Recreational Flying In And Around Angeles Philippines

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

I am currently teaching ESL classes at a local College here in Angeles, although it is a Filipino College that has several branches throughout the Philippines, both branches here in Angeles have on sight residential accommodation for Foreign Students.

This past Weekend on Saturday I took several of my Korean students to a local flying club that is based in Clark. It is one of only a few in the Philippines that has it's own runway, school, private hangers etc. They offer flight training if you wish to obtain an international pilots license, and I notice that it is a fraction of the cost that it would have cost me if I were to have done this in the UK or Canada.

They also offer recreational flights, which several of my students took over Mount Pinatubo, which was the volcano that erupted by in 1991 and prompted the US to vacate Clark Airforce base at the time.

If you are visiting up this way, you may wish to consider this as a great activity for the day.

They also have a new branch in Subic, to accommodate one of their new planes that was too big for the hangers they have here in Clark.

www.omniaviation.com  is their website, and has some great pics of Mount Pinatubo on their site.

I have also taken some students to a local Ultra/Micro light flying club owned and operated by local Expats. 

This is a great day out, and definitely an adrenaline rush for those not too old to remember these things!

The club offers lessons on flying Ultra/Micro light planes, and the costs are once again very affordable. Additionally they have two apartments that you can rent on a daily basis, along with a great swimming pool, nippa huts, and a very well maintained restaurant area above the offices, for some great viewing of the planes taking off and landing. The cost of the rooms is less than 900 pesos per night and the cost of the food is very reasonable, (less than the local restaurants here in Angeles).

Costs for flights is one of the reasons I went out there as they are very inexpensive.

When I took the students I also took my wife and daughter. We spent most of the day there, from 8am to about 4pm, enjoyed the pool and the food, so for me it was a very cheap day out for the family and I was able to provide some inexpensive entertainment for my students.

The website has some great YouTube videos, and pics of the pool area, rooms and restaurant, along with their prices etc.

www.angelesflying.com

So once again if you are up in this area, or live locally in Bagio or Subic and were unaware of these activities I hope you try them out, and let me know if you are up here. I will be glad to show you the way, and introduce you to the right people at both locations.

Enjoy!

It is more fun in the Philippines! (and less expensive as well)

Once I get the pics from the students I will post them on the forum. (I unfortunately did not take a camera, and also did not take any pics with my mobile! I am getting on in age!)

Papa Carl 

• Like 4

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Very cool. I have always loved flying in small planes. Longest small plane trip I ever took was from Missouri to Charleston, SC in a twin prop Cessna 310. So much nicer and convenient than flying commercial. I also had a chance to fly over the Missouri and Mississippi rivers at the peak of the great flood of 1993 in the midwest in a four passenger Mooney. Incredible to see the extent of that flood from the air.

I went to the website for www.omniaviation.com but could not find any information about their tourist charters. Any information on their rates for a tourist flight to Mt. Pinatubo?

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Wait, found it now, here is a link to the Mt. Pinatubo tour, 5,500php per person:

http://www.omniaviation.com/pinatubo-tour.html

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I had thought about taking lessons in the next few years, so thanks for the tips!  I knew someone had a flight school at Subic and it may have been the same outfit.  I have seen the Omni truck around town here.

My brother-in-law is a pilot and instructor, so I have been able to fly with him quite a few times, and I always thought I might give a try someday.

• Like 2

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Any idea how much it would cost to get your private pilots licence with these guys? I could not see any prices on their website.

• Like 1

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

Very cool. I have always loved flying in small planes. Longest small plane trip I ever took was from Missouri to Charleston, SC in a twin prop Cessna 310. So much nicer and convenient than flying commercial. I also had a chance to fly over the Missouri and Mississippi rivers at the peak of the great flood of 1993 in the midwest in a four passenger Mooney. Incredible to see the extent of that flood from the air.

I went to the website for www.omniaviation.com but could not find any information about their tourist charters. Any information on their rates for a tourist flight to Mt. Pinatubo?

Hi Earthdrome,

The Mount Pinatubo flights are about 1 hour, possibly a little more. If you are the only one then you sit up front with the pilot, (who will let you take the controls, even if you have never flown before) The cost once again if you are alone is 5,500 pesos. If there are 3 or more of you it is slightly less, but not as enjoyable, and not likely to be any more than the allotted time. Usually if you are alone with the pilot, they give you a little extra.

I will dig out one of the Flight Instructors/Pilots contact details for you and you can contact him directly and work something out with him.

Hope this helps.

Papa Carl

• Like 3

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

Any idea how much it would cost to get your private pilots licence with these guys? I could not see any prices on their website.

Hi Medic Mike, I will dig out the prices etc. tomorrow and PM them to you.

Papa Carl

• Like 2

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Hi Earthdrome,

The Mount Pinatubo flights are about 1 hour, possibly a little more. If you are the only one then you sit up front with the pilot, (who will let you take the controls, even if you have never flown before) The cost once again if you are alone is 5,500 pesos. If there are 3 or more of you it is slightly less, but not as enjoyable, and not likely to be any more than the allotted time. Usually if you are alone with the pilot, they give you a little extra.

I will dig out one of the Flight Instructors/Pilots contact details for you and you can contact him directly and work something out with him.

Hope this helps.

Papa Carl

Cheers for that. I have actually been looking into lessons in Cebu as well.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The trip around Mt. Pinatubo using a light aircraft looks interesting. My wife and I will give it a try during our next visit to the Philippines.

• Like 2

lyno 47
Posted
Posted

I have held a private pilots licence for many years but don't fly very much now here in aus  coz of the costs you just about have to take out a second mortgage on your house for a couple of hours flying time.Yes I know someone is going to say my flight instructors were Wilber and Orvil  Wright.But from what it seems like I may be able to get some hours up in Cebu at a reasonable cost. :thumbsup:

• Like 3