Married With A "tourist Visa"

spiritualbeing
Posted
Posted

Hi there everyone,

I'm Shane a 58 year old Brit. I'm married to a filipina and have been living here since 2008 on a "tourist visa". I leave the country every 12-16 months and then start over again on the tourist visa. I know I can

get a 13a (due to marriage) or retirement visa (due to age). However none of these interest me, my  

question to the members is (preferably married members) is it possible to stay here in the Philippines

indefinately on a "tourist visa "EVEN THOUGH I'M MARRIED? I'm sure single people would have no problem doing this but can married people?  

:unsure:

Nico

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Hi there everyone,

I'm Shane a 58 year old Brit. I'm married to a filipina and have been living here since 2008 on a "tourist visa". I leave the country every 12-16 months and then start over again on the tourist visa. I know I can

get a 13a (due to marriage) or retirement visa (due to age). However none of these interest me, my  

question to the members is (preferably married members) is it possible to stay here in the Philippines

indefinately on a "tourist visa "EVEN THOUGH I'M MARRIED? I'm sure single people would have no problem doing this but can married people?  

:unsure:

Nico

I have an Australian friend who is a permanent FIFO worker, he has been doing it for over 10 years....almost knows the immigration officials by name now...lol.

• Like 3

spiritualbeing
Posted
Posted

Hi Mike, and he's married to a filipina yes?

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Hi Mike, and he's married to a filipina yes?

yes. been married for 9 years now, and has 2 kids.

• Like 1

spiritualbeing
Posted
Posted

Hi Mike thanks a lot, does he get extentions every 2 months up to the maximum allowed before he leaves and starts over again?

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Hi Mike thanks a lot, does he get extentions every 2 months up to the maximum allowed before he leaves and starts over again?

no, he has worked 3 weeks on and 3 weeks off for years. He just does the 21 day visa thing. I am in the same boat, but I am 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
I'm married to a filipina and have been living here since 2008 on a "tourist visa". I leave the country every 12-16 months and then start over again on the tourist visa.

If your spouse is a current or former Filipine citizen you can enter the country together and request a Balikbayan stamp. It's good for a year, absolutely free, and you never have to deal with BI as long as you leave again within a year. It's a privilege, not a right, but as long as your traveling together and have a valid marriage license you shouldn't have a problem. There's lots of information here about it.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I know I can get a 13a (due to marriage) or retirement visa (due to age). However none of these interest me
  ??  May I ask why?  One of the reasons I want to marry, is geting a better VISA  :)
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I have been living as married for 6 years and I do the tourist thing,  My neighbor is the same except he officially married her last year.  He is just now doing the 13a and he says its a pain and may be worth it long term but he would be happy, like me, to just keep doing the tourist thing.

At present you can do the tourist visa indefinitely by leaving and coming pack every once in a while.  BI is in a constant state of change.  Facts that were true 2 months ago are not true today so don't count on being able to do the tourist visa indefinitely.  

• Like 2

spiritualbeing
Posted
Posted

When I fill out the form for getting an extention I always check the "other" box and give being married as the reason

for wanting to extend. If I checked the "tourist " box as the reason for wanting the extention would that cause a

problem do you think, I wouldn't actually be lying as I do tour around ocassionally to see different parts of the

country.