Question For "dr Bob", Ubuntu Guru

Markham
Posted
Posted

Bob

I have two PCs connected to a Cisco router. Both can connect to the internet but they can't "see" each other even though I have set up some shared folders. One PC is running 13.04 and the other 12.04.

Can you shed any light on this problem?

Malcolm Graham
Posted
Posted

One quick test is to try to connect with IPAddress/sharename.      

Malcolm Graham
Posted
Posted

I was going to give you the link to the full article on the Ubuntu forums but unfortunately its down due to a security breach

Markham
Posted
Posted

Thanks! That's why I asked here but our resident guru seems to be awol!

jpbago
Posted
Posted

It is unusual that he is awol. We should be concerned.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Yes, I started thinking such too some days ago. He has told he has some health problems.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Yes, I started thinking such too some days ago. He has told he has some health problems.

Bob is OK and contacted us today, he will be back soon he said.  :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted

Bob is OK and contacted us today, he will be back soon he said.  :thumbsup:

I'm seriously breaking his personal confidentiality but Bob would not mind now.  You see, Bob revealed to me that

it was positive on his pregnancy test and had a mild heart attack....but quickly recovered when he learned it was

a false positive.  Way to go Bob!

Who's your daddy -- Jake 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
i am bob
Posted
Posted

Thanks guys. Sorry Jake but the rabbit died because he was for supper. Seriously, I have one chamber of my heart that I refer to as beating to it's own drum. I don't feel that bad but the docs have decided that the word "Chronic" is to preface the term "Arrhythmia" and thus I was forced into an unwanted holiday.

Now, so I can answer the question properly, can you tell me the model number of the Cisco router and how were each computer connected?

Markham
Posted
Posted
Now, so I can answer the question properly, can you tell me the model number of the Cisco router and how were each computer connected?

Thanks Bob, I'm pleased to learn you're feeling better :).

The router model is "WRT160N V3" to which two desktop PCs are connected to its ethernet ports and a laptop via WiFi. A HP OfficeJet 8500 printer/scanner is also attached to an ethernet port on the router and I can print (and scan) from any PC without problem. I have configured sharing for those folders on each PC that I want "exposed" to the network such as each PC's "Documents" folder and therein lies the problem. From any one machine, I can see the other PCs' shared folders but if I try to open a shared folder (on another PC), I get an "insufficient permissions" error.

All my PCs are (currently) dual-boot and if I boot into Windows, I can access the shared folders on other PCs that are also currently running Windows but not if its running Ubuntu (same permissions problem).

Ideally I'd have a NAS drive also attached to the router for backups etc., but no one stocks them here in Davao (or in Cebu) so I've had to opt for a compromise: an external USB-3 unit that's attached to one of the desktops and I'd really like to configure the Deja Backup utility, on each PC, to store my daily backups. But I can't due to the permissions problem.

Any ideas?