCD's ........... they range from 38000p to 58000p depending on brand and features ...... now I can go on-line to e-cost .... BuyDirect or other discount sites and find the exact same thing for less than 1/2 price ...... and here they have you over a barrel ...... if you ship form outside the Phils you pay whopping costs plus taxed when it gets here ...... if you go get one and smuggle it back in your suit-case you risk getting caught or it getting damaged and have to pay for airfare ...... plus the warranty is null do to non-support .......... So what's the answer ..... bite the bullet and pull out the additional cash ....... anyone know where they sell the most reasonable TV's ...... it just irks me to have to pay double for the same item ....... hummmmmm ... maybe the ol' 27in standard TV ain't so bad after all ....... hahahaha
Walmart :lol: :SugarwareZ-037:

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Sent via Balikbayan box very well padded, worked for me.If ever the TV needed service it

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Thanks Old55 ...... I'll give it some thought Hey Tom S ............. maybe you can strap one to your back when you fly here on Dumbo on your next trip ...... just don't forget to stop and let him fill up on peanuts ..... OK ...... hahahahaha

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
now I can go on-line to e-cost .... BuyDirect or other discount sites and find the exact same thing for less than 1/2 price ...... and here they have you over a barrel ...... if you ship form outside the Phils you pay whopping costs plus taxed when it gets here
Maybe the retailers have higher costs like import tax on there stock, freight charges,goverment tax, also they have to pay rent and other business costs which might be higher than the states in comparison to takings.The retailer might have to hold millions of peso worth of stock that takes awhile to move especially big cost items like large TVs. This might drive the price up.I dont know if any of what I wrote is correct but just a thought.

retired
Posted
Posted

Hey , guys it's not just tv's . Just went through this regarding a digital camera . US cost $120 . Philippine cost $ 245+ .Fortunately my buddy Tom was able to get for me . Of course a camera doesn't take up much space . :SugarwareZ-037:

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
Thanks Old55 ...... I'll give it some thought Hey Tom S ............. maybe you can strap one to your back when you fly here on Dumbo on your next trip ...... just don't forget to stop and let him fill up on peanuts ..... OK ...... hahahahaha
Flying elephants no longer use flight paths in asia after North Korea threatened to shoot one down. Something about giving a speach outside when one flew over. Some sort of cleanup operation was involved. :D :lol: :SugarwareZ-037:

twostrokes
Posted
Posted

Just give up TV for somethsing more productive, like bar hopping....

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
Just give up TV for somethsing more productive, like bar hopping....
That could be hazardous to his health. I know duties on electronics are quite high. There could be other reasons as well.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Just give up TV for somethsing more productive, like bar hopping.... Hahahahaha .... thank you sir but this is about trying to save a few bucks ........ somehow I feel this method would be slightly more costly ........ but I will admit probably lots more fun ...... hahahaha But Tom ...... where is your spirit of adventure ..... just remember Snoopy and the Red Baron ...... the Peanuts version ...... hahahahaha