Jjr - George Dewey Hospital

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

JJR, I thought you might be interested to know that George Dewey medical center has road side posters all over town advertising them as the George Dewey Heart Center, or something like that.  I'll try to get a picture this week.

I was surprised that the new doc I saw this week mentioned them as possibly having a newer cardio test that until now you would have to go to Singapore or someplace else to get.  He was not positive about it but had heard that.

I don't have a heart problem (that I know of) but I suggested to the doc that maybe I should have a treadmill stress test.  He said they a moving away from them because other physical ailments often prohibit an accurate test result.  The newer tests (mentioned above) are resting tests so that the patient does not have to walk on the treadmill.  In any case, he said I don't need those unless other tests indicate a need.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

JJR, I thought you might be interested to know that George Dewey medical center has road side posters all over town advertising them as the George Dewey Heart Center, or something like that.  I'll try to get a picture this week.

I was surprised that the new doc I saw this week mentioned them as possibly having a newer cardio test that until now you would have to go to Singapore or someplace else to get.  He was not positive about it but had heard that.

I don't have a heart problem (that I know of) but I suggested to the doc that maybe I should have a treadmill stress test.  He said they a moving away from them because other physical ailments often prohibit an accurate test result.  The newer tests (mentioned above) are resting tests so that the patient does not have to walk on the treadmill.  In any case, he said I don't need those unless other tests indicate a need.

Both Gapotwo and I attended George Dewey HS back the 60's.  However, our real schooling was our hometown

of Olongapo where sights and smell taught us the proper facts of life.  This pimple face teenager was eyes wide

open learning the seedy part of town, which was all over....he, he.  

Thanks for the memories......

• Like 2

jon1
Posted
Posted

That is good to know. I also heard that George Dewey Hospital (not to be confused with GDHS, which used to be at the foot of Kalayaan hill) is affiliated with TriCare. I haven't had the time to confirm this. I went up there about 1 year ago just exploring and it appeared to be almost abandoned. You have to go all the way up to to the top of Cubi Point to get there. Nice little drive through the woods though.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

That is good to know. I also heard that George Dewey Hospital (not to be confused with GDHS, which used to be at the foot of Kalayaan hill) is affiliated with TriCare. I haven't had the time to confirm this. I went up there about 1 year ago just exploring and it appeared to be almost abandoned. You have to go all the way up to to the top of Cubi Point to get there. Nice little drive through the woods though.

I'm sorry Jon, I didn't realize that the George Dewey Hospital was located at Cubi Pt.  Is there another medical center

by another name at the location of my old high school?  

You know guys (Jon, OMW and Gapotwo), when you talk about my hometown of Olongapo, the more I get homesick.  

The recent post from OMW and Gapotwo about the super efficiency of the local BI office is more icing on the cake.  

And don't you dare talk about Grande Island, an island resort in the middle of Subic Bay.  I'd be creamin' my pants

right about now.  And then I get excellent field reports from Earthdome (Baguio) and Papa Carl (Angeles City).  

You guys are killing me!  Salamat Po -- Jake

Edited by Jake

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
location of my old high school

I don't know where George Dewey HS was.  Is it gone now?  Jon mentions the foot of Kalayaan hill and there is a big open space with what looks like a half built cement ruin there.  I only know of Olongapo City HS on Rizal Ave.

Jake
Posted
Posted

location of my old high school

I don't know where George Dewey HS was.  Is it gone now?  Jon mentions the foot of Kalayaan hill and there is a big open space with what looks like a half built cement ruin there.  I only know of Olongapo City HS on Rizal Ave.

If I'm reading Google Maps correctly, I believe GDHS was torn down where Subic Holiday Villas is now located.  

It's down the hill from you, on your left.  Please tell more about my old stomping grounds as a young boy and

then later, as a young and foolish sailor.  Just thinking about it gave me many fond memories of Chit River!

Formal coin diver -- Jake

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the information OnMyWay. When we toured the facility, Dante Ang mentioned about his plans of converting the former hospital into a Heart Center for Northern Luzon. Most surgical patients have to go to Manila to receive care. Dante also mentioned that their facility will be TriCare certified.

My involvement is with Dementia and Alzheimer's. One of the buildings will be renovated into a memory care facility. They will have 26 rooms completed by early 2014. Additional buildings will be renovated as needed. The Federation of Philippine American Chambers of Commerce is meeting in Los Angeles this November. Part of my presentation will include information about the memory care facility in Subic.

The gates are locked because there is a children's rescue center within the complex. An NGO from Ireland is caring for abandoned babies and children resulting from the prostitution industry in Angeles City. As the complex becomes busy, Dante plans to relocate the NGO and children to another location.

Expanding the PRA Courtesy visa to include military retirees is part of a government/private industry initiative to attract more retirees to the Philippines. There is a group constructing a continuing care retirement community at the former Clark Air Base. Another one is being constructed in Batangas. Both CCRCs target US military retirees. It has not been confirmed, but a third one might be built somewhere in Cebu. 

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm sorry Jon, I didn't realize that the George Dewey Hospital was located at Cubi Pt.  Is there another medical center

You know guys (Jon, OMW and Gapotwo), when you talk about my hometown of Olongapo, the more I get homesick.  

The recent post from OMW and Gapotwo about the super efficiency of the local BI office is more icing on the cake.  

And don't you dare talk about Grande Island, an island resort in the middle of Subic Bay.  I'd be creamin' my pants

right about now.  And then I get excellent field reports from Earthdome (Baguio) and Papa Carl (Angeles City).  

It is off to the left as you come down the hill. It is past the new place (Subic Holiday Villas) you mentioned.

Check out these links for more memories;

http://gdhs-admirals.ning.com/

http://bamboobugle.blogspot.com/2013/08/george-dewey-high-school-reunion.html

Plug these coordinates (14.83033,120.307374) into google maps. I believe this is your old alma mater.

Edited by jon1
  • Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

It is off to the left as you come down the hill. It is past the new place (Subic Holiday Villas) you mentioned.

Check out these links for more memories;

http://gdhs-admirals.ning.com/

http://bamboobugle.blogspot.com/2013/08/george-dewey-high-school-reunion.html

Plug these coordinates (14.83033,120.307374) into google maps. I believe this is your old alma mater.

Triple LIKE Jon!

jon1
Posted
Posted

Glad to oblige Jake.

I haven't made it out to Grande Island as I heard that it is a mere shadow of itself and that the service was lousy. 

I agree with Onmyway and others. I like the BI office there in Olongapo. I never have had an issue with anyone and they are always courteous.

Here are the google coordinates for the George Dewey Hospital 14.775961,120.308747

• Like 1