Renters Adding Minor Improvements

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Below is a picture of the AEG 4.5W shower hot water heater I installed. Cost was 6500php at ACE hardware. The apartment maintenance guy did a good job of installation. There are 2 types of shower heaters. Ones designed for water under pressure and those designed for water that is gravity fed from a tank. Mine is designed for gravity feed since in Baguio the only reliable water is from roof mounted tanks. My tank gets filled 3 days a week, M-W-F. It has a sensor that only turns on the heater if there is enough water flow and also has a sensor to trip off the unit if it detects a short.

The install was in a new studio apartment where the shower was designed for adding a shower hot water. There is a separate circuit breaker and wiring for the heater and the unit is directly wired rather than using a plug. The apartment has a real grounded electrical system which I verified. In addition there were 2 plumbing pipes. One which had water piped from the shower head. The other with water directly from the water supply. We used the pipe directly from the water supply.

So a shower hot water heater can be specific to the type of water supply you have. What works in one location may not work well in another.

Finally, in Baguio you really need the shower hot water heater. Temperatures in Baguio run 10C cooler than in the lowlands. 

post-2107-0-04346600-1368060958_thumb.jp

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

As I look at the pic I see one thing I would change.  The hoses bringing water to the heater and from the heater to the shower head have metal sheathing.  You can get units that use plastic sheathing and save yourself a lot of static shocks from poor grounding.  I have brought my hot water heater with me through 5 moves and its still heats the water but it also has the metal sheathing on the hoses and the shocks I have received range from mild static to what you would get by grabbing an electric fence.  I have not thrown it out but I am careful to avoid touching the metal sheathing.  

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

As I look at the pic I see one thing I would change.  The hoses bringing water to the heater and from the heater to the shower head have metal sheathing.  You can get units that use plastic sheathing and save yourself a lot of static shocks from poor grounding.  I have brought my hot water heater with me through 5 moves and its still heats the water but it also has the metal sheathing on the hoses and the shocks I have received range from mild static to what you would get by grabbing an electric fence.  I have not thrown it out but I am careful to avoid touching the metal sheathing.  

Good suggestion. I will keep that in mind if I ever get shocked. I did verify that the unit was installed with ground and that ground is installed at the breaker box. Also took an outlet apart and verified that ground was connected. Plus I haven't seen any sparks when plugging anything in.

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Solar heat showers is not a bad idea. The simpliest way is to connect several black garden hoses and drape it over a corrugated metal roof. By early evening on a sunny day, the water should be hot.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Depends on the deal you make with your landlord.  We added a CR, laundry room, fenced off the house, and replaced the nipa roof. All for rent credit.  We replaced the water pump and put in a tower - my cost - but the tower, tank, and pump belong to us (about p2,500 pesos so who really cares).  All told we got 6 months rent credit for repairs. 

But it was all discussed in advance.

• Like 3

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

my current house, the landlord has been pretty open minded on some of my "requests"
mostly on the labor portion not on the materials.
before i moved in 4yrs ago, their was some"issues" regarding flooring and since it was brand new,
the 3rd floor wood was " thin" 1/4 in wood, i had doubts that it would hold up. 1/2 or 3/4 in was installed,
that was deducted in full.(the old 1/4 wood was used to make a cabinet that fits in place on the floor or can be moved to partition ) win win for both
when I have installed the "installation" in the ceiling, he allowed the labor(that was just to remove/reinstall the ceiling as i was able to put the material in myself. Of the water filter units, labor was allowed as i added a outside facet
most items under 2-500 i just take the labor/materials myself
he understands that any improvements i suggest or do myself, increases the comfort level for now &for the next tenants.
again, being on GOOD TERMS. GOOD ATTITUDE .helps to get things done, and being repaid
(of course paying the rent on time)

Edited by Pittman apartments Sgn
  • Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

A hot water heater when I am moving out? Comes with me!!!

I would completely agree Bob......unless the owner of the property had re-reimbursed me for the actual purchase cost, plus labor to install, by way of rent deductions, either in one fell swoop or over a period of months.

If that owner did re-reimburse me for my out of pocket expenses, then that hot water shower machine is his as far as I would be concerned.

I would rather choose that option if available, rather than tote around a water heater from hither to yon.

Hehe! Of course! If he paid for them, they are his to keep. I meant in reply to Mike's where the landlord keeps anything that was installed.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Why is it that instant gas hot water units are not used there or even electric hot water systems with a tank? Why is it just those electric shower units used? 

That concludes my Why Is its for the week !

:)

• Like 2

Bil Brock
Posted
Posted

My novia is so concerned with me needing hot water for the shower, she suggested just buying one of those "instant" wall mounted hot water heaters for a rental were contemplating renting soon..

It's quite normal for an owner in the USA to deduct from the monthly rental, costs for improvements done that are above and beyond the normal upkeep, on receiving proper notice and permission to proceed.

Such as replacing a toilet or faucets or a faulty stove.

Does this same protocol hold true in the Phils? Even for an owner of any nationality, including Filipino?

No, but you can take it with you when you move. I put one in our rented house & it will come with us when we finally buy a house.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
Why is it that instant gas hot water units are not used there or even electric hot water systems with a tank? Why is it just those electric shower units used?

The simple answer is the cost for electricity and gas. Filipinos don't understand why foreigners want hot showers when the purpose is to cool down. Baguio would be one exception because it can get cold. The Baguio exception is the Philippine Military Academy which requires all cadets to shower every morning using cold water only. Part of the military discipline, which is why I never wanted to go to Virginia Military Institute (cold showers only for the plebes) where my brother went.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 1