Acr-I Card - Again!! Ugh!

boring
Posted
Posted

The ACR-T card (notice I didn't call it the ACR-I card this time finally?) has recorded all the information regarding your passport information, taxes and fees paid (regarding BI) as well other basic yet pertinent information.  Yes, you can get a bank account with an ACR-I card.  And some banks will accept your ACR-T card depending on the manager and how sweet you can talk to them.  

Try explaining that, even though you are a foreigner and are in and out of the country every 2 weeks or so, you do actually now live here and intend to remain here.  You are just having issues getting Immigration requirements satisfied to change your status.  Eventually one will let you have an account.  As for the cable company?  They just love to stick it to anybody they can for what ever reason they can think of so don't feel bad - you are now a member of the club!

Thanks for the encouragement mate :)

I managed to get a bank account already but my real estate agent had to be a co-signer. That was before I had the card. Really nice gesture of her to help me like that. 

I feel like every move I make here I end up hitting a brick wall. After 18 months it has simply worn thin and I've got no more patience for clowns who simply can't think.

The next interesting battle will be when I get my company registered here...haha....that should be a great source of stories to tell...although I've got lawyers that will be handling it so hopefully they can shoulder most of the pending headaches through the registration process :)

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Everyone's experience is different. I was able to open a bank account (BPI) on just my tourist visa after I got the first 38 day visa extension, only 4 days after I arrived.

After moving to Baguio several months ago I was able to signup for DSL (Bayan Telecom) and cable TV (Sky Cable) on my tourist visa, only thing I needed was a copy of the lease for my apartment and my ACR-I card or passport. Some service providers will ask that a foreigner pay for a year in advance, as I recall, I think PLDT was this way, but I pay month to month like everyone else for my DSL and cable TV.

• Like 2

boring
Posted
Posted

Everyone's experience is different. I was able to open a bank account (BPI) on just my tourist visa after I got the first 38 day visa extension, only 4 days after I arrived.

After moving to Baguio several months ago I was able to signup for DSL (Bayan Telecom) and cable TV (Sky Cable) on my tourist visa, only thing I needed was a copy of the lease for my apartment and my ACR-I card or passport. Some service providers will ask that a foreigner pay for a year in advance, as I recall, I think PLDT was this way, but I pay month to month like everyone else for my DSL and cable TV.

It really is a lottery isn't it :)

I got grumpy about it last night, but once I calmed down I just said to my gf let's ask 5 different branches of Smart (I like their pocket wifi product) I'm sure someone will put it through. 

Not much different to dealing with an Aussie government department really. Talk to 3 people get 3 different answers.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

It really is a lottery isn't it :)

I got grumpy about it last night, but once I calmed down I just said to my gf let's ask 5 different branches of Smart (I like their pocket wifi product) I'm sure someone will put it through. 

Not much different to dealing with an Aussie government department really. Talk to 3 people get 3 different answers.

Thats the ticket! I was able to get a smart pre paid unlimited data plan for my smart phone after only being in the Philippines for a week after getting my first tourist visa extension.

• Like 2

jon1
Posted
Posted

I had an internet account without a ACR TCard in Eastwood. Did you try to go the admin office of your condo? Typically they will have an internet representative there. They will know that you have a leased condo and never gave me any pushback on the account. 

I would not want a joint account with any Filipino (other than your spouse). Too much risk of trouble. I had an account with the BPI Family bank (across from the McDonalds). I gave her a copy of my passport and showed her my lease. The only downside to BPI Family bank is that they are not everywhere (Unlike the BPI). So you will have limited access to your funds if travelling throughout the country. There is also a Citibank right as you come into Eastwood at the main entrance.

• Like 1

boring
Posted
Posted

I had an internet account without a ACR TCard in Eastwood. Did you try to go the admin office of your condo? Typically they will have an internet representative there. They will know that you have a leased condo and never gave me any pushback on the account. 

I would not want a joint account with any Filipino (other than your spouse). Too much risk of trouble. I had an account with the BPI Family bank (across from the McDonalds). I gave her a copy of my passport and showed her my lease. The only downside to BPI Family bank is that they are not everywhere (Unlike the BPI). So you will have limited access to your funds if travelling throughout the country. There is also a Citibank right as you come into Eastwood at the main entrance.

The internet is a pocket wifi to carry around. That's the one I had issues with last night. I already have the internet in my condo/office and that is in my gf's name. I didn't try the admin in my condo though, and next time I need to get it hooked up I will definitely try that. 

The account I have at BDO is ok...while I have a local as a co-signer she really has been a completely trustworthy and helpful person for me. The other thing is money simply flows through that account from Australia via BDO and then pay salaries and expenses. We aren't talking large amounts either. There is never more than a couple of hundred dollars in it. As soon as the money comes in I distribute the payments out of it.

Thanks for the tips appreciate it :)

• Like 1