Question For "dr Bob", Ubuntu Guru

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Update the one machine from Ubuntu 12.04 to 13.04.  There is a bit of an issue reading sometimes between the 2 versions. 

I would also check your security level for each Ubuntu user setting on both machines.  It sounds like you are set ok for Windows but you may be lacking on your Ubuntu log-in.  

If those are ok, let me know and I'll get to the next steps to check.

Markham
Posted
Posted

The second desktop has now been upgraded to 13.04 - AMD 64bit - whilst all the others run 13.04 32bit.

My log-ins are identical for all machines and they're set to auto-login.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

The second desktop has now been upgraded to 13.04 - AMD 64bit - whilst all the others run 13.04 32bit.

My log-ins are identical for all machines and they're set to auto-login.

If you have the same log in on ask your computers and one is a 64 bit, you may run into an issue and actually confuse the system. Do you use the same log in name as well as the same name for both machines? If you do, go on and change the name on one of them. You ideally should never use the same computer name on different computers because of this. Easier thing to do at this stage is to just change one log in. This may cause your issue but I don't think it is. And I don't know about your security settings on the files.

Markham
Posted
Posted

All the machines have different names (of course!). The security settings are at whatever default - I've not done anything to change any other than to share the folders.