Solar Power

Whitty
Posted
Posted

Has anyone connected solar panels in an "on grid" system in Philippines ? If so ,does the electricity company give credit for power produced from your panels or reduce your electricity bill?

Thanks

Richard

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

Solar power is not accepted "on the grid" in the Philippines. Wind power and other forms of renewable energy are.

Why?

Well you would have to ask the man in charge who keeps refusing to allow this to happen.

It might be that he is related to someone who owns large amounts of shares in the Utility company, or.... their pockets might be attached in some way, not sure of the answer, but I do know that you can not make money from selling power back to the Utility companies in the Philippines.

I did have the facts on this and I will look up the info and pass it on once I find it.

Papa Carl

• Like 3

Whitty
Posted
Posted

Hi,I just received this reply from a Philippine solar company

Hi Richard,

Greetings from Solar Systems Philippines!

Thank you for your interest in renewable energy from the sun.

Certainly this time, you won’t need to worry about connecting to the grid for residential usage since the Grid tie solar system application has now been an approved system mandated by our law to go for green energy solution.

Let me know of your requirement in particular the wattage of each components and its operating hours so I can proposed a grid tie system for you.

Best Regards,

Nina Co Ceniza

So so far sounds like great news as electricity is a large portion of the cost of living in the Philippines
  • Like 1

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

That is good news, I guess there has been another change at the top of the department in charge.

However be careful as it may change again next week and once again you won't be able to connect to the grid. ha ha

I will look into this and get back with more information. I have a friend here in Angeles who installs Solar systems for house holds, so he should not the latest.

Papa Carl

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
9 posts 3 topics Local time: 05:15 AM Gender:Male Location:Sydney Country of Birth: Blood Type:No Listing Posted Yesterday, 09:34 PM Hi,I just received this reply from a Philippine solar company     Hi Richard,   Greetings from Solar Systems Philippines!   Thank you for your interest in renewable energy from the sun.   Certainly this time, you won’t need to worry about connecting to the grid for residential usage since the Grid tie solar system application has now been an approved system mandated by our law to go for green energy solution.   Let me know of your requirement in particular the wattage of each components and its operating hours so I can proposed a grid tie system for you.   Best Regards,   Nina Co Ceniza So so far sounds like great news as electricity is a large portion of the cost of living in the Philippines

Does this mean you can use solar energy generated by your panels during daytime hours; "sell" any excess to the power company; and "buy" from the power company during evening hours?  I assume this requires some sort of monitoring device and after computing plus and minus, you receive a statement at the end of each month. The apparent advantage is you don't need a storage battery, which is expensive.

Whitty
Posted
Posted

Hi everyone,

Electricity is becoming more and more expensive in Australia and probably Philippines also. Solar and wind turbine power generation systems can be designed to meet all your power needs. This idea also takes pressure from the electricity providers who can become overloaded at times. If you are connected to the grid at the moment,the best way to go is to install an on grid system. During times when your home system is generating more power than you are using,the meter will spin backwards and at night and/or low wind times ,you use power from the grid .If you are living off grid then you will need a battery bank It's a simple concept and providing you use quality components may last for many many years . Advances in solar panel efficiency will probably mean that panel costs and area of panels required will reduce over the coming years. 

jon1
Posted
Posted

There is now a company in the Subic Freeport zone that offers some solar solutions (solar heaters, generators, etc.)

http://www.bandasolar.com/

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

If you have property with a year round stream and enough vertical drop you can install low flow hydro electric. If you have property where you can use this it is much more efficient and cost effective than either solar or wind.

http://www.homepower.com/articles/microhydro-power/basics/what-microhydro-power

• Like 2

Whitty
Posted
Posted

This low flow hydro also sounds interesting . Thanks for your post . I will check it out. To be independent from the utilities is a dream and goal of mine.