Taxi Fare From Cebu Airport And How Not To Get Ripped Off When Taking One.

til
Posted
Posted

Actually I never bothered to find the cheaper taxis.I just pay those 100-150 pesos more for that bit of luxury (not dragging my baggage around + sitting in a bigger,nicer car).It's only about 3 CHF/$ so why bother?

TheMason
Posted
Posted
Actually I never bothered to find the cheaper taxis.I just pay those 100-150 pesos more for that bit of luxury (not dragging my baggage around + sitting in a bigger,nicer car).It's only about 3 CHF/$ so why bother?
I agree. The last thing I want to do after a trans-Pacific flight is hassle with the taxi driver. The higher fare doesn't bother me at all. I don't consider it getting ripped off because they tell you what it will cost and then charge you what they said they would. The taxis in NYC have a set rate for fares from JFK to any point in the 5 boroughs. Most times, the set rate is higher than the meter rate to your destination would have been, but that doesn't mean you got ripped off.I had one experience taking a white taxi to save money in Manila. It was me, my then GF, and her friend. He agreed to use the meter, but when we got to our destination, he jacked up the fare to 1200p (meter said 150) and held my luggage hostage. Since we were not staying at a hotel, there was no doorman or anyone else to intervene on our behalf. It was either pay the money, kick his ass, or walk away without my bags. There really wasn't much choice....we paid the extra fare and chalked it up as a lesson learned.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
While I agree what you said is not that much extra, you must remember that you are but a tourist and when you do those type of things, you make it bad for those of us who spend a lot of time in the Philippines or live there full time. IMO it is exactly because of the way some like yourself act and feel that they feel they can get away with jacking up the prices. I would much rather tip extra because I want to, than to allow them to charge me extra because I am white. Now as far as p100 to p150 extra, I have had people at the airport quote me p500 to p600 and that is far more than the p200 max that it should cost to get where we are going and besides that, the poor hard working taxi driver is not the one who ends up getting all that extra, the shouter at the airport gets his or her share and they do not deserve it IMO just for being in the right place at the right time that we all arrive and deciding who might be able to afford it and who will not because I have heard them quote different prices to dressed down Filipinos compared to what they quoted us and I have heard them quote even more to some fancy dressed arrivals. Do not overpay or at least walk away and say too much as you continue to walk and they will lower the price a few times.
I agree. The last thing I want to do after a trans-Pacific flight is hassle with the taxi driver. The higher fare doesn't bother me at all. I don't consider it getting ripped off because they tell you what it will cost and then charge you what they said they would. The taxis in NYC have a set rate for fares from JFK to any point in the 5 boroughs. Most times, the set rate is higher than the meter rate to your destination would have been, but that doesn't mean you got ripped off.I had one experience taking a white taxi to save money in Manila. It was me, my then GF, and her friend. He agreed to use the meter, but when we got to our destination, he jacked up the fare to 1200p (meter said 150) and held my luggage hostage. Since we were not staying at a hotel, there was no doorman or anyone else to intervene on our behalf. It was either pay the money, kick his ass, or walk away without my bags. There really wasn't much choice....we paid the extra fare and chalked it up as a lesson learned.
See above, but you live in the Philippines and should know better IMO and I know you do not let people rip you off at other times, so what is so different about the airport? I have had the shouters come down from p600 all the way down to p250 just by saying "no Mahal kaayo" and continuing to walk away, so knowing what the price is and knowing that a lower price is just a hundred yards or so away keeps them in line and that is what I am trying to do, let them know that all foreigners do not have money trees to pick from and are not all rich just because we may be white or fly on planes. Again, I would much rather tip the difference if they turn out to be nice and do not try to rip us off, than to allow them to do it, and I feel that if those of us who know better do not let them rip us off, then maybe tourists will feel better about their vacations and come to the Philippines more often. The one biggest complaint that tourists seem to have about the Philippines is that many Filipinos are always trying to rip them off and if we allow it then it can only snowball and get worse but if we nip it in the bud then maybe that driver will have learned and will share with friends and fellow drivers how he got a big tip by not ripping people off and isn't it better for them to earn it than to try to steal it. And yes, IMO charging double or triple a fare is stealing. And your comparison to New York does not apply because the taxis there have to pay big bucks for their medallions in order to run a taxi and in the Philippines most are just rentals. Now as far as the guy who held your luggage hostage, that is exactly because of the feeling that we are all rich and what you should have done was taken his taxi number down and immediately called the police and the LTO and said he robbed you or had the hotel do it for you, because what he did was robbery and you allowing it, only allows him to do it to others. If we do not allow that type of behavior, then it will eventually become less and less until it is finally gone. Also the new meters that give receipts should stop some of it.

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted
If the meter was registering the P150 I would simply make a mobile phone video and do a talk through of what is happening and tell the driver he will be on tonights TV.Or like Mr Lee said contact LTO or the PNP. But video evidence is always worth having either way.

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted
Also depends where your going it could be a lot higher than P150. One other thing is there is another system that isnt V Hire or Taxi service but I cant remember what its called not so cheap on the short runs but if your doing hauls its worth the extra because the vehicles are higher spec than a taxi with a shot suspension. Aprils uncle does this service and its all "fixed rates". Nothing in it for me except helping an uncle out :- http://tropicalpenpals.com/blog/?p=1003 and also a reliable driver that can be trusted.

MikeB
Posted
Posted
The "luggage hostage" is why I stated in my post that I got all my luggage and belongings out of the cab before paying. That cut down his options considerably. It's the principle, I know they work hard for their money but so do I. I think this problem is a lot worse in Manila then Cebu.

til
Posted
Posted
While I agree what you said is not that much extra, you must remember that you are but a tourist and when you do those type of things, you make it bad for those of us who spend a lot of time in the Philippines or live there full time. IMO it is exactly because of the way some like yourself act and feel that they feel they can get away with jacking up the prices. I would much rather tip extra because I want to, than to allow them to charge me extra because I am white.
You might be right in other cases, but at the airport it's a different story. It's not because your white. The taxi driver doesn't make the price. You actually get more for the more money you pay (bigger, nicer Cab with working aircon and enough space for your luggage). I don't think I'm harming anyone that way.
Now as far as p100 to p150 extra, I have had people at the airport quote me p500 to p600 and that is far more than the p200 max that it should cost to get where we are going and besides that, the poor hard working taxi driver is not the one who ends up getting all that extra, the shouter at the airport gets his or her share and they do not deserve it IMO just for being in the right place at the right time that we all arrive and deciding who might be able to afford it
Well actually I always get my price at the booth there (to the right when your outside), which is kind of "official" and they give quite reasonable and consistent prices and they write it down on a slip of paper. Only thing I've noticed is that the prices are about 50 pesos less when I arrive on a domestic flight (with or without Filipinas).It's different than from beeing ripped off by an anonymous taxi driver somewhere in the city who refuses to drive by meter (and usually is driving a small rusty old cab), especially when you want to go to Cordova where they claim they can't get someone to take back to the city (which is not really true). But that happens to my fianc