Police Clearance For Visa Renewals / Philstar Article

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Bruce... oh Bruce... don't try to apply logic towards this.  Have you ever been to the Philippines?  Logic... right...   I think the words Filipino and logic are antonyms. 

But you are right.  :tiphat:

Bruce
Posted
Posted (edited)

Bruce... oh Bruce... don't try to apply logic towards this.  Have you ever been to the Philippines?  Logic... right...   I think the words Filipino and logic are antonyms. 

But you are right.  :tiphat:

You are quite correct. If, they did away with the 21 day stay and instead charged a $10 per month stay with the airlines collecting the first payment(s) for the stay with a $1 fee for the airlines, ALL those 21 day 'free' stays are now generating $10 and if you plan to stay for 6 months, then you pay the airline at booking time, an additional $60. NO burden on the BI and very easy book keeping.  

It is simply my position that the Philippines would generate MORE money and less need for BI to expand if they were more traveler friendly. The easier they make it, the more money is spent in the Philippines. A fee of $10 per month instead of a free 21 days would not generate any issues. Really. If you can not afford $10, don't travel! Stay 3 days or stay 3 years.... $10 a month.

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 1

Genius
Posted
Posted

I think they should relax the tourist visa on arrival to 3 months as Malaysia does and so at least generate more tourist cash.

So does the present system. Look at it from the government's point of view: why should it grant a 90 day visa-less stay free of charge when it can charge after the first 21 days? It won't change the minds of tourists to stay longer because if you're planning an extended stay here, you'll be staying regardless of extension fees. You're already getting a much better deal than a Filipino who can't travel to the UK, US or EU without a visa.

Why should it? Well seeing that I can fly to a close country and completely avoid the fee and end up on the deal even when keeping my fiance with me, because hotels of similar standard are cheaper abroad, as well as food in say Thailand, Malaysia etc. Sure they can charge me a special fee every time I use a credit card to withdraw cash, charge extra for not being local, have higher prices for accommodation, ban me from buying property but it isn't actually conductive to making me spend more. I already spend less in country than I used to a few years ago because I m fed up with all the nickel and dimming they do. Still, I guess they know better, what with their highly trained cost benefit economic taxation department being the envy of the rest of the world,