Pdc?....wtf???

dalidali
Posted
Posted

I my quest to find an apartment or house to rent via Cebu Craig's list or Sulit, I often see where the owner or agent is posting terms to include monthly rental checks to be post dated for the length of the contract.

Such as May 1st, June 1st and so on.

Is this a new trend and has it become so bad with fraudsters and "runners" that post dated checks will be the norm soon?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

From what I have heard here and from others this request is not unusual as are other outrageous demands. Negotiate whatever terms work best for you. At the very least you will need to provide first last and a large damage deposit that you will never see again.

• Like 1

dalidali
Posted
Posted

From what I have heard here and from others this request is not unusual as are other outrageous demands. Negotiate whatever terms work best for you. At the very least you will need to provide first last and a large damage deposit that you will never see again.

What would be the best way to insure that security deposit is recovered?.

Would SPECIFIC language in the rental contract be of any assurance? Or is that pie in the sky dreaming?

Any rental owners who have a habit of NOT returning the deposit, based on a satisfactory inspection, should be outed here and any others that accept ads for rentals.

Those who engage in the practice of not returning a security deposit are no better than a common thief!!

I HATE THIEVES!! Common or rare!!

Sure, there are horror stories on both sides no doubt, but rental property owners are in a "business" and with that, comes a certain amount of "risk" that it is nearly impossible to mitigate.

• Like 1

Bigdog
Posted
Posted

Well in three winters of renting in LapuLapu I've never paid more than first months rent and one months deposit . These were short term rentals too , from 3-5 months. I make sure that its in the written rental agreement that my deposit is "consumable" and the final electric and water bill will be paid at the average of my prievious months bill ( i usually add 1000 p just to be sure). In three years I've had no problems doing it this way. Altho i have walked out of a couple homes when they wouldnt come off the 2 months deposit . Remember once they have your money theres no recourse to getting it back other than the landlords good will . I also do a move in inspection video with the landlord , paying close attention to any problems and also a move out video with them to show the condition when i left..almost everyone has a phone or camera that will take video.

Oh one other thing always talk to the OWNERS of the property not just the rental agent , agents tend to "pad" the rental prices .. saved almost 6000/mth on the second house i rented . Always be polite and respectful but dont be a pushover.. In negotiating with the owner or rental agent its a good idea to write it all down as alot of thier English comprehension is much better with written words than spoken words.

• Like 3

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

My experience from renting is that most will require you to pay a damage deposit which is the equivalent of 2 months rent and the first month's rent and sign a one year contract before you move in. The owner can request post dated checks if he wants to but doesn't mean you have to agree. Just tell him or her you don't have a checking account in the Philippines. Most of the foreigners I know don't have a checking accounts in the Philippines. They use cash for rent, paying utility bills and most purchases.

Filipinos are famous for as soon as they get some money in their hands they go and spend it so your 2 months deposit is gone shortly after you give it to the owner or agent. Therefore when its time for you to leave or move they probably won't have the money to give back to you so they make up charges for damages or give other excuses why you can't get your deposit back.

Edited by Americano
  • Like 2

dalidali
Posted
Posted (edited)

I would certainly walk out if any agent or owner insisted on me giving them 11 (eleven) consecutively numbered and post dated checks in one fell swoop....irregardless if I had a checking account or not.

But that's just me... :thumbsup:

Edited by dalidali
  • Like 3

dalidali
Posted
Posted (edited)

:thumbsup: oppps...

Edited by dalidali

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Are you looking for a place to live or to stay for a few months? If it's the former, I wouldn't bother trying to find a place on the internet from outside the country. Check into a pension, hire a driver, and look around. There are good and bad landlords, you'll get a better feel in person. First and last month rent and separate 1 month security deposit are standard in my experience. The 4 leases I've signed have all been for an initial 6 month or less period. Take your time, most housing mistakes are made by rushing.

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

There are more landlords asking for the year's worth of cheques but you can try and barter with them to a more acceptable payment schedule.  If they don't want to move on their terms?  Lots of others around that will.

Even boardinghouses are changing.  My Special Someone had to change to paying her rent in 3 month blocks because so many students were just moving out each month as soon as they found something "better".  Last year of school coming up finally!  I hope she doesn't have to do the 3 month thing again but that's what happens if you want a private room close to the university.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

You also have to look at the situation from the landlord's point of view. Once a renter in installed, it is difficult to kick the person out if they stop paying. The post dated checks system allows the landlord to continue collecting rent for the term of the contract by merely depositing one of the checks every month. If the check bounces, it is a violation of banking laws, a more grevious offense compared to not paying the rent.

Everything in negotiable. Should you look trustworthy, maybe the post dated checks are not necessary.

The situation is different in the United States. A landlord can access fee-based databanks similar to credit rating agencies. Within seconds, they would know whether you are an on-time payer, sometimes delinquent or problematic renter.

• Like 1