Another Ferry Sinks!

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I hate the American liability system with lawsuit lawyers making huge fees when damages are paid. The lawyers receive something like 40% of the proceeds plus expenses. Yet there are merits to the system. The Philippines won't improve. Disasters like sinking ferry boats or flying a poorly maintained aircraft will continue. Owners don't have to worry. The liability is small by comparison because the victims or their families can collect such a limited amount for damages.

Yes. In USA damages payments often are much to high, while in Phili and Sweden they are so low mostly so it's lucky if it cover the extra costs    :th_unfair:   But even more crazy is American courts forcing obviously innocent long time prisoned to say "I did the murder, but I'm innocent"  to be let out of prison, so they can't sue the USA government for compensation!!!   :bash:    (As e g the 3 in the famous case, which I don't remember the name of now. They were innocent prisoned 18 years with a death penalty, but managed to delay it...)

The Philippine airlines aren't even allowed to fly to Europe, because they don't follow the security regulations...  (Changing?)

piglett
Posted
Posted

I hate the American liability system with lawsuit lawyers making huge fees when damages are paid. The lawyers receive something like 40% of the proceeds plus expenses. Yet there are merits to the system. The Philippines won't improve. Disasters like sinking ferry boats or flying a poorly maintained aircraft will continue. Owners don't have to worry. The liability is small by comparison because the victims or their families can collect such a limited amount for damages.

Yes. In USA damages payments often are much to high, while in Phili and Sweden they are so low mostly so it's lucky if it cover the extra costs    :th_unfair:   But even more crazy is American courts forcing obviously innocent long time prisoned to say "I did the murder, but I'm innocent"  to be let out of prison, so they can't sue the USA government for compensation!!!   :bash:    (As e g the 3 in the famous case, which I don't remember the name of now. They were innocent prisoned 18 years with a death penalty, but managed to delay it...)

The Philippine airlines aren't even allowed to fly to Europe, because they don't follow the security regulations...  (Changing?)

i think your talking about the 3 teenagers who were put in jail for 18 years because they liked to wear black t-shirts & listen to heavymetal. some little kid or i could have been a couple little kids were killed & they framed the 3 teenagers but they had no real proof. :no: 

Thomas
Posted
Posted
i think your talking about the 3 teenagers who were put in jail for 18 years because they liked to wear black t-shirts & listen to heavymetal. some little kid or i could have been a couple little kids were killed & they framed the 3 teenagers but they had no real proof.
Yes. According to TV program, the juridical system even had proof/signs it were two OTHER people (=stepfather to one of the killed, plus he who gave the stepfather "alabi") but they KEPT the not guilty ones in jail anyway!!! Finaly - by much pressure from  opinion -  they forced the NOT guilty ones to say they were guilty to let them out!!!

MikeB
Posted
Posted

The case you're referring to is the West Memphis 3; there are lots of theories and information if you google it, there is also a trilogy of films made by HBO, Paradise Lost, that document the case. We are way off topic, however. 

Thomas
Posted
Posted

The case you're referring to is the West Memphis 3; there are lots of theories and information if you google it, there is also a trilogy of films made by HBO, Paradise Lost, that document the case. We are way off topic, however.

Yes. I just compared justice systems.  I know some terrible examples from Sweden too  :)    

(E g the POLICE and PROCECUTOR let a hard medecin druged physical very ill man admit to several murders he HADN'T done, by GUIDING him what to say, until it suit what REALY happened!!! So they FOOLED the justice system, I guess to get the cases "solved", But in his case he had done some OTHER bad things, so he wasn't fully innocent, so he would be locked in at least most of the time so far anyway in mental hospital. Now the court system have FREED him from most of the cases, they check some of the cases at the time.)

Americano
Posted
Posted

Two female passengers drowned and at least 7 still missing.

Albay Governor received information that a rope lashing a bus to the side of the ferry came loose allowing the bus to slide across the ferry causing the ferry to tilt. This story should be easy to verify since I'm sure some passengers were in the buses at the time the ferry started to sink.

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/428679/dotc-orders-investigation-of-ferry-sinking-off-masbate

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/426313/2-dead-4-missing-as-ro-ro-ferry-sinks