Asiana Air Pilots Named! Sum Ting Wong And Wi Tu Lo (Yes Really See Article)

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Well the news reporters were not finished with the Chicago Sun Times FRIGHT 214 headline. Not to be out done, Station KTVU, was tricked into stating the names of the pilots, however it was a 'joke'? See below.

FOX Affiliates, San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose

Epic KTVU Fail: Anchor Reports Pilot Names Including ‘Sum Ting Wong’ and ‘Wi Tu Lo’

By Chris Ariens on July 12, 2013 5:08 PM

On today’s Noon newscast on KTVU, the station claimed it had “just learned the names of the 4 pilots on board” Asiana flight 214 which crashed last Saturday. But the station was given bad information that made it all the way into the newscast. If you read the names it becomes immediately clear this is a joke, which went unnoticed by the newsroom, producers and the anchor.

You’ll recall earlier this week, KTVU touted its coverage as being not only first, but “100% accurate.”

“Being first on air and on every platform in all aspects of our coverage was a great accomplishment, but being 100% accurate, effectively using our great sources and social media without putting a single piece of erroneous information on our air, is what we are most proud of as a newsroom,” said News Director Lee Rosenthal at the time. Watch:

About 15 minutes later the station corrected its mistake, but claimed an NTSB official had confirmed the names.

Earlier in the newscast we gave some names of pilots involved in the Asiana Airlines crash. These names were not accurate despite an NTSB official in Washington confirming them late this morning. We apologize for this error.

> More: Further apology from KTVU president & GM Tom Raponi: “We sincerely regret the error and took immediate action to apologize, both in the newscast where the mistake occurred, as well as on our website and social media sites. Nothing is more important to us than having the highest level of accuracy and integrity, and we are reviewing our procedures to ensure this type of error does not happen again.”

The name Sum Ting Wong is also an old nursing joke regarding a retarded baby being born to an Asian couple. While not Asian related, the nurses use to also use FLK / GLM before they became PC incorrect. FLK = Funny Looking Kid and GLM = Good Looking Mother......

Curley
Posted
Posted

Just goes to prove that just because you are paid a lot it doesn't mean you're good.

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Following up, this is off another article where the station is blaming a summer intern for acting outside his scope of authority. Below are the 4 names used. Cut from that other article.

The names appear to mock the events of the crash. The prank names were: Captain Sum Ting Wong, Wi Tu Lo, Ho Lee ???? and Bang Ding Ow.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

Following up, this is off another article where the station is blaming a summer intern for acting outside his scope of authority. Below are the 4 names used. Cut from that other article.

The names appear to mock the events of the crash. The prank names were: Captain Sum Ting Wong, Wi Tu Lo, Ho Lee ???? and Bang Ding Ow.

Knowing Bruce for his sometimes off the wall remarks, I believe this OP is in no way offending the flight

crew of that tragic accident.  It would be just as hilarious if the pilots were Irish or Filipinos.

Respectfully -- Jake (wangin' my wong, wong)  

• Like 1

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Amazing how fast the blame and pass it off game is these days. Why take any sort of responsibility? There have been articles about the age and authority based culture of Korea. It comes down to respect for the elders and those in charge. Do not question them. Is that what newscasters and the rest of the world is coming to? Guess we are all destined to become lemmings waiting for our turn to walk off the cliff.

Oh, and I thought Jake would be Hung Tu Low

• Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Knowing Bruce for his sometimes off the wall remarks, I believe this OP is in no way offending the flight

crew of that tragic accident.  It would be just as hilarious if the pilots were Irish or Filipinos.

Respectfully -- Jake (wangin' my wong, wong)  

Who? Not me.... I just read this stuff and repost. While I can see the humor in it (a la Howard Stern style) there are those who take things too seriously. Just do not kill the messenger. :th_unfair:  

• Like 1

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

The accident itself aside, I think this is hilarious.

As far as I'm concerned, this proves that the clowns sitting at the desk behind a camera should be paid minimum wage.  Their entire job consists of reading whatever the teleprompter says.  Not a bit of intelligence needed.

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted
Their entire job consists of reading whatever the teleprompter says. Not a bit of intelligence needed.

Yup I agree and not just the journalist either .... some other people are in the same boat .....  :mocking:  :mocking:  :mocking: 

:cheersty:

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Are you sure the pilots' names weren't Mr. Kim and Mr. Park?

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Are you sure the pilots' names weren't Mr. Kim and Mr. Park?

As in Mr. Lee of China and Mr. Smith of the US? Mr. Singh of India?

I am not sure of Kim, but Park was the #1 Korean name for years.