Converting Aussie Drivers License In Cebu

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Hey guys, has anyone converted their Aussie MDL to a Philippines one? If so, what is the procedure?

Cheers,

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Mike posted a useful message last year that should guide you through the LTO but there have been a few small changes I don't think you have to do a drug test any more;

http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/10225-getting-my-license-mandaue-lto/?hl=%2Bphilippine+%2Bdrivers+%2Blicense

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

That reads like "getting a license".  I thought I heard something about converting the license... do they recognize a foreign license or do you just start over?

MikeB
Posted
Posted

It was a conversion. It was also almost 2 years ago when I had only been here a few months. As long as your foreign license is valid they will convert it without taking a driving or written test. I read they stopped the drug test but I doubt if much else has changed. I would avoid the Mandaue LTO if possible.

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

I think that you have to convert within 90 days of your arrival.

Geoff Thomas
Posted
Posted (edited)

Its an easy process depending if you know someone that can take you through it such as Paul Whiteway member here and advertiser . Sure he stills offers his services which will get you through head ache free. 
I usually assist my real estate clients but don't offer it as a service ( Brother in law No2 LTO ) 

Paul the best bet and reasonably priced although no idea what he charges. 

This is in Cebu City only, not sure about Manila

Edited by Geoff Thomas
  • Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted
I would avoid the Mandaue LTO if possible.

Interesting ..... I found it to be just the opposite ..... when I got mine last year .... we were told the same thing and so went to Lapu x 2 and went early in the morning .... I was told "because you are a foreigner you must be interviewed by the LTO Chief in person and she doesn't arrive until after lunch" ..... well this sent up red flags immediately as there is no ruling that says you must be interviewed by an LTO Chief and i could smell a payment of gratuity BEFORE getting my license ..... there were 2 other foreigners waiting for her to appear .... 

Instead we headed to Mandaue and even with a discrepancy with the way the private lab filled out my drug test report (we had to have them add a word ..... did a report about my experience some where on the board) ..... we were out right after lunch .... they take 2 pictures of you for some reason and because of that don't issue your license until early afternoon ....

There was a super nice young and attractive lady at the first desk inside the glass in-closer that did all my paperwork and even gave me a chair to take out in the waiting area to sit in .... she also kept checking on us to make sure everything was OK during the rest of the procedure .... we walked out of there with my plastic card a little after 1:00pm .... 

Now some have claimed to get better service from people that perform a service (no not a fixer) but my theory is ...... fine if you want to pay someone to walk you through it BUT what do you do next time if they aren't around or you move to another location where they aren't there .... and just like ALL things you are going to have to do here in the Phils .... do it yourself only takes a little time and energy (and I'm retired .... don't know about you) so I got plenty of time .... read the board and people will walk you through it and you will feel better about yourself because you were able to accomplish a new experience on your own ...... that's why this board is invaluable when it comes to seeking and getting good advise .... :thumbsup:  ..... JMHO   

:cheersty: 

• Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I think that you have to convert within 90 days of your arrival.

Nope ..... I got mine transfered after having been here for over 4 years ..... the 90 days I believe refers to the length of time you can drive here on your foreign license AFTER you first arrive in country .... JMHO

:cheersty:

• Like 1

Bundy
Posted
Posted

Did mine in Carcar LTO last Jan. A fairly painless turnout really, did the drug test, eyesight and colourblind test, hearing etc etc, no worries. I'm one bloke who refuses to pay "fixers" or under the table money so the fat bugger at the "reception" desk didn't like me too much and wasn't about to go out of his way to assist us in any way shape or form. He told us to sit down as we would need to see the Carcar LTO head man when he arrived. 

So we sat down and i said to the missus, "This is bullsh&t" this guy hasn't taken any of our paperwork, "it's still in our hands" so with this, the missus just went inside and found the head guy.Within minutes she was signalling me to  come in.The bloke just asked me a few questions, mostly about my Aussie license which has a lot of numbers and codes on it meaning i can drive just about anything.He was a bit confused by it all so i said "listen mate, just give me a car and bike license that will do" he said ok, you will get the rest when you next renew.

I think the total cost was P1100.

• Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted

Did mine in Carcar LTO last Jan. A fairly painless turnout really, did the drug test, eyesight and colourblind test, hearing etc etc, no worries. I'm one bloke who refuses to pay "fixers" or under the table money so the fat bugger at the "reception" desk didn't like me too much and wasn't about to go out of his way to assist us in any way shape or form. He told us to sit down as we would need to see the Carcar LTO head man when he arrived. 

So we sat down and i said to the missus, "This is bullsh&t" this guy hasn't taken any of our paperwork, "it's still in our hands" so with this, the missus just went inside and found the head guy.Within minutes she was signalling me to  come in.The bloke just asked me a few questions, mostly about my Aussie license which has a lot of numbers and codes on it meaning i can drive just about anything.He was a bit confused by it all so i said "listen mate, just give me a car and bike license that will do" he said ok, you will get the rest when you next renew.

I think the total cost was P1100.

I love it when there is a pissed off Filipina with an Aussie attitude.  Well done to Mrs Bundy!

• Like 1