Meds And The Va

westhmess
Posted
Posted (edited)

Good morning ex pats. I have a predicament that I'm hoping someone can help me with. I'm coming to phils right after I get my meds from VA to allow me the most possible time there. This morning I was thinking, which is dangerous for me, but that's another topic. I thought, why not contact VA and ask my doctor to give me a two month supply of meds which would allow me to stay 7 weeks instead of three weeks? Makes sense, doesn't it? Not to VA. I was told there is no circumstance where they will issue a two month supply. Of course this was through the secure message center. I call it the 'Hurry up and wait' center. hurry up and type your message, wait 1 hour to 3 days for a response. Not to be deterred I sent another message to my doctor. I though I actually had the answer this time. ha ! I asked him if it would be possible to coordinate with VA in manila to pick up my meds there. He said international law prevents him from doing that. So, I started thinking again. I messaged him again, and I'm beginning to hear him sound weary of my stupid questions, but I asked anyway. (He doesn't know me very well) I don't give up easily. So, I asked him if he couldn't write script to refill my meds at the time they are due, and I again could pick them up in Manila. I thought, actually, that was my best idea yet. Apparently he didn't think so. Let me interject this fact.
Up until now I had been sending and receiving messages through his nurse, who also was beginning to seem a bit perturbed Imagine that, here I was constantly messaging them in the middle of a very busy day. Well, I had no alternative, I needed answers. The next reply came from the doctor himself, telling me he couldn't write scripts to another VA in another country.
He couldn't give me more than a 28 day supply under any circumstances, and he couldn't work with VA in Manila.
Never, even in my high school days was I rejected this many times in one day. Now I think I hate the word 'couldn't'. This could have far reaching mental consequences during the rest of my life. lol
So, my question to the experience of this forum is, what can I do to stay longer than the 21 planned days? Thanks for any help you can give me.
Wes

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
split into own topic
  • Like 1

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

What you might be able to do is check with different pharmacies here. Many meds needing a script in the US do not require it here. Maybe you can just buy the extra you need above and beyond the 28 day restriction. Just a thought and not illegal.

• Like 2

Dana
Posted
Posted

Good morning ex pats. I have a predicament that I'm hoping someone can help me with. I'm coming to phils right after I get my meds from VA to allow me the most possible time there. This morning I was thinking, which is dangerous for me, but that's another topic. I thought, why not contact VA and ask my doctor to give me a two month supply of meds which would allow me to stay 7 weeks instead of three weeks? Makes sense, doesn't it? Not to VA. I was told there is no circumstance where they will issue a two month supply. Of course this was through the secure message center. I call it the 'Hurry up and wait' center. hurry up and type your message, wait 1 hour to 3 days for a response. Not to be deterred I sent another message to my doctor. I though I actually had the answer this time. ha ! I asked him if it would be possible to coordinate with VA in manila to pick up my meds there. He said international law prevents him from doing that. So, I started thinking again. I messaged him again, and I'm beginning to hear him sound weary of my stupid questions, but I asked anyway. (He doesn't know me very well) I don't give up easily. So, I asked him if he couldn't write script to refill my meds at the time they are due, and I again could pick them up in Manila. I thought, actually, that was my best idea yet. Apparently he didn't think so. Let me interject this fact.

Up until now I had been sending and receiving messages through his nurse, who also was beginning to seem a bit perturbed Imagine that, here I was constantly messaging them in the middle of a very busy day. Well, I had no alternative, I needed answers. The next reply came from the doctor himself, telling me he couldn't write scripts to another VA in another country.

He couldn't give me more than a 28 day supply under any circumstances, and he couldn't work with VA in Manila.

Never, even in my high school days was I rejected this many times in one day. Now I think I hate the word 'couldn't'. This could have far reaching mental consequences during the rest of my life. lol

So, my question to the experience of this forum is, what can I do to stay longer than the 21 planned days? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Wes

I always get a 90 day script here in the U.S. maybe it's different when your in another country

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I had some meds they would give me a 90 day script and some they would give only 30 days.  I think it depends on the med.  Your best bet is try and find some after you get here... but that could be a bad way to plan a trip.  Perhaps someone here could check the pharmacy for you?  Once you know if it is available here you can make your travel plans accordingly.

• Like 1

lonewolf
Posted
Posted

i also get a a ninty day refill on my meds,good luck

• Like 1

westhmess
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all the replies/help. It would be easy if it was calcium, but the drugs i'm talking about are a controlled substance. oxycodone and morphine. I have to call out the big gun for my tice broken back.

I gave my girlfriend the names of them. She went to the pharmacy and they weren't familiar with them. Surely they have them under another name. If I can get them in phils, I might take an extended vacation. How cool would that be?

thanks all for the info. I think you just made my day.

Wes

• Like 2

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

I had some meds they would give me a 90 day script and some they would give only 30 days.

I think it depends on the med.  Your best bet is try and find some after you get here... but that could be a bad way to plan a trip.  Perhaps someone here could check the pharmacy for you?  Once you know if it is available here you can make your travel plans accordingly.

the MANILA VA is open to those w/service related disabilities.

it allows those who "meet the criteria" to avail of its services,

you would need to "register" to avail of its services...

although I am ineligible  for VA services here

i could back in the land of the big PX ..

as the other posters stated, get a 90 supply /or scrip

OR pay out of pocket for it,, if you will be here a long time,

perhaps consider to FEDEX or another mailing service if the "cost" of the medicine is HIGH

or "rare". i mean rare in the term that its NOT AVAILABLE,

meds here, some are "CHEAP" others ,,   :th_unfair: 

look at the site..(........listed below......)as it has a listing of the meds available here  (like a PDR) 

http://www.thefilipinodoctor.com/drugs-search.php?alpha=A&show=drugs

http://www.thefilipinodoctor.com/drugs-search.php?alpha3=A&show=health

late EDIT, i read that its an "controlled substance",I strongly suggest that you contact the

MANILA VA DIRECTLY, explain your situation.small chance they can help... SMALL chance I say,

http://www2.va.gov/directory/guide/facility.asp?ID=682

Eligibility for care at the Manila OPC is UNIQUE and by appointment only. 

A US Military Veteran must have a VA service-connected disability rating of at least zero percent. 

Service connected US Veterans who receive services through the Manila OPC may be treated for their non-service connected disabilities within the available scope of services and resources of the Manila OPC.

Recent US Military combat Veterans may receive care at no cost for a limited period of time regardless of whether or not they have a VA service-connected disability of at least zero percent.  For more information go to:  http://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/.

Edited by Pittman apartments Sgn

westhmess
Posted
Posted

Wow! You have a plethora of info. Very much appreciated too. I will, as you suggest, try to find a doctor in phil that will give me scripts. the next thing will be to contact VA in manila and see what they can do. I don't believe international law or VA rules intended for this to be the way things are done. I firmly believe if I could find the right person in VA they could make this happen. Jut knowing who to contact is a big chore, finding them, I mean. For the immediate future I believe I ill purue all avenue at VA until I'm satisfied there Is no help there. After that I will hit your list hard and try to find a solution. The very worst that can happen is I come back to the states after 3 weeks. : (

Thanks again for the obvious amount of work you have done to help me. Maybe we can get together for a beer or dinner if you're not too far from Ormoc. Bring the wives/girl friends of course.

Wes

• Like 1

BooBoo
Posted
Posted

Greetings! Those meds are not given to anyone I know of here, and only a few doctors have a licens to despense controled drugs like that. VA here  WILL NOT give you those drugs under any cirmstances, and you will have to have concrete proof you are authorized them if a customs serch is done. A doctors prescription WILL NOT allow you to have them in your possesion here.

Normally if you are given them, they are despensed at a medical facility.

I was on percondone when I came here, the VA changed it to tramadol which is a seditive, and that is also controled but not as closely. Good lick.

• Like 2

Lordblacknail
Posted
Posted

When I left the US I asked for and got a year’s supply of the two medicines that I take. I doubled up on the dosage and actually got a 2 years supply. I supplemented them with a prescription in the states from a friendly doctor and someone brought them here for me.

I think you’re going about this the wrong way bud, banging your head against the VA wall. Document what the VA has told you up to this point, and then forward it all to your congressman with a note something to the effect, Why is the VA telling me I can't take a vacation longer than 28 days just because I am disabled? kind of thing. I think you will be amazed at how quickly you get answers from the VA. Whether they will be different or better, I don't know, but I will bet you will get their attention.

• Like 1