Driving Through Manila

lyno 47
Posted
Posted

makes my idea of using a tank or apc sound better every time I read about driving in the phils :cheersty:

• Like 5

intrepid
Posted
Posted
Edsa, on the other hand, is chaos most of the way. It is a wide road, 3-5 lanes each way in many places, with additional side access lanes, which apparently contributes to the disease, "Idontneednostinkinglanes-itis"!

Otherwise known as driving with a "rectum cranium insertion"! At least that is what we call it where I work.

danny

• Like 5

lonewolf
Posted
Posted

i like that rectal cranial inversion we us that quote often but you mean they haven t been issued the glass stomachs yet, so thet can see where there going, they should at least have hind site

• Like 4

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

LOL!!!! I drive EVERY SINGLE day at Manila, EDSA is really ok in comparison to Commonwealth Avenue (or killer avenue as it is called since every month at least 4-5 people die on this road) and some other areas I cross DAILY such as Payatas road and not to mention the area I live at, montalban, with their notorious fast and furious jeepneys and all other things on the road.

I learned how to drive worst than them so there is no problem, no accidents.

Whenever I drive in a civilized country (Greece is included now), I have difficulties and I get pissed because I cannot drive as I do here.

ADOPT AND LIVE!!!!

• Like 5

ozepete
Posted
Posted

I have trouble returning to Oz after driving in Cebu. I find myself driving like crazy and need to 'de-tune' and mellow out! :bash:

• Like 5

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

LOL!!!! I drive EVERY SINGLE day at Manila, EDSA is really ok in comparison to Commonwealth Avenue (or killer avenue as it is called since every month at least 4-5 people die on this road) and some other areas I cross DAILY such as Payatas road and not to mention the area I live at, montalban, with their notorious fast and furious jeepneys and all other things on the road.

Whenever I drive in a civilized country (Greece is included now), I have difficulties and I get pissed because I cannot drive as I do here.

ADOPT AND LIVE!!!!

Yes,I know what you are saying.  I was comparing mainly to Olongapo.  I'm sure Edsa is a walk in the park compared to other areas.

National Hwy down here in Laguna can be much worse than Edsa.  Hopefully it will be ok today, Sunday.

• Like 2

gapotwo
Posted
Posted

ADOPT AND LIVE!!!!

Yes,I know what you are saying.  I was comparing mainly to Olongapo.  I'm sure Edsa is a walk in the park compared to other areas.

National Hwy down here in Laguna can be much worse than Edsa.  Hopefully it will be ok today, Sunday.

Thats why i leave the driving to the driver. It really is not that bad in Olongapo And barrio barretto, I feel safe in these roads. So i am almost finish rebuilding a Quad. for my running around town, and to the beach. 

post-1250-0-03226700-1369530409_thumb.jp

• Like 5

jon1
Posted
Posted

OnMyWay,

I hate driving thru Manila so much, that I will hire a driver if ever I have to roll thru there. To best avoid the worst of the traffic, you have to time your trips like it's a tidal flow. Going from NLEX towards SLEX is best before 7am and 2-5pm. Going from SLEX towards NLEX is best 9am-11am and 2-5pm. 

If I hit Manila during those times, I can usually cross Manila in about 1 hour. Although the all time best time to travel thru is after midnite. Zero traffic and you can cross in less than 30 minutes.

I usually aim for those windows if doing a road trip south of Manila.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Actually the trip from Subic to Laguna and back went quite well.  On Saturday, going south on Edsa, for some reason it seemed like all the crazy driver's were out, which triggered my original post.  Then on Monday, northbound, I really didn't see much craziness even though the mid-day Edsa traffic was worse in some sections.  Both south and north, I think our Edsa time was a bit over an hour, and our total trip time 3.5-4 hours including stops.

For a real challenge, Sunday night I followed our Filipino neighbor down national highway from Cabuyao to Los Banos, in pouring rain, at night.  That is another story for later!

• Like 1