Baggage Handlers Filmed Stealing From Bags

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I guess if this can happen in italy then it could be happening anywhere.  :(

Baggage handlers filmed stealing from bags

A hidden-camera sting has caught a group of Italian baggage handlers stealing from passengers' bags in what is likely the only place at an airport with no security.

The footage shows 29 people taking cash, jewellery and cameras while inside the holds of aircraft during unloading at Rome's busy Leonardo Da Vinci airport, as well as other airports around the country.
Italian authorities are now investigating 57 other people in the operation, which began in 2011 and has spread to half a dozen airports.
Investigators said they initially had no clue how valuables kept getting stolen because security in the baggage handling area at airports was so high.
They realised the only place not being watched was under the plane and quickly installed special temperature and pressure resistant cameras.
Some of the 2000 hours worth of recordings have been released to media, showing the baggage handlers systematically going through passengers' bags, even slashing them open and unpicking locks.
The suspects face up to six years in prison if charged with theft and property damage.

video and story here; http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/2013/05/04/15/26/italian-baggage-handlers-filmed-stealing-from-luggage

• Like 5

Bruce
Posted
Posted

All too common in the US. News report after news report on not only the baggage handlers stealing, but also TSA staff as well.

• Like 1

brock
Posted
Posted

I,m Stupid,  :bash:

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

It is not nearly as bad as it used to be.  These days, most handling areas will have visible cams as strong deterrent  so no need for hidden cams.  Hidden cams might be used (maybe with a court order) when the local union has objected to visible cams.

I worked for a package delivery company and we had the same issues, before video was widely available and cheap.  In the early 90's a group of my former coworkers had a "ring" where they would post guards and then in a secluded place, go through packages looking for valuables.  Most of what they took was not supposed to be in the packages (cash and valuables were not an accepted commodity) so who knows how much they took and got away with.  They were finally nailed when management hired an outside security company, who planted a new hire to infiltrate the "ring".  It took a few months but he did, and 8 long time employees were fired.  The sad thing was that the company did not prosecute them.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I find it amazing that some well paid union workers would risk their career and pensions to steal some trinkets.  I know it happens, but in my experience most people are smarter than that, but then, I'm talking about Canadians   :hystery:

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Yes, we all have sent the expensive gift in Checked Baggage, right Brock?  hehe!  I know I have!!!  Still, I do not expect people who have to be vetted to work inside the fence on an airfield to steal out of my bags!  Seriously - ever know anyone who got fired from a job behind the wire?  Does the term "never to work again" ring a bell?  How could people be so stupid?  I guess the same way that companies let the incidence of theft in this area get so large...

:mocking:

• Like 1

Beachboy
Posted
Posted
but also TSA staff as well.
  TSA had a big problem with this in it's early days.  These guys had all the advantages. They'd x-ray the bags and know which one's carried the good stuff.  Now they have security guards watching the security guards ... lol
  • Like 2

dalidali
Posted
Posted

Back in the day.....there was a security guard firm named The Wackenhut Corporation.

They were the ones operating the security, under contract, at the international airport in San Diego, CA(lifornia) pre-Osama days.

These guys made maybe a nickel above the minimum wage at the time and now they have been assimilated into "real" security folks or morphed into full on Federal law enforcement personnel.

I imagine things have changed and gobs and gobs of training has taken place since then.

Apparently, it seems some missed the "personal integrity" courses.

And now we can all thank jihadists all over the world for a safer flying experience.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
It is not nearly as bad as it used to be.  These days, most handling areas will have visible cams as strong deterrent  so no need for hidden cams.  Hidden cams might be used (maybe with a court order) when the local union has objected to visible cams.  

Yes but there are no cameras in the baggage hold of the plane and this is where they were going through the bags.

• Like 1