The Best Call Application So Far

pongpong12
Posted
Posted

I am looking for the latest Call App to replace the expensive one I’m currently using (A.K.A skype) I’ve had enough of them charging me for flag falls, I’m really disappointed with their service.

bootleultras
Posted
Posted

Try viber or tango, i have no problem using them and they are totally free of charge.....good quality calls.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Try viber or tango, i have no problem using them and they are totally free of charge.....good quality calls.

I looked at the websites for both Viber and Tango - both say the free calls are to other members of their sites.  I am guessing this means that you just can't call anybody then?

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I have been searching over and over again for any other system similar to what we can get in Canada called "FreePhoneLine".  It's a free download if you wish to use it as a soft phone on your Windows or Mac machines - you then can call the rest of Canada for free and people can call you from any telephone system they may be using.  Or you can get an ATA router and just run it like a regular POTS except it's using the Internet.  This will cost you for the porting information (but you can also find it online for free if you know where to look) and then the service is free - other than paying your monthly ISP bill.  The nice thing about it?  You can take it overseas with you and have a Canadian telephone number to play with - and no long distance charges back home.  On top of this, they are also tied in with Fongo (formerly known as Dell Voice) so you can pop the app on your smartphone and then call home to Canada for free - as long as you use WiFi to connect with (or your data plan will work too).  The only downfall of this company?  Not every place in Canada is included.  There are still a few rural areas that you cannot call.  There is one other downfall that bothers me - they do not have a softphone version for Ubuntu (Linux) so I will have to use either a Windows machine or get the ATA router going.

Now can anyone tell me of anything like this for the US and Canada that works on Linux?  Free of course or I would go to MagicJack.

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted
I looked at the websites for both Viber and Tango - both say the free calls are to other members of their sites.  I am guessing this means that you just can't call anybody then?

There's no registration with Viber, you just install the free app and you can call or text anyone, anywhere in the world if both parties have Viber installed and an internet connection. Works great and no adware or annoying popups that I have seen. Wonder how they make their money?

Google Voice with a VOIP client like Groove IP is another great free option.

I haven't tried Tango.

• Like 3

bootleultras
Posted
Posted

True Bob,

Both need to have the app installed on their devices, once done they automatically download your phone book and update your contacts on the app accordingly.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

True Bob,

Both need to have the app installed on their devices, once done they automatically download your phone book and update your contacts on the app accordingly.

Ouch!  If I was going to get a telephone app to replace MagicJack, I would want one that would let me call anybody regardless if they use that app or not.

MikeB
Posted
Posted
If I was going to get a telephone app to replace MagicJack, I would want one that would let me call anybody regardless if they use that app or not.

And I would want one that would let me call anybody regardless whether they have bought MJ hardware or not. Fortunately, there are other options.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

If I was going to get a telephone app to replace MagicJack, I would want one that would let me call anybody regardless if they use that app or not.

And I would want one that would let me call anybody regardless whether they have bought MJ hardware or not. Fortunately, there are other options.

Ok, I believe that is what I said.   :mocking:

But what are these options?  I have found one for Canada that is fairly easy to use (a download, can be used to call any number in Canada from the Philippines and it's free) but I have not been able to locate any similar items in other countries without getting into SIP phones - and the ones I am familiar with are not usually user-friendly for the uninitiated.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I use Google Voice but there are others. It's a little tricky to set up once you're out of the country, basically you need a VPN so you have a US IP address and a US phone number so they can call to "verify" you when you register. That's it. It's free now but even if it wasn't I would pay because, so far, it works great. There are others already mentioned.

• Like 1