You Tube Fail

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I tried and failed.  My computer does not seem to have any control over the DNS.  I connect through a wireless local area network and I get what they send.  but no one else in the network has trouble with DNS and mine only happened today as the opening post said.  The DNS error is a standard error I get here all the time and I doubt it has anything to do with DNS.

Anyway, same problem, no solution.

My AVG deleted a scc.dll file at the same time it quarantined the trojan but I have no idea what the scc.dll does or what program it came from.  I'm about to give this laptop a real 'boot'

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Son of a B . . ..  I ignored the problem for a while then went back to try again and it worked.  Maybe it was not my computer all along.  Its possible the local network disables the link so that they don't have so many of us drawing large bandwidth . . perhaps.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

OK.  I did that, Mark.  I sent you a pm at that site to tell you about an error message but the program is basicly working.  Next question is, can you recommend a downloader for similar sites ( like this one http://tv-series.me/the-walking-dead-s3e4-killer-within/ ) for the same reason ( as in being able to download it and then watch it with no lag)

Be careful with that site I posted.  It may be the one where I picked up the trojan but the tv show works great.  Problem is it plays, lags, plays, lags and takes 3 hours to watch a 40 minute show.  I use a built in downloader on chrome but when it finished downloading the tv show I was not able to watch it due to some media error.

Anyway, this is all a bit of a pain but I feel like I am getting somewhere.  As I write this I am downloading Walking Dead, season 3 episode 9 using Mark's Youtube downloader.  If it works, life is good.

EDIT:  For your downloader, Mark.  Is there some provision for power/ISP failures?  I mean it is common here for the power to go out and that means my ISP goes out.  Will the downloader pick up where it left off when the power and/or Isp comes back?

Edited by Dave Hounddriver

Markham
Posted
Posted

Somehow you've managed to corrupt the program's settings file. Simply delete it and restart the Downloader and it should recreate it for you. Incidentally I will be releasing a new version at some stage quite soon; that uses the WebKit browser (eg Chrome) and automatically prevents YouTube/Google from displaying all those adverts, thereby reducing page load times quite considerably.

I won't visit that iffy page, if you don't mind, but I can recommend you try VideoLan which can download streaming video. VideoLan is available for Linux and Windows and is free.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
For your downloader, Mark.  Is there some provision for power/ISP failures?

Well I found out by repeated failures that there is no provision for the ISP dropping out.  Mine sometimes drops out dozens of times a day for a few seconds to an hour or more.  Sure wish the download would pick up from where it left off when the Internet comes back.  Any way to add that feature?

If not it is still better than what I had before . .  which was zero  :cheers:

Markham
Posted
Posted

For your downloader, Mark.  Is there some provision for power/ISP failures?

Well I found out by repeated failures that there is no provision for the ISP dropping out.  Mine sometimes drops out dozens of times a day for a few seconds to an hour or more.  Sure wish the download would pick up from where it left off when the Internet comes back.  Any way to add that feature?

If not it is still better than what I had before . .  which was zero  :cheers:

Are you using a Smart/Sun/Globe USB stick? These potentially change your IP Address whenever they feel like it. That behaviour is fine as long as the downloader is receiving data but if your connection drops and then when it's up again your IP Address has changed, the downloader can not resume the download. Your line drops must be pretty severe because the downloader does allow for up to 20 seconds for a response (or more data) before calling it quits.

There is an option in the version I'm working on which, if you enable it, downloads videos in a slightly different way, by using multiple connections with each connection downloading a different chunk. That will use more bandwidth but may alleviate if not solve your problem. I'll try and get it finished and released shortly.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Thanks Mark.

I am giving UTorrent a try as it corrects for ISP failure in that it picks up where left off when restarting.  I forget why I stopped using it before, probably because it is frustrating with slow connections . .  but then, everything is frustrating with slow connections

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I am not going to say a word about "another operating system"... I just could not (Ubuntu) be that mean... Could l?

;)

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Hey Dave sorry to jump in here so late but I'm using DownloadHelper 4.9.13 extension on FireFox as a down loader for just about everything and I have had no problem with it .... just down loaded a video on YouTube yesterday and it still works fantastic .... :thumbsup:

:cheersty:

• Like 1