Acr-I Card - Again!! Ugh!

boring
Posted
Posted

Ok guys, I have a question.

I have now successfully obtained an ACR-I card by getting some visa extensions for the 59 day requirement. I stay in the Philippines for 2 weeks every month travelling back and forth from Australia. 

So, armed with my fantastic new ACR-I card I went along to Smart to get myself an internet connection. So far I have been doing these things under my girlfriend's name.

Today was my first day of independence....or so I thought.

They said I can't get the internet because my ACR-I card is a 'Tourist' card not a permanent resident card.

For ###ck's sake I just can't seem to get a win here.

I specifically raised this issue with the visa agent whom I used to get the card and they said I can use the card for bank account and internet purposes etc.

My questions are have I just wasted my money on this card? Am I going to face this issue every time I try to use it? Does anyone here have any experiences like this?

Mark 

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Everyone has different experiences with it...  some get bank accounts without an ACR, others, like me, have to get an ACR and a joint account with my girlfriend.  We got internet at the house with the ACR, they said a passport would have been enough.  But we had to use a neighbors name for satellite tv.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Its my experience that the tourist ACR card is absolutely f'ing useless for absolutely everything except making money for the BI

• Like 3

boring
Posted
Posted

Thanks guys. It's a freaking lotto here to get anything done.

I've been here monthly for the last 18 months and something I can never get used to is dealing with morons on a daily basis.

My situation is slightly different to the typical foreigner with my monthly trips in and out and when something is a little bit outside the box it's just too hard for the typical desk jockey to deal with.

Yep, I'm frustrated  :1 (103):

I'll give the visa agent both barrels tomorrow  :1 (72): 

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

The ACR-T card (notice I didn't call it the ACR-I card this time finally?) has recorded all the information regarding your passport information, taxes and fees paid (regarding BI) as well other basic yet pertinent information.  Yes, you can get a bank account with an ACR-I card.  And some banks will accept your ACR-T card depending on the manager and how sweet you can talk to them.  

Try explaining that, even though you are a foreigner and are in and out of the country every 2 weeks or so, you do actually now live here and intend to remain here.  You are just having issues getting Immigration requirements satisfied to change your status.  Eventually one will let you have an account.  As for the cable company?  They just love to stick it to anybody they can for what ever reason they can think of so don't feel bad - you are now a member of the club!

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Getting back at the agent due to your frustration is not going to help I'm sure you know that. It must be tiring flying back and forth to Philippines. How many hours from Australia?

Markham
Posted
Posted
They said I can't get the internet because my ACR-I card is a 'Tourist' card not a permanent resident card.

Yup! Smart and the other Internet/Cable/Satellite providers typically have a minimum 12 month contract period and they won't accept a new subscriber whose ACR-I card expires before the contract fulfilment date.

• Like 1

Markham
Posted
Posted
The ACR-T card (notice I didn't call it the ACR-I card this time finally?) has recorded all the information regarding your passport information, taxes and fees paid (regarding BI) as well other basic yet pertinent information.

Umm, no it doesn't. Only the permanent resident version has a chip which includes that information.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

The ACR-T card (notice I didn't call it the ACR-I card this time finally?) has recorded all the information regarding your passport information, taxes and fees paid (regarding BI) as well other basic yet pertinent information.

Umm, no it doesn't. Only the permanent resident version has a chip which includes that information.

Newer issues of the tourist version have the chip now too.  Actually it's the same base card as the I card - just printed on top a little different depending on when it was done.  All your basic information is suppose to be installed allowing for access to things such as your Passport information, fees paid or outstanding, etc.  

• Like 1

boring
Posted
Posted

Getting back at the agent due to your frustration is not going to help I'm sure you know that. It must be tiring flying back and forth to Philippines. How many hours from Australia?

From my house in Melbourne to my place in Eastwood is typically a 15 hour journey. The flight itself is about 8 hours. And yep, it's very tiring but it's just part of the business we are building back in Australia. Sometimes I turn the trip around in one week back in Melbourne which can be tough.

The reason for having a go at the agent is because I actually specifically asked this question prior to dropping a bunch of pesos on them sorting the process out for me. They told me the card I was getting would be fine for the 2 main purposes I need it - internet and banking.

I have a business relationship with the owner of the company and their lawyers are setting me up with a domestic Philippine corporation in the next few months too, so I will be stepping on some toes over this given the money I've spent with them. It's more about incompetent advice rather than my frustration alone.

Smart are sending my app to head office today to see if they can get it approved but I'm not holding my breath :)

• Like 2