Pdc?....wtf???

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Once a renter in installed, it is difficult to kick the person out if they stop paying.

I wouldn't bet on that, I believe "tenant rights" here are largely a myth. A landlord-tenant dispute goes first to a barangay counsel; if the landlord has connections, as many do, he will win at that level. As a foreigner, I would never plan to win against a citizen landlord.  

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Once a renter in installed, it is difficult to kick the person out if they stop paying.

I wouldn't bet on that, I believe "tenant rights" here are largely a myth. A landlord-tenant dispute goes first to a barangay counsel; if the landlord has connections, as many do, he will win at that level. As a foreigner, I would never plan to win against a citizen landlord.  

I one apartment complex we lived in the owner lived right up the street and if you were behind in your rent you better not leave your apartment because when you came back you would find a 3/4 in thick plywood 4x8 nailed to the door sill of your apartment and no way for you to get in .... then you were charged for the nail holes in the door jam amongst other things ..... and like Mike said you will definitely end up at the brgy captains office ..... and you will pay .... unless you skip out and leave all your stuff ..... I've personally seen it happen ..... :cheersty:

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I think JJ was referring to everybody - Filipinos included.  I have heard that many times those with close ties to the Captain get away with it.

johnb
Posted
Posted (edited)

As a Landlord here in Cebu, i feel that I should say something on this thread, our policy is to simply ask for one months rent in advance and one months rent as deposit, the rental deposit is fully refundable on departure but can be used to offset damages or losses to our fully furnished apartments, in the last seven years i have never deducted anything from any tenant and always returned the deposit in full, having said that one of our last tenants I did ask him to leave, in his time with us he had broken five dining chairs, the door of the fridge, two door locks which resulted in him breaking two door frames,actually the list goes on but I'll spare you. I have also thrown out two other tenants, just allowing them time to collect there things and move on, i always returned deposits, was just very pleased to see the back of them and as a carpenter I can easily fix the damage, I don't believe any legal document is worth a damn regarding rental agreements. All of the tenants mentioned above were foreigners.......... we use all the local free sites to advertise and find no problem getting tenants, but getting good tenants is not so easy and have learnt over the years not to allow anyone not in country to book our apartments, many just dont turn up,Never rent for less than one month, always insist that they view the apartment, this also allows us to view them, be cautious of single men, sorry to say that but plenty of sexpats around and I dont want them in one of our places, simply because of the way this country works it would be easy for the powers that be to link me as a fellow foreigner to be in some way in cahoots with them, fact is its not easy being a landlord and my wife and I are now working toward winding down and selling up and moving on , I just have a little work to complete before July, then that's all structural work complete, then a lick of paint for a face lift, and sell up

Edited by johnb
  • Like 4

dalidali
Posted
Posted

Thank you JohnB.....of course there is always the "other side of the story" and I am sure there are many, like yourself, who are engaged in rental properties would echo your voice.

I am actively seeking a one year rental (or less) via the various rental ads posted on the internet and the novia is on the ground now in Cebu doing the same.

I would appreciate any internet links where I can peruse the rentals you offer.

If via a private message works better for you.....please feel free to do so.

• Like 2

johnb
Posted
Posted

Thank you JohnB.....of course there is always the "other side of the story" and I am sure there are many, like yourself, who are engaged in rental properties would echo your voice.

I am actively seeking a one year rental (or less) via the various rental ads posted on the internet and the novia is on the ground now in Cebu doing the same.

I would appreciate any internet links where I can peruse the rentals you offer.

If via a private message works better for you.....please feel free to do so.

Hi Dalidali, I have found the following free sites useful, cebuclassifieds, adpost.com, cebu.locanto.ph, sulit.com . myproperty.ph

we wouldnt have anything free till the end of May or early june, unless your a bit of a handyman then i may be able to cut you a deal finishing of a project .

John

• Like 3

dalidali
Posted
Posted

Check your private messages JohnB.

• Like 1

rkdinpi
Posted
Posted

Post dated checks are a fairly common request.  

I believe it is technically illegal to issue such in the States, where I came from, whereas here they are considered assets on the books.

In my experience, if you terminate the lease early, the landlord will return the unused checks.