Jumping Off The Cliff-Making The Move, Haha

jeff16406
Posted
Posted

Well, here we go. Retirement papers going in for August 9th 2013. One way ticket to Manila purchased for August 25th. Condo rental deposit paid for 90 day stay at One Adriatico Place. Visa obtained for 59 days. Just turned 50 on June 16th. Whew!!! Hope I know what I'm doing, haha. Anyways this is something I have been researching and planning for the last 5 yrs. Based on climate, cost of living and easiest cultural and communication change. I have only visited one time before last October for 21 days, staying in Baguio City, Manila and Cebu. I completely understand that living there and a vacation are two different things. I hope to talk to and meet more of you already living there soon. I have no idea for sure where I want to actually make a permanent stay at yet after the 90 days in Manila. I am sure I will really miss my kids but they are older now, 27, 26 and 23. I have met and talked with a lot of Filipina's but want to come and stay as a single person for awhile and really get to know someone before I make a commitment. So anyways I guess I just wanted to say hello to everyone and hope for some reassuring words of wisdom and advice. Hope to see and talk to some of you soon and look forward to making new friends. 

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hello Jeff,

Jumping off the cliff?  I like that!  We fully understand your anxieties and all the stress moving 

and living in PI.  Sounds like you have made some solid plans and more importantly, have made

some contingencies in case the chit hits the fan.

We look forward in hearing from you again.  You will soon realize we are a bunch of crazy expats

having fun talking about our mistakes and all the love stories -- they are truly inspirational.

Welcome aboard sir -- respectfully, Jake

• Like 5

Mike S
Posted
Posted

You can do it ..... that's what I did and I'm still here after 6 years ..... only difference was I was 62yo at the time .... just have to make a commitment to yourself that you will survive ..... but then I did have someone to help me from day one .... another one of those stories that people say can never happen .... hummmmm ... but it did .... :thumbsup:

:cheersty:

Please keep us informed as to how it goes :tiphat:

• Like 5

lyno 47
Posted
Posted

Jeff as Mike posted you can do it, you have the right attitude just enjoy yourself look around ask questions there is a wealth of info on this forum posted by great members cheers

• Like 4

jon1
Posted
Posted

welcome to the community..

Don't forget to notify your financial institutions that you wil be accessing your accounts and using your ATM/Credit Cards in the Philippines. Also, make sure you bring a check book, some cash for opening an account once you decide on where you will end up and some type of VOIP phone. If you have a unlocked GSM capable Cell phone, I would bring that too.

• Like 5

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the community Jeff. As has already been said, there are many members here you can turn to for advice. Some are still living in their "Home" country, but have a great deal of knowledge to offer. Others are living, and some even working here in the Philippines, and I am sure they will glad to meet up if you are in their area while traveling around the Phils looking for a permanent residence.

I for one would be happy to meet up with you should you decide that you wish to visit Angeles or Subic. There is much to see and do here, that has nothing to do with the "Night Life Bars", including some of the best golf courses in the Philippines, flying, whether ultra light, micro light or other single engine flying, they even have rooms with swimming pool if you want to stay over night.

It sounds like you have done your homework, but believe me there will be things once you are here that you will say, sh*t wish I had thought of that, but I see you are already getting some great advice, like letting your bank know you will be using your cards, bringing a cell phone etc. There will be other things, but you know that if you are online all you have to do is ask and our members will respond.

Papa Carl

• Like 5

brock
Posted
Posted

Hi Jeff Welcome to the forum,,,,,Dont forget you will need an onward ticket before you come.

• Like 3