Jjr - George Dewey Hospital

jon1
Posted
Posted

Jake,

Here is an old map of the Subic Naval base that I found. It is interesting as it provides you a reference for places that gives you an idea of what some of the places were before. I was never stationed or visited Subic prior to me moving there in 2011.

Regards,

Jonpost-3196-0-89483500-1376844171_thumb.jp

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Jake, I couldn't resist and I drove by your old high school this afternoon!

I had been by there once before but I didn't recognize it as a school at the time.  Now I see that it was very similar to my old 60's style high school in California:  Single story buildings with covered walkways between the buildings.

The front part is very nicely refurbished and occupied by a company called Absolute Services Inc., some kind of U.S. book publishing company.   There are some overgrown walkways leading to areas that may have been more buildings, and in the far back there is a large building that looking like it might be a gymnasium.  From a distance It looks like it is fairly good shape so maybe it is still used.

There is a old bathroom building off to the side and I noticed that it had some old writing on the wall "For a good time, call Jake -555-1212".   :hystery:

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

Jake, I couldn't resist and I drove by your old high school this afternoon!

I had been by there once before but I didn't recognize it as a school at the time.  Now I see that it was very similar to my old 60's style high school in California:  Single story buildings with covered walkways between the buildings.

The front part is very nicely refurbished and occupied by a company called Absolute Services Inc., some kind of U.S. book publishing company.   There are some overgrown walkways leading to areas that may have been more buildings, and in the far back there is a large building that looking like it might be a gymnasium.  From a distance It looks like it is fairly good shape so maybe it is still used.

There is a old bathroom building off to the side and I noticed that it had some old writing on the wall "For a good time, call Jake -555-1212".   :hystery:

Damn you OMW!  You owe me a new keyboard for spilling my first coffee.  Thank you so much for taking your

time and effort to give me a good laugh this morning.  More importantly, thank you for revealing that Gapotwo

was the one who wrote that graffiti about me.  I was there 1964-1966, my 10th and 11th grade.  

Good times rollin'......  

• 5 months later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

JJR, I thought you might be interested to know that George Dewey medical center has road side posters all over town advertising them as the George Dewey Heart Center, or something like that.  I'll try to get a picture this week.

I was surprised that the new doc I saw this week mentioned them as possibly having a newer cardio test that until now you would have to go to Singapore or someplace else to get.  He was not positive about it but had heard that.

I don't have a heart problem (that I know of) but I suggested to the doc that maybe I should have a treadmill stress test.  He said they a moving away from them because other physical ailments often prohibit an accurate test result.  The newer tests (mentioned above) are resting tests so that the patient does not have to walk on the treadmill.  In any case, he said I don't need those unless other tests indicate a need.

JJR, I saw that you are back home and I hope you are feeling better.

An strange update on George Dewey.  There are new posters around town about a new school starting at that location, Kindergarten to High School.  I will find out more but I would think that would be a struggle as the location is very remote.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

My wife and I went to Subic for a brief visit to the Dewey Medical & Wellness Center. We couldn't linger because of a dinner invitation back in Manila. The administrator gave us a tour of the facilities. 

The hospital has been renamed, "Subic Heart Center." They have performed several surgeries. The first open heart is scheduled this April. The facility is fully functional including the 24 hours emergency room, but no patients yet.

We were shown several buildings that the owner wants to convert into elementary to high school. Actually, there is an orphanage and children's shelter within the 12 hectares complex. They are for abandoned babies from Olongapo and Angeles City supported by the Irish government and private Irish charities. I suppose the first intake are now ready for elementary. The advertising is to increase the student population. It begins with First Grade and another grade level is added every year. The children probably speak Irish English. I saw several young Irish girls as we passed the buildings. Probably volunteer staff.

They also have a nursing school with about 30 students. The target is to increase it to 100 students. I was more interested in visiting the building set aside for Alzheimer's care. We hope to accommodate 90 residents in private and shared rooms.

The original plan of spending a couple of nights in Subic went kaput. We have a prospective buyer for the family farm. I had to remain in Manila for last minute meetings including with family members.

I will post pictures from Dewey Medical and Wellness Center later.

• 3 weeks later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Here is a picture of the new school sign they have posted all over town.  They will be competing with the American International School in Cubi, opened last year.  AIS offered a lot of promos last school year to get students in, but if students have to pay full price this year, some might leave.  AIS full price is over 10k USD a year.  Brent is around 14k USD a year, I think.  Most of the kids at those schools probably have parents with expat contracts covering schooling for the kids, so the company pays.  That kind of money is not in my budget so our daughter goes to First School for about 1k USD a year.

post-1784-0-68605300-1394344529_thumb.jp