Another Ferry Sinks!

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Off foxnews.com

34 rescued, 1 reported dead after Philippine ferry sinks with 60 aboard

Published June 13, 2013

MANILA, Philippines –  An inter-island ferry with about 60 people on board sank in the central Philippines early Friday, and coast guard said that 34 people have been rescued so far. One death has been reported.

The ferry left Pio Duran port in Albay province and sank three hours later at about 5 a.m. near Burias Island, about 12 miles away across a strait.

A woman died, said coast guard spokesman Cmdr. Arman Balilo. The ferry's manifesto listed 35 passengers and 22 crew.

"We could no longer see the ferry. It appears to have sunk," coast guard Seaman 1st Class John Michael Mandane told radio station DZBB.

The weather in the area was calm and apparently did not cause the sinking, according to the ferry's captain, who was among those rescued.

Coast guard and navy vessels and helicopters were taking part in the search and rescue and were aided by local fishermen. At least three survivors drifted to the shore and were picked up by fishermen, Balilo said.

Balilo said the ferry had two buses and one truck aboard.

Sea accidents are common in the Philippine archipelago because of frequent storms, badly maintained boats and weak enforcement of safety regulations.

In December 1987, the ferry Dona Paz sank after colliding with a fuel tanker in the Philippines, killing more than 4,341 people in the world's worst peacetime maritime disaster.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/06/13/philippine-ferry-sinks-with-60-aboard/?test=latestnews#ixzz2W9XOhKII

Americano
Posted
Posted

Yesterday I was telling my niece in the USA how many ships sink in the Philippines and that everyone should learn how to swim and know where their life jacket is located and how to wear it. Some drowning deaths could be prevented if everyone knew how to swim and didn't panic. Often panic on a ship is caused by non-swimmers who are afraid of the water.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Sad part is even the captain of the ship had no idea how many passengers he was carrying ..... I suspect that all the fee's are not turned into the proper authorities as I've seen some actually pay  after boarding the ship ..... but I can attest that they check vehicles very closely ..... except what you have inside .... in in 5 trips we've made on roro's not once did they look inside the car .... :unsure:

:cheersty:

jon1
Posted
Posted

Yesterday I was telling my niece in the USA how many ships sink in the Philippines and that everyone should learn how to swim and know where their life jacket is located and how to wear it. Some drowning deaths could be prevented if everyone knew how to swim and didn't panic. Often panic on a ship is caused by non-swimmers who are afraid of the water.

The problem is that most life jackets found on these ferries are already past their lifespan and ABSORB rather than repel water. So you end up with a water soaked anchor around your neck. A lot of people unnecessarily drowned from the ferry that was bombed in Manila bay in 2004 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_SuperFerry_14_bombing.

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Well. Not odd if panic even if can swim, because of it's a big risk the ferry are short of (functioning) life jackets, and not many swimmers can manage to swim all the way, when it's kilometers to the shore  :)

(I can swim, but I doubt I would manage to swim any far, so I put on a life jacket when I go sailing/canoeing at inland lakes/calm rivers too.)

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

Have you read the story about the ferry Dona Paz.  In December 1987 it had an accident and about 4,375 people died. That's a lot of people to die at one time. Read about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Do%C3%B1a_Paz

sjp52
Posted
Posted

Once i took the ferry from CDO to Camiguin island and i watched as they crammed the lower boat section with people until it was full. Then they closed the latch and locked it. I said to the worker, What will they do if something happens ( accident ). He said I will be here to let them out. I said and if something happens to you, What then. He just gave me that confused look I get a lot from some people here. I just shook my head and walked away. I will never get use to the way they do some things here

• Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted

Most Filipinos don't have a sense of danger. I see them every day riding motorcycles with their baby in front, sitting on tail gates not realizing what will happen if the tail gate opens, riding on the roof of trucks and buses not realizing how easy they can fall off in even a small accident.

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Most Filipinos don't have a sense of danger. I see them every day riding motorcycles with their baby in front, sitting on tail gates not realizing what will happen if the tail gate opens, riding on the roof of trucks and buses not realizing how easy they can fall off in even a small accident.

Yes, it is well known. Sometimes called the Darwin Effect, or in general population control. The general view is that it is not much to worry about as the Philippines is well stocked with 'spares'. :mocking:

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I hate the American liability system with lawsuit lawyers making huge fees when damages are paid. The lawyers receive something like 40% of the proceeds plus expenses. Yet there are merits to the system. The Philippines won't improve. Disasters like sinking ferry boats or flying a poorly maintained aircraft will continue. Owners don't have to worry. The liability is small by comparison because the victims or their families can collect such a limited amount for damages.

• Like 2