How Many Ex Pats Live In Phils?

westhmess
Posted
Posted

My daughter is totally paranoid about my moving to Phils. She thinks because we met online that my g/f is not who she says she is and is going to kill me for my money. Moneey?  lol Certainly not worth killing someone for.

Anyway, back to my topic. I would like to give my daughter some facts about living conditions in Phils. Does anyone know, or know where to find out how many ex pats live there? (I'm not there yet but three weeks will take care of that.)  I want to be able to tell her how many people live there and are very happy with their "online" girl friends/wives.

Have a great day.

Wes

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Hey neighbor!  I'm from Dallas but live in Iloilo now.  I have no idea how many live over here.  Not as many here as in Cebu/Angeles/Manila but even we have a lot.  Those damn foreigners are all over the mall ha ha!

My sister had all the same ideas about me getting killed and not really knowing girlfriend etc.  I agreed that I did not really know her until we meet - but I was moving here anyway.  She was just a bonus - and turned to be quite a wonderful bonus.  I have been here 5 months and my sister has calmed down somewhat - but still thinks I am crazy.   :tiphat:

I looked around google but could not find any numbers.  I'm not sure if immigration posts any numbers but someone here might have some ideas... I will be looking forward to the replies.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

From Wikipedia:

"In 2012, the U.S. State Department estimated that there were over 300,000 U.S. citizens living in the Philippines"

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The State Department estimate of 300,000 is published in the U.S. Embassy (Manila) website along with other information. It excludes embassy personnel, military and aid workers. This figure is for everyone from students to company executives to retirees. 

The Philippine ancestry population in the United States is 3.4 million according to US Census. The State Department figures are nearly 4.0 million, but this number includes informal residents and undocumented workers. The significance is many families who cannot afford university tuition and fees send their children to the Philippines to attend the top universities that would cost them $5,000 to $8,000 a year including board & lodging. A good example is a degree in physical therapy because it is in high demand and pays well. As a regulated industry, you need to pass the test to get state certification, but you don't need Harvard or Yale at $30,000 to $40,000 a year to pass the test. Their children graduate without student debt. 

Another big number are Filipino-Americans who return home in retirement.

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

I saw somewhere that there are 5,000 Canadians living in RP (not all were born in Canada, some are Filipinos, British, or other countries with Canadian passports.)  and 500,000 Filipinos living in Canada. A Filipino can get a 6 month visa to Canada for $73 or 3050p. I get 2 months here for the same cost.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
My daughter is totally paranoid about my moving to Phils.

If you are moving here sight unseen then she has a right to be paranoid.  Fortunately it works out fine for a large percentage of the people who do it, but the horror stories from people who move here without visiting first are legendary.  It does happen that people get killed for their money but it is more common to find out the new 'wife' is holding back pertinent information which ends up costing you a small fortune.

Anyway, this is not meant to scare you off.  Its meant to suggest that you and other people open their eyes.  Come here and look.  Meet the girl and don't be blinded by love or lust.  Take a few months minimum -  living with or near her - before you decide marriage is for you.  Do you want to know what one of the main activities for the retirees here is?  Its sitting in the bar or coffee shop talking about the guys who came over without due diligence (although all thought they had) and got royally screwed.

• Like 5

westhmess
Posted
Posted

Hey neighbor!  I'm from Dallas but live in Iloilo now.  I have no idea how many live over here.  Not as many here as in Cebu/Angeles/Manila but even we have a lot.  Those damn foreigners are all over the mall ha ha!

My sister had all the same ideas about me getting killed and not really knowing girlfriend etc.  I agreed that I did not really know her until we meet - but I was moving here anyway.  She was just a bonus - and turned to be quite a wonderful bonus.  I have been here 5 months and my sister has calmed down somewhat - but still thinks I am crazy.   :tiphat:

I looked around google but could not find any numbers.  I'm not sure if immigration posts any numbers but someone here might have some ideas... I will be looking forward to the replies.

Howdy neighbor,

I don't know if it will mean anything to my daughter anyway. It was unbelievable the things she was saying. You would think they ( kids, I'm 71 ) would be a little supportive. Just think, If I stay in the states eventually it would be them taking care of me and that would not be pretty. They don't stop to think what a big favor I'm doing them and me. I spent a great deal of time thinking about what I should do with the rest of my life. And ten I was talking to a friend and he told me he was going to Phils. BINGO !  That would be a nice place to visit. Well, of course I'm a curious sort and opened an account at Filipino cupid, just for grins. Well, dayum! Lookee here.  lol  So, I started giving a lot of thought as to what kind of woman I would want in my life. Well, I started looking in earnest. Then I saw her profile. No kids at home, self employed, pretty, humble, hmmm. Now you have the rest of the story. If my daughter had asked any of the right questions, she would have known it wasn't just a spur of the moment thing. So, Philippines, here I come.

After hundreds and hundreds of emails asking questions, getting answers, never a slip up of any kind on her part making me suspicious, I believe I found a good woman in her 40's who is willing to take care of me in my later years. happy, happy, happy.  :)

Stay in touch, I'll be there soon,

Wes

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

A lot of them in their 40's are looking for a good husband.  I got the impression from the 18 year olds that they just want to get put in the will of a 70 year old ha ha.  I had a few of them say I was too young for them - I was 48.

I accidentally found a 25 year old that I am very happy with!   :tiphat:

I talked for years about my move - either Cebu, Philippines or Chiang Mai, Thailand.  Ended up in the PI's but not Cebu.  My kids did not seem surprised by my sister is just now getting over the shock ha ha

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
I don't know if it will mean anything to my daughter anyway. It was unbelievable the things she was saying. You would think they ( kids, I'm 71 ) would be a little supportive. Just think, If I stay in the states eventually it would be them taking care of me and that would not be pretty.

Explain to your daughter that assisted living and skilled nursing care in the United States is now $6,000 to $10,000 a month. Medicare won't pay for custodial care. She should be ready to cough up the money once yours runs out. In the past, the strategy was to spend down all assets and then transfer the financial burden to Medicaid. States have sneaked in legislation making the grown-up children ultimately responsible for their parents. If you can't pay, the nursing home can go after your daughter. The equivalent cost in the Philippines is $1,500 to $3,500 or about the same as their retirement income.  

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted (edited)

My daughter is totally paranoid about my moving to Phils.

If you are moving here sight unseen then she has a right to be paranoid.  Fortunately it works out fine for a large percentage of the people who do it, but the horror stories from people who move here without visiting first are legendary.  It does happen that people get killed for their money but it is more common to find out the new 'wife' is holding back pertinent information which ends up costing you a small fortune.

Anyway, this is not meant to scare you off.  Its meant to suggest that you and other people open their eyes.  Come here and look.  Meet the girl and don't be blinded by love or lust.  Take a few months minimum -  living with or near her - before you decide marriage is for you.  Do you want to know what one of the main activities for the retirees here is?  Its sitting in the bar or coffee shop talking about the guys who came over without due diligence (although all thought they had) and got royally screwed.

That is great advice. I have been living here part-time when I am not working. Total time with the GF has probably been about 6 months during the last 18 months. Things are going great, but still have not reached that point where I want to put a ring on her finger. She is quite a level headed girl as well, so she is on the same page when it comes to how well you need to know each other for such a large committant. Just my 2 cents :).

Edited by Medic Mike
  • Like 1