Ibilik Booking Engine

Genius
Posted
Posted

Hello,

I have just used the ibilik site to make a booking next month for a short term condo in makati.

Rate given seemed great.

Now, that I paid, I m just wondering has anyone else used ibilik and how did the process go?

(Wondering if I will turn up next month, to find the cell number I ve been given is dead and no one around to let me into my bargain apartment).

Good or bad experiences welcome.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

I use them as my booking agent Click here but honestly, I have never even had an inquiry through them so I am not impressed.

Let us know how it goes and if you don't mind, tell me what made you choose that particular place.  I expect I am not getting bookings because I am in an out-of-the-way rural area but maybe its my ad.

EDIT:  some of the comments I found when checking out the site were about owners charging small amounts of rent and then gouging like crazy on utilities.  So if your unit has an extra charge for electricity then that is likely why it seems cheap.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver

Genius
Posted
Posted

When you placed the advert, what screening process did ibilik out you through?

I will let you know how it all goes.

My choice was primarily on location then secondly on price and lastly on facilities. I was only selecting from a pool of apartments in Makati and was not even interested to stray outside to ermita or ortigas etc.

A reason I picked the unit was due to it actually having some reviews, (15), not all positive and it said electric and utilities were inclusive and the deposit requested in cash was reasonable, 2000 rather than the 10000 on others for similar properties.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thats one of the problems, I think.  There is no screening process.  As long as you have email and a phone number and send a nice pic you get approved.  So it will be hit and miss whether you get a good place or not.  BUT they do have a review system where only those who have booked and stayed can post a review so if the place had good reviews you will be fine.

EDIT:  If it turns out to be a good place and better than a hotel then post the link so I will know where to stay in that area.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver

Genius
Posted
Posted

Update: The vendor deleted the advert shortly I made 11200 peso payment. I emailed ibilik about this and the advertiser but not response from either as of yet.

I m not sure what is happening.

"Shortly after"

Daydreamer
Posted
Posted

Update: The vendor deleted the advert shortly I made 11200 peso payment. I emailed ibilik about this and the advertiser but not response from either as of yet.

I m not sure what is happening.

"Shortly after"

Looks like the advertiser burned you and ibilik is washing their hands of the whole affair. Its a shame really, I wish you luck in getting some recourse but it looks like you're just out of 11200 pesos.

Genius
Posted
Posted

update: advertiser gone from listings but ibilik refunded funds as they hold them for 7 days after arrival date. So ibilik are honest just they have flaky advertisers, but I suppose that's not their fault; may of been mine for going so cheap in the 1st place. Just looking at airbnb now, seems more advanced and better populated with advertisers. Will report my findings.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I suspected that may happen as the accomodation providers are not checked out.  My guess is that the condo owner rented it out privately, for more, and forgot to tell ibilik.  Because they have no follow up program or investigation program I suspect it will happen a lot.

There's a business for JollyGoodFellow.  Set up an expat web site for folks who have rooms to rent or condos/houses for daily rent.  We have enough people who actually live here that one of the members could physically go and check it out before a listing goes up.

• Like 1

Daydreamer
Posted
Posted

update: advertiser gone from listings but ibilik refunded funds as they hold them for 7 days after arrival date. So ibilik are honest just they have flaky advertisers, but I suppose that's not their fault; may of been mine for going so cheap in the 1st place. Just looking at airbnb now, seems more advanced and better populated with advertisers. Will report my findings.

Then I stand corrected (about ibilik)! Glad that you got your money back, that's really good. Maybe think of it as a learning experience(I know I will). Thinking of trying sulit.com out, are they like the ebay of the Philippines or what? Because I've seen a lot of apartments for rent as well as other things for sale

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Then I stand corrected (about ibilik)! Glad that you got your money back, that's really good. Maybe think of it as a learning experience(I know I will). Thinking of trying sulit.com out, are they like the ebay of the Philippines or what? Because I've seen a lot of apartments for rent as well as other things for sale

I looked at a number of apartments listed on sulit and also used advertisements from the local weekly paper this spring in Baguio. I didn't have much luck finding a place using either of those. The apartment I ended up renting I found out about from another expat at an expat hangout here in Baguio. Some of the sulit advertisements were misleading... the ad and pics looked good... when I got there it was a dump nothing like it was purported to be. I found out that anything less than 8k pesos per month wasn't worth even looking at regardless of how good it seemed from the advertisement.