Foreigner Traveling With Minor

retired
Posted
Posted

The question below was posed on a local expat forum with no response to date . I am not aware of any special precautions that might need to be taken since the minor is not of Philippine nationality but wondering what others thoughts might be .

" I'm a French citizen planing to visit the Philippines with my niece who is 11 years old. Apart from the document authorizing her to leave France what kind of paper do I need to enter the Philippines and travel by planes within the Philippines ?

Any idea which government service I should contact ? "

northtoalaska
Posted
Posted

i've had some personal experience with a situation similar to this. i suggest, obviously, a passport, and, a notorized letter of permission from the parents. but nothing is promised to ward off an inquiring official. and, given the human trafficking problem, their extra scrutiny is certainly warranted.

• Like 1

Markham
Posted
Posted (edited)

Travelling to and within this country with a minor child who is not one's offspring is a venture I would avoid at all costs. The various laws pertaining to children and human-trafficking make no distinction between Philippine and non-Philippine persons.

At the very least he will require a Power of Attorney - written in English - granting him full care and control subscribed to by both parents and that should have a recent passport-type photo of the child permanently affixed. As well as notarisation, the PoA will require an Apostille from the French Foreign Ministry and then be authenticated by the Philippine Embassy in Paris.

However even that may not be sufficient and he may well encounter problems including the inability to get past the security guards at airport terminal entrances. He may also fall under suspicion wherever they stay and may find himself the subject of investigation.

If he's looking for sun and decent beaches, I suggest he looks to the Maldives as a better alternative destination.

Edited by Markham

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

The way the law is written in Philippines I would not travel alone with a minor unless I was the legal guardian.  Any kind of paper I might be able to obtain would be good because so many CRs have no tissue but beyond that I would not expect any piece of paper to protect me from over zealous 'human trafficking' witch hunters.

Of course, if I was traveling with the minor and a legal age filipina who had agreed to assist me then I would expect no trouble whatsoever.

• Like 1

samatm
Posted
Posted

If you are both caucasian no one will bat an eye.   If  she is Asian and you are caucasian you  had better have all kinds  of documentation in hand  and even then I would really think two or three times before setting yourself up.   If you are both Asian keep the paperwork handy , but no worries.  

Good luck.

• Like 1

brock
Posted
Posted

The ban applies to any person who is not the child’s relative up to the fourth degree or has no any bond recognized by law,

Its the guys niece, So he is ok, So the law says,,,,, But remember this is the Philippines

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted (edited)

The RA7610 law can be interpreted in many different ways by different officials. I have grandchildren here by marriage but some officials (Extremely Nationalistic ones) may not recognize me as such in that I'm not blood for I'm not Filipino. To this day if Myrlita & I are sitting in a restaurant with any of our grandchildren, I will not allow Myrlita to get up and leave without taking them with her. Remember in this country you are guilty until proven innocent and then they may still hold and deport you (You have no rights here). I would still love to know the outcome of that Sweedish man. Was he ever cleared? Jailed? Deported?

Edited by Steve & Myrlita

retired
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the input folks . Person in question was advised in regards to potential issues .

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Long time back I was traveling with a with a minor, had trouble as soon as we tried to check in. They would not let us board until he put his pick and shovel into his checked in luggage.

:lol:

Sorry

Please ban me from the topic  :)

• Like 2