Solar Power

Whitty
Posted
Posted

Panels and systems seem to be much more expensive in Philippines than here in Australia .  . Considering other ways to get system to Samboan .

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

I can only imagine how fast the thieves would steal the stuff off my roof.

• Like 2

imonacan
Posted
Posted (edited)

I hear often... about the frequent brownouts , and high cost of electric bills, on Cebu. If I do build, it would make sense to put a 1000 watt solar system on the roof, to charge batteries to run essentials, for a bit. Wouldn't be good, if it attracts thieves, and makes me stand out like a sore thumb. I'll be building (if I do) out in the province, and not a gated community. Guess I'll have to live there awhile first, to get the skinny on .. if it's practical, or not

Edited by imonacan

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)

If you have property with a year round stream and enough vertical drop you can install low flow hydro electric. If you have property where you can use this it is much more efficient and cost effective than either solar or wind.

http://www.homepower.com/articles/microhydro-power/basics/what-microhydro-power

There is an interesting video on youtube about using an 4kw end suction pump as a generator at a school in Thailand. with 35 meter head of water, 6 or 8 inch collector reducing to 2 inch pipe and running through the pump, the power generated was 3.2 kw after it was rectified to single phase 230v I believe. I also noticed that the force of the water was only slightly diminished, meaning that they could have run a second generator only slightly smaller off of the waste water from the first pump. This was an unmodified pump.

I think I could mount a pump as an impeller for an ordinary generator if I had to, if I couldn't find an electrical engineer to rectify the reverse turning pump motor as generator for me.

I can see other benefits for the at least cooler mountain stream waste water under pressure near my home, domestic but not drinking water unless you filter and it may be cool enough for an effective chill water air conditioning system. Of course irrigation water after passing through the chiller. :) If you just had the right spot.

I apologize for the off topic, I just found this exciting.

Edited by robert k