Manila Airport - Q + A

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I have managed to avoid Manila until now.  In October I will be flying in and out with an overnight stay.  Click here to view the website I am getting my info from and please confirm or refute this info and add anything that will help.  The website is old so I do not know what is outdated.

Zest air will fly me from Tacloban to Manila where I arrive at 10ish in the evening, Oct 8.  Zest air is now owned by AirAsia so I hope their performance will be better than in the past.  Will I arrive at:

Terminal 4 ( formerly Manila old Domestic Airport ) = flights of Seair / Tiger Airways and Zest Air airlines.

At 9 the following morning, Zest air will fly me from Manila to Kota Kinabalu.  Will I leave from:

Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA), also called Terminal 1 = for all international flights, except Philippine Airlines and Cebu Pacific.

Now comes the part about finding a hotel to spend the night.  Not much is required.  Private room/cr with aircon and hot water would be nice.  Not sharing with bugs, mice and roaches would be excellent.   Walking distance from one or both of those Terminals would be excellent.  I do not want to spend my time and money on taxis and most places I find walking much better than taxis, provided the walk is 2 km or less.

I am finding a few places on line that are 1500 to 2000 pesos (after taxes etc) but I am not sure of distance.  I have read of people going to a short time hotel for 6 hours at under 1000,  Has anyone tried that?  Any suggestions for a short stay like this?  What do the rest of the members do when they have an overnight in Manila?

GregZ
Posted
Posted

The site you give looks to be pretty current; at least up to last fall when they started adding the port fee to the ticket prices.  I've flown in and out of Terminal 4 a few times lately.  The area does not look like a place I would want to stay.  I would suggest that you take the shuttle to Terminal 1 and do your walking from there if you really want to walk in Manila at 11pm; I do not recommend it. 

The distance from Terminal 4 to 1 is not that far, as your site explains.  The distance is measured by the 1 hour travel time in congested traffic.  That seems to be a bit of an exaggeration.. but do allow some time, especially on a shuttle as they took their time in running that shuttle the last time I tried to use it.  I finally said forget all this waiting after half an hour and got in a taxi.  Even the airport rate taxi was just 140 peso; worth it for the privacy and air conditioning.

I have seen the short stay places, but never experienced them so cannot comment there except to say they looked decent from the street.  I do know that to get to MANY decent hotels at less than 2000 pesos you can take an airport taxi for under 400 peso.  The taxi ride back (in a metered taxi) is under 300.  This is all the way to Saint Luke's Extension Clinic in Pasay.  That is where I was living so use it for my figures.  Places closer to the airport would obviously be less expensive to get to. 

Price to stay?  We stayed at the GranPrix...Mabini Street, wifi and breakfast included.  The only problem was the taxi back to the airport wanted to run with no meter.  We found another.  Make sure there is a meter and the driver is willing to use it before you get in.  I usually tip the taxi 40-50 peso at least in Manila because the cost of living there is higher and the rates do not reflect that.  My attempt to keep the metered taxi drivers using the meter.

Finally, AGAIN, walk in Manila at 11pm; I do not recommend it.  To each his own though.  Wishing you the best trip ever.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks for the info.

As you have spent time at Terminal 4 I need to ask another question.  Zest has gone through some changes and according to this site it looks like their flight to Kota Kinabalu leaves from Terminal 4 now.  The other sight said all International flights left from Terminal 1 but I'm inclined to believe AirAsia provided I am reading it right.

Does it sound like I am reading it right?  http://www.airasia.com/ph/en/latest-news/zest-air-airport-and-terminal-list.page

EDIT:  I hate Philippines today.  It is so hard to do business here. I have a super, super sweet deal on a Zest air ticket for a Visa run to KK and the Air Asia site and the Expedia site won't take my Canadian credit card or my Philippine debit card.  Its so hard getting them to take your money here.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
spyke69
Posted
Posted

best get a taxi to tune hotel in ermita...good for a overnite new and clean has good food and bar street level and a 7-11

spyke69
Posted
Posted

and why doing a visa run...???? can extent tourist visa in phil...forever so long you get the I-card and pay every 55 days

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

and why doing a visa run...???? can extent tourist visa in phil...forever so long you get the I-card and pay every 55 days

I guess you do not know the rules and unfortunately I have to tell you in this case you are wrong. 

• Like 2

spyke69
Posted
Posted

I beg to disagree ...if you enter PI on a 21 day tourist visa it can be extended in country at any BI office unless you got a crap passport...like russia or CIS country and I see nowhere in above posts saying why he needs a visa run? Post says he has a canuck credit card...so he a hoser..... aka C-eh N-eh D-eh...? Please correct my mistake....? I am curious....

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Please correct my mistake....?

The info has been posted on this site so many times, and is on the BI site, and I have personally done it so many times, that I would not know where to start.  But thanks for the tip on the Tune Hotel.  Looks reasonable.

spyke69
Posted
Posted

tune hotel hooked into airasia nothing flash but good value 2 streets off roxas blvd most taxis know...pay no more than 170 pesos from airport

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

I beg to disagree ...if you enter PI on a 21 day tourist visa it can be extended in country at any BI office

unless you got a crap passport...like russia or CIS country and I see nowhere in above posts saying why he needs a visa run?

Post says he has a canuck credit card...so he a hoser..... aka C-eh N-eh D-eh...? Please correct my mistake....? I am curious....

allow me to Correct you, and welcome to the forum

VISA EXTENSION FEES

• • Tourist (non-restricted)
  • • After 59 days of stay (initial 21 days + 38 days extension)
  • • After 6 mos. of stay
  • • Annual Report Fee

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/

http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=118&Itemid=51

as DAVE stated this topic has been covered many times, 

as a courtesy   to you i posted the info