Malaysia Vs Philippines

Genius
Posted
Posted

to be honest, I ve begun to think Malaysia looks a better location to relocate to. Just need to convince fiancé it is a good idea.

Bruce
Posted
Posted

to be honest, I ve begun to think Malaysia looks a better location to relocate to. Just need to convince fiancé it is a good idea.

Really???? Read this off of Wikipedia and PAY ATTENTION to the last 2 sentences.

Malaysia is multicultural and multiconfessional. The dominant religion in Malaysia is Islam, whose followers make up 61 per cent of the population. Islam is recognised as the state religion of Malaysia, although the country has a secular constitution. Debate exists about whether Malaysia should be a secular or Islamic state, with politics often becoming entwined with religion. Due to contention with an Islamic opposition, the ruling government has slowly become more Islamic, with Islam beginning to have more influence over day to day life in Malaysia. The government promotes the spread of Islam, which is under the control of individual states.

Where do you think Malaysia will be 'culturally' in 10-15 years? How will this impact YOU and your quality of life? I have no idea, and I am not asking about your financial situation, but if you move to Malaysia and invest in your future there... will you be able to 'easily' sell out and leave if you need to?

Now in 10-15 years, I do not see the same issues in the Philippines. I would rather take a gamble on the Philippines than Malaysia.

This post is not about politics or religion, but rather the health and well being of a non muslim person moving into a muslim controlled country. While things may be tolerable today, look at the Maldives, which is similar in government to Malaysia, but perhaps 15 years into the future. Read the new sharia laws now taking over the Maldives and how the country is trying to ban alcohol, and gambling and hot tubs. They are pushing, slowly to change the focus of the islands from a western tourist destination into a muslim tourist destination with segregated pools and beaches. Money is Money... and while the major hotels are fighting the muslim changes, they will lose, then sell out at a steep discount to muslim owners who will revamp the Maldives into a muslim tourist destination....  

Malaysia is just 1-2 decades behind politically. To further this point... Google the phrase... 'When the Taliban came to town.' To better understand the changes that Malaysia is undergoing.... slowly, but surely.

Again, this is not a anti muslim rant or informational such as Pat Condell on youtube offers. I am only pointing out that ANY non muslim thinking of moving to the Philippines OR another country in Asia, should do some research and compare and contrast and the try to connect the dots to see 'where' your chosen country is headed politically. And of course, how you think you (and your family if planning one) will fit in.

For me... I am sticking with the Philippines. Certainly much room for improvement, but for me and my money, a better choice than some other countries in the area.

• Like 3

Genius
Posted
Posted

I ll go have a read about the Maldives and Islamisation in Malaysia. I must admit I only ever watched movie channels and foreign news channels when I was there, I know it is a muslim country but I ve never really had any hassle in that respect in my many visits apart from alcohol being a bit pricier and I never really noticed much by way of worrying creeping Islamisation in Penang or Kuala Lumpur. Though it may be a valid point. Bears thinking about, but they seem a lot more organised and less out to rip off whitey in general. I think that might be a relic of Britosh Rule.

Bruce
Posted
Posted

I spent much of my childhood growing up on peninsular Malaya and have been back there many times in adulthood. The Malays are a pragmatic people, particularly the ruling class (the Sultans), and they recognise that Malaysia's position in the world today is not entirely down to its indigenous population but much more to immigrants from China, Australia and the UK - and Malaysia is far from being a third world country.

Whilst Islam is the predominant religion, it is very benign, Islamist extremism is not tolerated and other faiths are recognised and certainly not persecuted; there are, in fact, quite a number of Christian Malays though they tend to be Anglican rather than Catholic. Given the country's Constitution and the fact that its laws are based on English Common Law and its justice system follows the English model, I very much doubt that it will change. It is an economic powerhouse in the region and the Malays like that.

The "Malaysia: My Second Home" programme is an attractive retirement option, far more so than the Philippine Retirement Visa, many of its subscribers are Britons, Australians and New Zealanders.

This is not supported in news articles in the past few years. While I have never been there, I believe that there is far too much information currently in the news to believe that you are (currently) correct. The government IS being threatened by extremists and on a wide variety of topics. Like hot tubs! Why hot tubs? Because they promote mixing of men and women. Currently hot tubs are outlawed and so is alcohol in many areas. There was an informal  understanding that the alcohol and hot tub laws were NOT to be used in the tourist areas. However, like all past history of the muslim demanding sharia laws and other changes, they accept a compromise 'this week' and then on Monday morning, another muslim leader starts the same complaints again pushing for further restrictions. 1. Get sharia law in place for all locals, tourists exempted. Then once sharia law is in place, 2. remove the exemptions that tourists had in the past. 

It appears to me that 'the' muslim leader who gets the law permanently changed is considered the 'winner' and he gets to be recorded as such in their history.  

This is why I said above to try and predict where the country is going. Look at the situation of 20 years ago and then today and try to predict where Malaysia is heading. It appears that the government is following Egypt and Iran where there is a government figurehead and then the real ruler as who is the current religious leader in the country.

In my opinion the Philippines is far more stable for a foreigner to live in. Even when the governments change, I do not see any wide spread muslim issues beyond Mindanao. based on modern history, there are a few youtube videos that track the change in laws and government and loss of human rights in countries that have a growing muslim population, viewed in % of population.

This is not a political or religious post. Simply a post on what to think about when making a move to another country. (Finally) that proverbial pendulum has started to (slightly) swing back against the politically correct thinking and the planet is (finally) examining the negative changes to countries when an invasive non native species arrives, unchecked, and allowed to (slowly) take over via population explosion. As I see it, the Philippines is safe for a good while in maintaining their way of life and liberty.  

Markham... I would like you to do something here. If you would take the time to write down 5 things (just 5) that YOU know you can not do in Malaysia  and then contrast to the Philippines. Such as unrestricted alcohol purchase and consumption or the hot tube issues I made above. This may allow the members to think more rationally about their future in making a move. What can I do today in the Philippines that I can not do in Malaysia?

Example...... You can buy and eat a lechon (pork) sandwich in the Philippines. Can you do this in Saudi? What happens if you were to try in Saudi? What happens if you kiss your GF / wife in public? If your wife wants to drive to the school to pick up the kids? All things considered, in what year do you expect Malaysia to be more like Saudi than like the Philippines? The entire world is always moving in one direction or another. Rarely does it say... oops! Made a mistake and then reverse course to allow MORE freedoms instead of less freedoms.  

Finally, look at Iran pre 1979 and under the Shah. Women could dress in western style, meet men in public, go to school / college..... but today? Not allowed. So think long and hard about a non muslim moving to a muslim country. I again say that the Philippines is safer and more stable for us foreigners then Malaysia will be. The information is available via google and searching the muslim changes made in the Maldives.

• Like 4

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
The "Malaysia: My Second Home" programme is an attractive retirement option, far more so than the Philippine Retirement Visa, many of its subscribers are Britons, Australians and New Zealanders.

MM2H is also very popular among Japanese seniors. The Philippines is a poor third among the Japanese. They prefer Malaysia followed by Thailand.

samatm
Posted
Posted

What I don't really like about Malaysia is the  Political Correctness -- religious correctness that now pervades.     If you look at old photos of Malaysia education from the 1970's   you will see  modern western styles of  dress.   Young ladies in 70's dresses even mini skirts and go go boots.   Today if you go back you see only a smattering of women on campus that are not wearing the Hajib ,     In order to make professional advance  men and women must play the part... Once in the privacy of their own homes pretenses of the  "good" Islamic life are disbanded,

It is forbidden to "convert" from Islam (if you are born into Islamic family) .  I know a couple that met in the US  were married and converted to Xtianity.  (or perhaps the other way around)  anyway upon return to Malaysia for high paying jobs.. Their children born in Malaysia  had to be listed as muslim as the state didn't recognize their conversion.

BUT outside of  that...  If my wife was Malay.  I would be in Malaysia in heartbeat.   It is Thriving , does have  a multicultural society, is very peaceful  and there are many benefits that Islam does bring.  (see Islamic finance amongst others)  .   Malaysia on many many levels has leapfrogged the Philippines in governance and livability.   

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted

What I don't really like about Malaysia is the  Political Correctness -- religious correctness that now pervades.     If you look at old photos of Malaysia education from the 1970's   you will see  modern western styles of  dress.   Young ladies in 70's dresses even mini skirts and go go boots.   Today if you go back you see only a smattering of women on campus that are not wearing the Hajib ,     In order to make professional advance  men and women must play the part... Once in the privacy of their own homes pretenses of the  "good" Islamic life are disbanded,

It is forbidden to "convert" from Islam (if you are born into Islamic family) .  I know a couple that met in the US  were married and converted to Xtianity.  (or perhaps the other way around)  anyway upon return to Malaysia for high paying jobs.. Their children born in Malaysia  had to be listed as muslim as the state didn't recognize their conversion.

BUT outside of  that...  If my wife was Malay.  I would be in Malaysia in heartbeat.   It is Thriving , does have  a multicultural society, is very peaceful  and there are many benefits that Islam does bring.  (see Islamic finance amongst others)  .   Malaysia on many many levels has leapfrogged the Philippines in governance and livability.   

Yes... BUT... watch the news TODAY on Turkey. They are following Iran and Egypt in becoming more restrictive. The news media this time is not trying to hide it. muslims killing muslims to either gain more freedom (failed in Iran and Egypt) OR to reduce personal freedoms. My money is that the more liberal demonstrators will lose. Just like in Egypt and that stupid oxymoronic term... Arab Spring!

While it may be 10-20 years, Malaysia will follow.. as is Belgium and Germany and France / UK.... and later, the US. Simple breeding by the numbers will take over the vote in due time. So, my point has been to look LONG TERM and make decision based on those observations. You say you can see and feel a change since the 70's.... OK, extrapolate that out for your kids and grand kids...... What will their life be life and will they accept it or will they be outcasts and in danger like Christians in Egypt now?

I do not see any of this in the Philippines. Sure the Philippines has 'issues' but I would rather deal with those issues than deal with the slow death of personal freedoms in Malaysia (or other similar countries). 

Most non Asian expats talk about the Philippines or Viet Nam or Thailand as possible retirement areas. Not Egypt or Turkey .... or.... Malaysia.

Genius
Posted
Posted

Bruce, you mention the 'issues' of the philippines but do not seem too worried about them, I think perhaps I feel the same about the Muslimness of Malaysia. But I do agree, one should not take it lightly to invest ones capital in a country, without knowing where it is going to be in the future. That is why I decided to keep my major investments in the UK and have no intention to ever sell the lot and invest it PI, Malaysia or any other country. The UK is about as stable a country as you can get politically. So I d have to strongly disagree that the UK is proceeding towards being a Muslim nation and I d severely doubt Germany, France or Belgium is any different in that regard. If that is what you sincerely believe then, I d have to say your comments about Malaysia have less force with me, than originally.

Americano
Posted
Posted

I'm not moving to any country where I can't drink beer or kiss my wife anytime I want to so moving a to a Muslim country is out of the question for me. Someone telling you when and where you can kiss your wife is ridiculous. How do people fall for that crap?

• Like 2