Base In The Philippines

NavyRN
Posted
Posted

There's a rumor going around the U.S. that there might be another base opening in the Phils.  Has anyone heard this?

Bruce
Posted
Posted

NO way. Too many anti US politicians and they all want their names in the paper. Only temporary base 'sharing' and that will last only as long as the Chinese are flexing their muscle around the Philippines. If it were not for the Chinese, the US military could not get a cup of coffee from the Philippine government without paying a few hundred thousand for it. Love our money? Yes, Love our military... only when someone bigger than the Philippines is looking for some new fishing grounds.

Really. Things were looking better for the US tourists and military until the S. Koreans and Japanese showed up and started spending a few million... or more..... Then it was to the back of the friendship line for the US again. It was not until the Chinese came sniffing around that Manila realized that the Koreans and Japanese do not have much of a military, before then Noy would not even see the US ambassador... and that ambassador is of the opinion that most of us from the US are jus there to have sex with kids... but I do think he back pedaled a bit when we all said that people go to Thailand for such things (or Egypt :hystery: )  

Hey, while your avatar is too small to see much it looks like you are wearing a Mess Stewards uniform? You should get along well with Jake. When he is drinking too much he tries on his old Cracker Jack uniform and is soo proud when he can get the buttons to match up. Just don't tell him that his wife has let the uniform out... a few times! :hystery:

Oh yeah..... I have a marine friend who told me to tell you 'Thanks for the ride'.... whatever that means...... :tiphat:

As we RNs say in OB/GYN......

At your Cervix.......

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

My son USMC recently ETS'ed from Okinawa. He said and I have also read news that Guam would soon be greatly expanded especially for Naval and Marine aviation. The Japanese want us out. Funny thing they love the money and jobs the bases provide.

It has become very clear (without being negative or hateful) that Philippines loves US aid but not willing to provide anything in return. They are certainly entitled to refuse permanent bases.

If things got nasty with China (don't think it would ever come to that) Clark and Subic could be used on a temporary basis during a conflict via the new agreements made.

• Like 2

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

There's a rumor going around the U.S. that there might be another base opening in the Phils.  Has anyone heard this? :kidding:

NO BASES in the way we think of the "old bases". YES there might be troops station

but only on short term basis..NO FAMILY NOTHING like before.

just a rumor,,and thats what is it,,,

I have asked this question to "certain"members of the embassy staff and .

the short answer is

NO......(with a smile)

yes there maybe troops stationed here

, but only according to the VFA rules that are in effect

or what is allowed under "EXTREME" circumstances

.End of their answer,

If you would like to know more.

please attend the embassy events at the American cemetery

memorial & veterans day (please check for times and exact dates)

Edited by Pittman apartments Sgn
  • Like 2

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

There's a rumor going around the U.S. that there might be another base opening in the Phils.  Has anyone heard this?

I must admit I have heard a few rumours in Australia along the same lines.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I don't know what to compare the current activity to, but it seems that we have quite a few Navy ships stopping into Subic.  Nothing too big though.  Most looked liked support ships and only 1 or 2 at a time.  The sailors seem to have fairly liberal shore leave and are able walk around a lot.  One thing that is different from the 90's when the base closed is that now there are a lot of female sailors.

• Like 2

jon1
Posted
Posted

What will most likely happen is that they will "open" a PAF and PhilNavy base on Subic. And then lease spaces on them to the US for their "access". These areas will not be a base but if anything a mere compound with access to the facilities; runway, fuel, piers and refitting. 

The rhetoric at the strategic levels of the PH government (President/SecDef) have stepped up and it's essentially been approved.

The first step is to establish Philippine Defense bases within Subic... read this

http://punto.com.ph/News/Article/18019/Volume-7-No-17/Headlines/u-IN-NEXT-3-YEARS-u-br-PAF-to-fly-out-of-Clark

• Like 2

jon1
Posted
Posted

I must admit I have heard a few rumours in Australia along the same lines.

Here is your rumour confirmed.... http://breakingdefense.com/2013/07/11/us-marine-force-in-darwin-australia-boosts-to-1000-next-year-boost-to-meu-force-proceeds/

• Like 2

NavyRN
Posted
Posted

NO way. Too many anti US politicians and they all want their names in the paper. Only temporary base 'sharing' and that will last only as long as the Chinese are flexing their muscle around the Philippines. If it were not for the Chinese, the US military could not get a cup of coffee from the Philippine government without paying a few hundred thousand for it. Love our money? Yes, Love our military... only when someone bigger than the Philippines is looking for some new fishing grounds.

Really. Things were looking better for the US tourists and military until the S. Koreans and Japanese showed up and started spending a few million... or more..... Then it was to the back of the friendship line for the US again. It was not until the Chinese came sniffing around that Manila realized that the Koreans and Japanese do not have much of a military, before then Noy would not even see the US ambassador... and that ambassador is of the opinion that most of us from the US are jus there to have sex with kids... but I do think he back pedaled a bit when we all said that people go to Thailand for such things (or Egypt :hystery: )  

Hey, while your avatar is too small to see much it looks like you are wearing a Mess Stewards uniform? You should get along well with Jake. When he is drinking too much he tries on his old Cracker Jack uniform and is soo proud when he can get the buttons to match up. Just don't tell him that his wife has let the uniform out... a few times! :hystery:

Oh yeah..... I have a marine friend who told me to tell you 'Thanks for the ride'.... whatever that means...... :tiphat:

As we RNs say in OB/GYN......

At your Cervix.......

Not a mess steward's uniform... Dress Whites or "Chokers".  Tell your Marine Buddy that I was a Corpsman for 21 years serving with Division before I got commissioned and see what he says to that.

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted
Tell your Marine Buddy that I was a Corpsman for 21 years serving with Division before I got commissioned and see what he says to that.

Will do! Er.. ahhh, Aye Aye Sir???? I sure could have not done it. But if I did, I could have retired in 1973 with my 20! Oops.... maybe I should have done it after all. 

• Like 1