Things To Do In Cebu

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

As you guys have probably gathered, I have a soft spot for Cebu. I found this cool list on another web site listing some cool things to do in Cebu instead of flirting with bargirls. Cool list. Enjoy!

- Watch a movie on the huge screen at the Imax Theatre in SM Mall

- Go to kart zone and ride on the Go Karts

- Go to the Sky Experience Adventure

http://www.skyexperienceadventure.com/

- Go for a picnic at a water park such as Tubod Flowing Waters, Villa Terisita or Aqua Cainta

http://www.cebuspring.com/

http://www.villatere....com/index.html

http://aquacainta.webs.com/

- Go swimming with whale sharks at Oslob

- Go for a day tour to Kawasan Falls

- Go for a day tour to Bohol and go swimming underground in the Hinagdanan cave, visit the Chocolate Hills and do a lunch cruise on the Loboc River

- Pay to use the facilities of a beach resort, for the day, on Mactan island 

- Tour the Metro Cebu historical sites dating back to 1521

- Visit a guitar factory on Mactan island and see guitars being made.

- Go diving from Mactan island

- Take a day tour to Moalboal to go diving

- Island hop the small islands near Mactan island

- Take the Bojo river Eco cruise.

http://www.mynomadic...aloguinsan.html

- Go to a cock fight

- Go ten pin bowling with expats on Wednesdays

- Go running/walking with the Cebu hash House Harriers on Saturdays

- Go drinking at one of the numerous expat bars in Cebu City

• Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
- Watch a movie on the huge screen at the Imax Theatre in SM Mall  Been there, done that, great idea

- Go for a picnic at a water park such as Tubod Flowing Waters, Villa Terisita or Aqua Cainta  Been there, done that, great idea

- Pay to use the facilities of a beach resort, for the day, on Mactan island  Been there, done that, great idea

- Island hop the small islands near Mactan island  Been there, done that, great idea

- Go ten pin bowling with expats on Wednesdays  Been there, done that, great idea

- Go running/walking with the Cebu hash House Harriers on Saturdays  Been there, done that, great idea

- Go drinking at one of the numerous expat bars in Cebu City  Been there, done that, great idea

Lets add:

-  Throw a party and invite expats that you know from the Internet (to get to know them for real)

-  Check out a couple of bikini bars or ktv bars from the very cheap to the most expensive.  Even if not looking for sex you will have a good time.  Some guys have gone with their (open minded) wives.

-  Don't forget the massage.  The most interesting and most traditional massage place I can think of is Holiday Massage a few blocks from Tune Hotel near Ayala Mall

- eat at a SuTuKil restaurant, shop at Colon and/or carbon market, take a ride to the Top

• Like 4

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

- Watch a movie on the huge screen at the Imax Theatre in SM Mall  Been there, done that, great idea
- Go for a picnic at a water park such as Tubod Flowing Waters, Villa Terisita or Aqua Cainta  Been there, done that, great idea
- Pay to use the facilities of a beach resort, for the day, on Mactan island  Been there, done that, great idea
- Island hop the small islands near Mactan island  Been there, done that, great idea
- Go ten pin bowling with expats on Wednesdays  Been there, done that, great idea
- Go running/walking with the Cebu hash House Harriers on Saturdays  Been there, done that, great idea
- Go drinking at one of the numerous expat bars in Cebu City  Been there, done that, great idea

Lets add:
-  Throw a party and invite expats that you know from the Internet (to get to know them for real)
-  Check out a couple of bikini bars or ktv bars from the very cheap to the most expensive.  Even if not looking for sex you will have a good time.  Some guys have gone with their (open minded) wives.
-  Don't forget the massage.  The most interesting and most traditional massage place I can think of is Holiday Massage a few blocks from Tune Hotel near Ayala Mall
- eat at a SuTuKil restaurant, shop at Colon and/or carbon market, take a ride to the Top

I will add those to my list :)

• Like 1

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Another list found of things to do in Cebu

1. shopping mall SM Cebu – the second biggest shopping mall in the Philippines after the Mall of Asia in Manila. You have to eat in the food court here. It is the experience by itself. You can get fresh buko juice (the way to call coconut juice in the Philippines) in a bottle here, cut fruits and fresh bread.

food-court-in-shopping-mall-SM-in-Cebu-i  

2. Chinese cemetery Queen City Gardens – situated on the road going to SM.

6519368467_098bddd906_n.jpg

3. graffiti wall around Queen City – check out some very nice graffiti out there.

6519368647_f4f1b49f49_n.jpg

4. Minglanilla public market – a couple of kilometres from Cebu City, it is a traditional local market where all goods are being sold, from fresh seafood, fish, to meat, vegetables and fruit. The locals buy their food as it is much cheaper than department stores or shopping malls. I bet you will be the only white person over there. But everyone will smile at you, say hi and be extremely nice to you. That’s how the Filipinos are to foreigners.

6519368793_ee6c2f2b80_n.jpg

5. Fort San Pedro – its construction began on 8th May 1565. First made of wood, then of stone. Was built to defend the locals against the Spanish expedition who wanted to colonize the area. 11 days after the fort began to be built, Miguel Lopez de Legazpi arrived here and founded the first Spanish settlement in Cebu. The fort is triangular in shape so consists of three bastions – La Concepcion, San Ignacio de Loyola and San Miguel.
The fort used to be the place of military garrison Warwick Barracks, then a park, Cebu Garden Club, Cebu Zoo, government offices and now it has been converted to a National shrine. There is a little shrine to pray and a well Pozo de la Virgen.

6519369069_408e13a577_n.jpg

• Like 2

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

6. Plaza Independencia – a square next to the Fort San Pedro. It is a famous dating site, couples and lovers meet up there usually. It is actually one of the most historically significant places in Cebu. In the center of the plaza there is the obelisk dedicated to Legazpi, the first Spanish Governor – General of the Philipines. The square was renamed a couple of times, from military Plaza de Armas, to Plaza Mayor, Plaza Maria Cristina during the Spanish reign, then Plaza Libertad during the American colonization and finally Plaza Independencia. It was in 2006 when the SRP tunnel was constructed here and prehispanic human bones were found in here .

6519369309_143c8551a8_n.jpg

7. Malacañang of the South – the white big building. Built due to the request of the ex-president Gloria Arroyo. One of the reasons why in Cebu is because she won the landslide vote in Cebu, so she wanted to thank the Cebu people somehow. But there is supposed to be just one of these buildings in the capital Manila – the main office of the president.

6519369229_bd3a87d82d_n.jpg

8. Magellan’s cross – a shrine at the place where Ferdinand Magellan put the cross and brought the Christianity to Cebu.

6519369411_33f334751b_n.jpg

6519369537_9f843d9703_n.jpg

9. Santo Niño church – supposed to be the oldest church in the Philippines. People lit the candles there and say the prayers.

6519270249_9e7bc91477_n.jpg

6519270413_e40a2b7866_n.jpg

6519270057_18df9df2b7_n.jpg

• Like 1

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

10. Cathedral and its museum with religious artifacts – one of the oldest churches in Cebu and obviously one of the most important ones, too. Big events and wedding of politicians and businessmen and just wealthy people take place there. It is a place for the rich, while the Santo Niño church is for the masses, the poorer ones and is overcrowded.

6519321763_cb0bafd586_n.jpg

6519321765_fddae5f1a4_n.jpg

11. Heritage of Cebu – locally called Parian.

6519331091_59889b9c4a_n.jpg

12. University of San Carlos and its museum – entrance fee 30 Php, old the collections of the University, e.g. artificial teeth mutilation, preserved animals, religious artifacts, etc.

6519321777_70e173ed26_n.jpg

13. Colon street – the oldest and the shortest street in the Philippines named after Christopher Columbus. There have been a lot of changes at Colon street throughout its history.

6519270619_11120534dd_n.jpg

14. Lapulapu shrine – this was the place where Lapulapu killed Magellan during the battle between the Spaniards and Muslims. The statue of Lapulapu commemorates the battle in here. He was the chief of his tribe and Magellan was the Captain of the first Spanish expedition to reach the Philippines in 1521. There are plenty of souvenir shops next to the shrine where you can get for example guitars. Cebuanos (Cebu people) are famous guitar makers.

6519270897_c0e46f2bf1_n.jpg

• Like 1

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

15. Mactan bridge – the Lapulapu city and Mandaue city are connected by it

6519271025_f7bf35d09b_n.jpg

16. IT park – place with a lot of call centers and restaurants. E.g. Mexican restaurant Moon cafe, then Casa Verde or cafe East west for famous Mango crepe. To get great ice cream, head off to La Marea and ask for ”brownie a la mode”.

6519271229_18b28363ee_n.jpg

17. Larsian BBQ station food -  a popular place for bloggers to hang out, together with the locals.

6519269859_54bbb3bcc2_n.jpg

18. Kawasan waterfalls – the famous waterfalls in Cebu, for family and friends outings, they hang out there. It is a famous tourist spot, too. And actually we did meet some tourists there. Oh, yeah. Kawasan falls have three levels – three different waterfalls. The first one of them is where the most of the people stay, swim and eat. If you feel like going further, you can walk a bit up to the second level of the waterfalls where you will find less tourists and two restaurants. You actually have to pay to sit in one of the cottages there, it is 300 Php. Even if you want to order some food, you still have to pay which I did not fin very pleasant and fair. Pay just to sit somewhere? Not nice! But being travel bloggers and wanting to promote this place, we did not have to pay as we had our lunch in there.
The third level is where the water comes from and distributes to the second and first level. It is another couple of minutes trekking up along the river. The water is bubbling here so let’s have a bubble bath here icon_smile.gif They sell buko juice in here to enjoy the place better.

6519271379_4a1f9cf418_n.jpg

19. Badian beach at the bus stop for the waterfalls. It is not one of the nicest beaches ever, but you will be there alone for sure. So relax and enjoy your own company!

6519271505_31b222c595_n.jpg

20. Moalboal town where you take a tricycle to the beach Basdaku White beach (in Cebuano – bas means sand, daku means big)

6519271737_ce10d23bc2_n.jpg

• Like 2

GregZ
Posted
Posted (edited)
Go ten pin bowling with expats on Wednesdays

I would like more information on this one.... is this the same as Dave H was talking about, "I used to bowl with a group of expats on Wednesday afternoon at 1 pm at the bowling lanes behind Country Mall."?

What is the current state of this???  I'm ready for this coming Wednesday if it is.  Details? Wifes? I don't want to bring mine. :bash:  What does it cost there?

Gaisano Country Mall, Talamban Road, Banilad, Cebu City, Philippines the right place?  BEHIND the mall?

Edited by GregZ

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I would like more information on this one.... is this the same as Dave H was talking about, "I used to bowl with a group of expats on Wednesday afternoon at 1 pm at the bowling lanes behind Country Mall."?

What is the current state of this???  I'm ready for this coming Wednesday if it is.  Details? Wifes? I don't want to bring mine. :bash:  What does it cost there?

Gaisano Country Mall, Talamban Road, Banilad, Cebu City, Philippines the right place?  BEHIND the mall?

Its the only one.  You have the location right.  Be there about quarter to 1.  Not much earlier or you will be there by yourself.  Not much later or you will not get on a team.

Only way to find out the current state is to show up and find out.  Hang on, let me see if I can find the email address . . .rats the search function on my yahoo mail is acting up and I have 2 decades of mail on there so cannot find an email addy for you to inquire.  Just show up and ask.  All are welcome.

About a third of the guys bring their wives and the wives bowl in their own groups while the guys bowl together and get acquainted.  The price is little enough that I cannot remember.  Let me try to guess/remember at about 200 pesos per person plus any snacks/drinks you buy but I may be way out on that.

Ahhhh.  Just found an email addy for the previous co-ordinator but he hasn't sent me a mail for 3 years so not sure if still accurate.  I will pm you the addy.

the bowling lanes are:  Take the road going 'through' country mall and turn right.  Its a huge parking lot and the big building in it is the one you want.  Lots of busses and stuff park in there. 

• Like 2

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Its the only one.  You have the location right.  Be there about quarter to 1.  Not much earlier or you will be there by yourself.  Not much later or you will not get on a team.

Only way to find out the current state is to show up and find out.  Hang on, let me see if I can find the email address . . .rats the search function on my yahoo mail is acting up and I have 2 decades of mail on there so cannot find an email addy for you to inquire.  Just show up and ask.  All are welcome.

About a third of the guys bring their wives and the wives bowl in their own groups while the guys bowl together and get acquainted.  The price is little enough that I cannot remember.  Let me try to guess/remember at about 200 pesos per person plus any snacks/drinks you buy but I may be way out on that.

Ahhhh.  Just found an email addy for the previous co-ordinator but he hasn't sent me a mail for 3 years so not sure if still accurate.  I will pm you the addy.

the bowling lanes are:  Take the road going 'through' country mall and turn right.  Its a huge parking lot and the big building in it is the one you want.  Lots of busses and stuff park in there. 

I will catch up with you guys at the alley next time I am in country.

• Like 1