The Best Call Application So Far

i am bob
Posted
Posted

It seems that there are a million apps that will let you call overseas for free but that isn't what I am looking for...

Does anyone know of an app that will let people call me without having to get special apps on their end?  I want people such as my bank, my accountant, my lawyer or even my telemarketer (who I will keep on the line for hours before saying NOPE) to be able to call me when I am out of country - ie:  in the Philippines!

So far, my results are for either MagicJack or (for Canadians) FreePhoneLine.  There must be something else out there!

:unsure:

Jake
Posted
Posted

Being ex-military, I love redundancy

If you come to the Philippines with that attitude it will help you in the long run. Always have a Plan B, C & D as Plan A never survives past contact...

Key word is flexibility with options. 

Hey Jon1,

Hmmm.......sounds like you're ex-military as well!  One could have the latest 5G network in the Philippines,

but will be subject to repeated or unscheduled power outages.  As far as contingency plans, I rather keep

it very basic: flip phones from 2 service providers, a pair of Motorolas (locally sanctioned) and candles.

When it comes down to flexibility -- I've been known to drink warm San Magoo when all else fails.....he, he.

Respectfully -- Jake (USN retarded) 

• Like 2

jon1
Posted
Posted

Being ex-military, I love redundancy

If you come to the Philippines with that attitude it will help you in the long run. Always have a Plan B, C & D as Plan A never survives past contact...

Hey Jon1,

Hmmm.......sounds like you're ex-military as well!  One could have the latest 5G network in the Philippines,

but will be subject to repeated or unscheduled power outages.  As far as contingency plans, I rather keep

it very basic: flip phones from 2 service providers, a pair of Motorolas (locally sanctioned) and candles.

When it comes down to flexibility -- I've been known to drink warm San Magoo when all else fails.....he, he.

Respectfully -- Jake (USN retarded) 

Jake,

Bingo on having the latest and greatest on an outdated power grid!

Yes am retired USAF (all combat comms). 

I got rechargeable LED Flashlights, and plenty of Whiskey (or Tanduay 15 year). I can't drink San Mig unless cold but can drink plenty of Whiskey without ice ;). 

I am very flexible and always set my expectations in the dirt so I am almost never disappointed. But you know what they say, "just when you think it's idiot proof, they build a better idiot"!! 

hahaha

Jon

• Like 4

calpurnia
Posted
Posted (edited)

I put in the logo of the App I was talking about because when you type in Global Call lots of other applications pop up, just to help to distinguish Global Call App among others

post-1-0-66825100-1372064694_thumb.png

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
embedded pic
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
pongpong12
Posted
Posted

Hi folks, I didn’t know a lot of people would care to answer my query here, I was just expecting a couple of answers maybe.. But nevertheless, thank you everyone for your suggestions. To Calpurnia I found this app you were talking about at googleplay at  first I was confused with all the other apps good thing you posted a link for their logo. I just got registered today I’ll get back to you for my feedback cause I have no idea yet if the service is good, though it sounds awesome by this video they have from youtube

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

:thumbsup:

use of a CALLBACK SERVICE is my main usage, then budget card(pldt)

i am not that computer literate nor do I make more than 5 calls a month to the usa or other parts of the world.

so if i was given a magic jack or apps whatever i would not know how to use it or set it up,

GregZ
Posted
Posted

Another app based option is WeChat. Both have to install, but free with video calls, voice calls, text/chat & vioce messages if the other party not connected.

Then there is the Apple one, ummmm... My secretary will look up the name while I type. It requires iPhone (latest one?), iPad2 or better or iSomething else. Both have to have iDevice which is major hangup to me. They are supposed to open it up for 3d parties to make same software on other platforms.

Secretary? Facetime

GregZ
Posted
Posted

When you get fed up with all these other options requiring brain power to use technology to bypass expense....

I use Sun IDD (International Direct Dial) to the USA for 2 peso per minute.

:thumbsup: :bash: :dance:

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
deevey
Posted
Posted

For making calls to the US I use "Fring"straight from my Iphone - 100% better call quality than Skype, calls cost 1.2c per min and its available on Nokia and Android and can be used for multi video conferencing etc if the other party has the app installed.  

sjp52
Posted
Posted

line is another good one