You Tube Fail

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

This morning I downloaded something called YouTubeDownloader.  It told me to go to Microsoft and download something about Net 4.5 which I did.  I thought I would then be able to download youtube vids.

Problem is I can no longer get on the Youtube site whatsoever.  Going direct, linking through a google search, trying to watch embedded videos on this site.  All give me the following response:

The server at youtube.com can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed.

So I did a virus check and got rid of a trojan and 3 other minor threats.  I deleted the YouTubeDownloader.  Cleaned the crap and rebooted.  Still cannot get on youtube.com  Hmmm maybe its that Microsoft net crap.  I'll delete that and try again.  Any other ideas?

lyno 47
Posted
Posted

Hi Dave on 30/6/13 Microsoft did an auto update on my p/c after that download I could not get onto utube as well plus a few other sites,also it blocked friends on my emails I have no idea why that's why I asked if anyone on the forum had been blocked.I tried reboot did virus scans to no avail then did a restore system to an earlier time and that worked.Not sure if this might help but it worked for me.cheers mate

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

This morning I downloaded something called YouTubeDownloader.  It told me to go to Microsoft and download something about Net 4.5 which I did.  I thought I would then be able to download youtube vids.

Problem is I can no longer get on the Youtube site whatsoever.  Going direct, linking through a google search, trying to watch embedded videos on this site.  All give me the following response:

So I did a virus check and got rid of a trojan and 3 other minor threats.  I deleted the YouTubeDownloader.  Cleaned the crap and rebooted.  Still cannot get on youtube.com  Hmmm maybe its that Microsoft net crap.  I'll delete that and try again.  Any other ideas?

What you might need to do is clear the DNS cache. You may need to unplug your internet connection for a short time which will do this or use the "repair" by right clicking on the little computer icon on the bottom menu bar.

What browser are you using? Also Markham created a youtube downloader, i assume its still available. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
What browser are you using? Also Markham created a youtube downloader

I was using Markams from last year but it quit working.  I tried to get on youtube with Chrome and with Firefox.  Will try your suggestions after a beer.  Will report later

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

What browser are you using? Also Markham created a youtube downloader

I was using Markams from last year but it quit working.  I tried to get on youtube with Chrome and with Firefox.  Will try your suggestions after a beer.  Will report later

Also if you think the trojans came when you downloaded the youtube downloader perhaps try as Lyno said and do a system restore to an earlier time, the trojan may have changed settings.

After you have a beer of course. 

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I had to do a roll back of the last Windows update.  I could not get online at all. 

For YouTube I use a firefox addon called "easy youtube video downloader".  It does add a lot of ads but with the already installed ad-blocker, no worries.  You can download videos or just strip the MP3 out for music.

And I use the Firefox add-on "youtube caption downloader" for my foreign movies that are captioned.  I get lots of full movies, American and Korean mostly.

KanoJoe
Posted
Posted

There is a bug in the youtuebdownloader configuration file that has to fixed manually. I had the same problem a while back.  Your problem is not the .NET 4.5 framework. It's a core Windows component to run versions of programs built with Microsoft Visual Studio that rely on that version of the framework. 

Here is a link to the fix.

http://howto.wired.com/wiki/How_to_Fix_YouTube_Download_Failed_Problem

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'll try that KanoJoe.

I already tried everything listed in this thread and even did a system restore to yesterday and restarted and still cannot access the youtube site so will try the link you sent.

Edit:  That did not work either.  Said file corrupted but it probably had something to do with that trojan Agent4.ASFH that my AVG quarantined.  Anyway, everything works except youtube (so far) so I may have to live without it.

Second edit:  Well there is one more site that does not work, tvtorrents dot com but I have not tried it for months and only just tried to go there as youtube is not working.  Might be a coincidence.  Anyone know if tvtorrents is down?

Edited by Dave Hounddriver

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Second edit:  Well there is one more site that does not work, tvtorrents dot com but I have not tried it for months and only just tried to go there as youtube is not working.  Might be a coincidence.  Anyone know if tvtorrents is down?

I got to the site no problem... just can't sign in without an invite.  But the site works.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

This is what you need to sort out first. DNS

Have you tried this? https://help.ea.com/article/how-to-flush-dns-cache-for-windows