Renters Adding Minor Improvements

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Why is it that instant gas hot water units are not used there or even electric hot water systems with a tank? Why is it just those electric shower units used? 

That concludes my Why Is its for the week !

:)

My guess is because it is ALWAYS hot here and the water is not really that cold ..... JMHO ..... in the US in Florida I didn't need hot water to shower with in the summer but you better believe I used it in the winter ..... some people just like to use hot water .... some to the point of almost boiling so I guess it (like most things) is just a matter of taste or what you are used to ..... plus if you install a tank outside where the sun can hit it you really don't need a hot water heater .....

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Why is it that instant gas hot water units are not used there or even electric hot water systems with a tank? Why is it just those electric shower units used?

The simple answer is the cost for electricity and gas. Filipinos don't understand why foreigners want hot showers when the purpose is to cool down. Baguio would be one exception because it can get cold. The Baguio exception is the Philippine Military Academy which requires all cadets to shower every morning using cold water only. Part of the military discipline, which is why I never wanted to go to Virginia Military Institute (cold showers only for the plebes) where my brother went.

Why is it that instant gas hot water units are not used there or even electric hot water systems with a tank? Why is it just those electric shower units used? 

My guess is because it is ALWAYS hot here and the water is not really that cold ..... JMHO ..... in the US in Florida I didn't need hot water to shower with in the summer but you better believe I used it in the winter ..... some people just like to use hot water .... some to the point of almost boiling so I guess it (like most things) is just a matter of taste or what you are used to ..... plus if you install a tank outside where the sun can hit it you really don't need a hot water heater .....

Yes but a gas instant only fires up when the tap is turned on but more to the point its much better washing greasy dishes in hot water so its not all about showers. 

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Now that is an idea for a business...  I can manufacture Electric Water Heaters that just slide into your kitchen sink and heats the water as you do the dishes...

Anyone want to volunteer for the trials?

:mocking:

Mike S
Posted
Posted
but more to the point its much better washing greasy dishes in hot water so its not all about showers.

Actually they have dish-washing detergents that are designed to work very well with cold water ... just like laundry soaps .... in fact I switched over to cold water laundry products years ago in Florida .... I couldn't tell any difference between the cold water soaps and the ones made for hot water .... :thumbsup: :cheersty:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
its much better washing greasy dishes in hot water

I wouldn't know but I guess I could ask the maid.   :hystery:

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

The grease is necessary to create a nice shine on the dishes. About 40 years ago, waiters in Europe tucked a small towel in their apron which looked a little greasy. They would polish the table dishes with it after you sat down. In provincial Philippines during the same time period, they used sand and water to remove the particles sticking on the dishes, but no soap. Americans would protest. The locals would point out no one got sick. Unfortunately, the Americans won. Now all our rivers and streams are polluted by soap and detergent introduced by Americans.

How I clamour for a return to the good old days.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)

I think point of use water heaters with an actual tank [1-5 gallons] as we call them here in the US are a good idea. If you were using a 0.7 gpm water saving shower head considering that the water heater would keep the temperature just short of boiling and you will use at least as much cold water as hot and the water the unit will heat in the process of the use a good 15 or 20 minute shower should be possible, more than enough water to do the dishes at sterilizing temperature. Propane would be cheap if you live in a house, put it outside and build a doghouse over it with vent. I'd say that electric wouldn't be bad but I've heard the kw price there, still keeping 5 gallons hot is not the same as keeping 50 gallons hot for instant use. You would get alot of the benefits of an instantaneous unit that only keeps a liter of water constantly hot. I have no idea of what a POU heater would cost there but instantaneous heaters are pricy here in the US, 40,000 php and up and many of them promise no more than 30F temp rise. If you need water hotter than that you can buy and run two units in series or buy a much more expensive larger unit. :thumbsup: The last gas water heater I replaced was 35 years old and I favor them over electric.

Edited by robert k
  • Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

The grease is necessary to create a nice shine on the dishes. About 40 years ago, waiters in Europe tucked a small towel in their apron which looked a little greasy. They would polish the table dishes with it after you sat down. In provincial Philippines during the same time period, they used sand and water to remove the particles sticking on the dishes, but no soap. Americans would protest. The locals would point out no one got sick. Unfortunately, the Americans won. Now all our rivers and streams are polluted by soap and detergent introduced by Americans.

How I clamour for a return to the good old days.

I believe that there are probably some chemical detergents that are bad but when I lived in a rural area I watered my yard with the grey water from laundry and sinks and I had to mow often. Not a huge amount of difference between some detergents and chemical fertilizer if you look at what they are made of.

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

but more to the point its much better washing greasy dishes in hot water so its not all about showers.

Actually they have dish-washing detergents that are designed to work very well with cold water ... just like laundry soaps .... in fact I switched over to cold water laundry products years ago in Florida .... I couldn't tell any difference between the cold water soaps and the ones made for hot water .... :thumbsup: :cheersty:

Dish-washing detergents are all made to work in any temperature water and do so quite well.  No specific formula is required.  Dishwashers on the other hand require hot water unless you are using a "flowing" (such as the creams and not powder or tablet) detergent which will work just as well on a warm cycle.  Cold water doesn't work well at all.  Clothes can be washed in any liquid detergent on cold but the "cold water" formulas are better as they have enzymes and surfactants that are formulated to work specifically with cold water where as regular liquid is formulated more for warmer washes.  Stay away from the regular powders in cold water as they don't dissolve well.   For brain-washing, I prefer the Philippines Expat Forum over all others...  I mean...  oh oh...

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)

I think point of use water heaters with an actual tank [1-5 gallons] as we call them here in the US are a good idea. If you were using a 0.7 gpm water saving shower head considering that the water heater would keep the temperature just short of boiling and you will use at least as much cold water as hot and the water the unit will heat in the process of the use a good 15 or 20 minute shower should be possible, more than enough water to do the dishes at sterilizing temperature. Propane would be cheap if you live in a house, put it outside and build a doghouse over it with vent. I'd say that electric wouldn't be bad but I've heard the kw price there, still keeping 5 gallons hot is not the same as keeping 50 gallons hot for instant use. You would get alot of the benefits of an instantaneous unit that only keeps a liter of water constantly hot. I have no idea of what a POU heater would cost there but instantaneous heaters are pricy here in the US, 40,000 php and up and many of them promise no more than 30F temp rise. If you need water hotter than that you can buy and run two units in series or buy a much more expensive larger unit. :thumbsup: The last gas water heater I replaced was 35 years old and I favor them over electric.

Hot water tanks - both gas and electric - were designed to be used where fuel sources were cheap.  As for an efficient way of heating water?  Not very!  As long as it sits in the tank continually losing heat, it is going to cost more if a person doesn't use that much hot water.  The smallest units are even worse as the insulation value used on these is much less than a larger tank.  Even wrapping in a thermal blanket is not enough to improve their efficiency.

For my days of rentals, I will look at using a hot water tank as per Kano usual.

But later?  Someday, when I build my own house, I will be putting in a solar unit and maybe a small on-demand for those cooler days (depending on location).  Besides, on those days when I find the water too cool?  Being from the Great White Nord, I learned long ago that body heat from some friendly young lady will warm me up best!  Unfortunately solar water heaters are just too darn efficient these days!

:tiphat:

Edited by I am bob
lost a paragraph when I posted - probably deleted it myself
  • Like 1