Driving Through Manila

Jake
Posted
Posted

LOL!!!! I drive EVERY SINGLE day at Manila, EDSA is really ok in comparison to Commonwealth Avenue (or killer avenue as it is called since every month at least 4-5 people die on this road) and some other areas I cross DAILY such as Payatas road and not to mention the area I live at, montalban, with their notorious fast and furious jeepneys and all other things on the road.

I learned how to drive worst than them so there is no problem, no accidents.

Whenever I drive in a civilized country (Greece is included now), I have difficulties and I get pissed because I cannot drive as I do here.

ADOPT AND LIVE!!!!

Yes,I know what you are saying.  I was comparing mainly to Olongapo.  I'm sure Edsa is a walk in the park compared to other areas.

National Hwy down here in Laguna can be much worse than Edsa.  Hopefully it will be ok today, Sunday.

Thats why i leave the driving to the driver. It really is not that bad in Olongapo And barrio barretto, I feel safe in these roads. So i am almost finish rebuilding a Quad. for my running around town, and to the beach. 

Hey EJ, nice ride Pare!  Did you test out the new suspension with some of your boom-boom girls.....he, he.

By the way, where's your easy rider rifle rack? 

gapotwo
Posted
Posted

LOL!!!! I drive EVERY SINGLE day at Manila, EDSA is really ok in comparison to Commonwealth Avenue (or killer avenue as it is called since every month at least 4-5 people die on this road) and some other areas I cross DAILY such as Payatas road and not to mention the area I live at, montalban, with their notorious fast and furious jeepneys and all other things on the road.

I learned how to drive worst than them so there is no problem, no accidents.

Whenever I drive in a civilized country (Greece is included now), I have difficulties and I get pissed because I cannot drive as I do here.

ADOPT AND LIVE!!!!

Yes,I know what you are saying.  I was comparing mainly to Olongapo.  I'm sure Edsa is a walk in the park compared to other areas.

National Hwy down here in Laguna can be much worse than Edsa.  Hopefully it will be ok today, Sunday.

Thats why i leave the driving to the driver. It really is not that bad in Olongapo And barrio barretto, I feel safe in these roads. So i am almost finish rebuilding a Quad. for my running around town, and to the beach. 

Hey EJ, nice ride Pare!  Did you test out the new suspension with some of your boom-boom girls.....he, he.

By the way, where's your easy rider rifle rack? 

Hey Pare!! no rack... F@$KED UP and bought a GLOCK.  Cant drive here with a loaded Redneck rack.... so i  went polymere.   OPPS.... driving here is not that tough with less then 2 boom boom girls aboard ..back on subject.. :thumbsup:    tanks   ej. 

• Like 1

ForADay
Posted
Posted

I couln't imagine driving a vehicle though any part of Manila.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Driving should be a pleasurable activity. I can't imagine that if driving through Metro Manila.

Hawaiian Airlines is offering discounted tickets to the US Mainland. We booked a two weeks trip to California. Our plan is to drive from San Diego to Eureka using both the interstate system and picturesque country roads. Any suggestions?

We may do a similar two weeks road trip in the Philippines next year, possibly Cebu and environment. Any early suggestions as to route? Planning is part of the fun.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I don't find driving here pleasurable at all. It could be but the liability factor takes it away. If you hit someone, even if you are not at fault in any way, you are usually held responsible. If it's a serious accident with injuries you go to jail pending charges by the victim or victim's family. You stay until you can get bail or pay them off. I drive as seldom as possible, to get from point A to B. 

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

When I was a teen and in my early 20s, I drove a stock car on occasion.  I can't wait to bring back those memories!

:mocking:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
Hawaiian Airlines is offering discounted tickets to the US Mainland. We booked a two weeks trip to California. Our plan is to drive from San Diego to Eureka using both the interstate system and picturesque country roads. Any suggestions?

When are you going?  Make sure you get your hotel reservations well ahead of time.  If you give me a general idea of the route you would like to take, I can offer some suggestions.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I don't find driving here pleasurable at all. It could be but the liability factor takes it away. If you hit someone, even if you are not at fault in any way, you are usually held responsible. If it's a serious accident with injuries you go to jail pending charges by the victim or victim's family. You stay until you can get bail or pay them off. I drive as seldom as possible, to get from point A to B. 

I have always loved driving and the freedom that goes with it.  From the time I arrived last October until I got the Avanza supercar in April, that was probably what I missed the most.

One of the key reasons I decided to live in the Subic Bay Freeport is because of the driving.  Safe and sane, for the most part.  Venturing into other areas does require a completely different attitude.  In the Freeport, I drive like a grandma and when I go outside, I have to be more aggressive but also more defensive.

The expressways are fairly nice and safe in North Luzon too.  Not cheap, but nice.  Here is a picture from Monday afternoon of SCTEX from Angeles to Subic.  Traffic was terrible!   :hystery:

post-1784-0-04375700-1369974140_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

attachicon.gifP1150986.JPG

Are you sure this was taken along SCTEX expressway?  It looks like the CA coastal hwy 1....he, he.

What's the travel time?  It would seem like a nice couple hours leisurely ride to me.  Looks like road

maintenance is doing its job.  I wonder how it's patrolled by the Philippine Highway patrol group?  

Perhaps, they're doing their job as well?  

Driving through Manila however, would take a couple hours just going through 5-10 miles of traffic.  

During the monsoon season (MAY-OCT), I once slept on a Victory Liner bus enroute to EDSA bus

depot in Manila.  All city's major entrance and exits were flooded out.  12 hours later (from Olongapo)

I arrived very tired and drunk.  Thank god, they had San Magoo vendors allowed on board....he, he.

You gotta roll with the punches -- Jake

Edited by Jake
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
What's the travel time?  It would seem like a nice couple hours leisurely ride to me.  Looks like road maintenance is doing its job.  I wonder how it's patrolled by the Philippine Highway patrol group?   Perhaps, they're doing their job as well?  

It is about 50 minutes from Clark to Subic on SCTEX, at my top speed of 100 kph, which is the speed limit!

I have heard that they use radar out there a lot, but I have yet to see one.