How About Kia?

Thomas
Posted
Posted

What experience do you have of KIA you who have/had one?

I wonder because I saw some ads with low cost rather new KIAs 80k-105k pesos for 2005-2010 years they claim.

(I will probably not want to spend more than maximum 200 000p on a car (undepending of if I will have enough money left or not  :)    when I have bought other things) because after I have checked where to settle, I will probably drive very litle, but need a car, because I plan to live in the countryside. Plan to have some cheap motorbike or such too, if wife and I want to go in different directions  :)

• Like 1

Geoff Thomas
Posted
Posted

Get an XR 200 Honda and see where you lay your hat!Cheap cars only give you expensive bills. Buy her a multicab if you must!

• Like 1

bootleultras
Posted
Posted

Check if theres been any damage done due to the flooding during typhoons, remember there were some bad ones prior to 2010.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Get an XR 200 Honda and see where you lay your hat!Cheap cars only give you expensive bills. Buy her a multicab if you must!

Well. A Suzuki Minivan is a reserve-reserve alternative  :)    if I don't find any better, but I wonder if e g KIA can be an alternative.

Check if theres been any damage done due to the flooding during typhoons, remember there were some bad ones prior to 2010.

Yes, I will try to. Such is a reason I perhaps will prefer buying private NOT recondisioned =Not replaced/painted over  :)   so better chance to notice flooding.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

If you are going to buy a used Kia here is something you might want to know about the Kia Sportage (we own one and love it) ..... as I stated in a previous post the actual year of the car and the OR CR year are 2 different things .... the OR and CR reflect the year the car entered the Philippines ..... not sure if this applies to all Kia's or not but here is how to tell what year your Sportage is ...... look for your ID number plate it should be on the drivers side by the brake master cylinder on the firewall under the hood ..... you will see a steel plate with numbers and letters on it .....

Counting from left to right count 9 digits then you will see the following letter or number and will be one of the following

R ..... 1994

S ..... 1995

T ..... 1996

V ..... 1997

W .... 1998

X ..... 1999

A ..... 2000

1 ..... 2001

2 ..... 2002

3 ..... 2003

4 ..... 2004

5 ..... 2005

I have no listing after 2005 but I'm sure you can find it on the internet ..... also each letter and number means something in regards to your car .... you can again find this using Google .... :thumbsup: :cheersty:

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

If you are going to buy a used Kia here is something you might want to know about the Kia Sportage (we own one and love it) ..... as I stated in a previous post the actual year of the car and the OR CR year are 2 different things .... the OR and CR reflect the year the car entered the Philippines ..... not sure if this applies to all Kia's or not but here is how to tell what year your Sportage is ...... look for your ID number plate it should be on the drivers side by the brake master cylinder on the firewall under the hood ..... you will see a steel plate with numbers and letters on it .....

Counting from left to right count 9 digits then you will see the following letter or number and will be one of the following

R ..... 1994

S ..... 1995

T ..... 1996

V ..... 1997

W .... 1998

X ..... 1999

A ..... 2000

1 ..... 2001

2 ..... 2002

3 ..... 2003

4 ..... 2004

5 ..... 2005

I have no listing after 2005 but I'm sure you can find it on the internet ..... also each letter and number means something in regards to your car .... you can again find this using Google .... :thumbsup: :cheersty:

Thank you. I had thought of asking my Swedish brother-in-law about such for other car brands, which he know, but I don't believe he know KIA.

I guess  6.... 2006   :)

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Kia is a very nicely made vehicle if it is not too old.   The reason I say that is, before Hyundai bought them out, there were a lot of quality issues as well as parts availability...  Not severe but enough it may give you a headache.  If you get one that is about 2 or 3 years in with Hyundai (depending on model), it will be pretty close to the same vehicle with some minor changes or a slightly different body / appearance.  

I have owned several Hyundai's and would own another or a Kia if the price is right.  I do have one serious question about them.  Here in Canada, the parts are expensive.  Is it the same in the Philippines?

:89:

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Kia is a very nicely made vehicle if it is not too old.   The reason I say that is, before Hyundai bought them out, there were a lot of quality issues as well as parts availability...  Not severe but enough it may give you a headache.  If you get one that is about 2 or 3 years in with Hyundai (depending on model), it will be pretty close to the same vehicle with some minor changes or a slightly different body / appearance.  

I have owned several Hyundai's and would own another or a Kia if the price is right.  I do have one serious question about them.  Here in Canada, the parts are expensive.  Is it the same in the Philippines?

:89:

From around what year models are they OK?

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I don't think it's a matter of what years to go to as long as you look as long as you look on-line to find out what the issues were for whatever year's model you are looking at and checking to make sure that this particular one doesn't have these issues.  Obviously the newer model you look at, the better it should be.

I still would like to have an old Suzuki that I can open the back on...  Samurai or Sidekick (or what ever the models were called there)...   The engines ran forever and could be swapped out in a day or less with basic tools.  The 4-wheel drive hubs on the front could be turned to free-wheel and thus reduced drag AND increased your gas mileage greatly!  And they were fun to drive!  Rumour has it that Suzuki may licence another company to make updated versions of the old Sidekick 2 door with both hard and soft tops - and be made to be worked on with basic tools again...  I would be first in line for one of those!!!

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I don't think it's a matter of what years to go to as long as you look as long as you look on-line to find out what the issues were for whatever year's model you are looking at and checking to make sure that this particular one doesn't have these issues.  Obviously the newer model you look at, the better it should be.

I still would like to have an old Suzuki that I can open the back on...  Samurai or Sidekick (or what ever the models were called there)...   The engines ran forever and could be swapped out in a day or less with basic tools.  The 4-wheel drive hubs on the front could be turned to free-wheel and thus reduced drag AND increased your gas mileage greatly!  And they were fun to drive!  Rumour has it that Suzuki may licence another company to make updated versions of the old Sidekick 2 door with both hard and soft tops - and be made to be worked on with basic tools again...  I would be first in line for one of those!!!

Yes. I just became curious of KIA, when I saw some low prices of year models they say is 2005 or younger (but probably just arriving year)

but, because of I will probably just drive litle, I don't bother much about fuel use, but not fun if have an old car with COMPUTER, because such normaly cost crazy much to "repair". (=The car companies only sell WHOLE computers costing much, instead of just replace some CHEAP broke electronic part...   :th_unfair:      Some waste to have to spend 40 000 p or so for a spare part, if the WHOLE CAR did cost 100 000 p   :mocking:     

So probably I will just buy a cheap simple car as e g a Toyota Other MT "jeep", because biger chance local car repaimen can handle such.

• Like 1