Different Prices On Return Tickets From Diferent Directions??

Thomas
Posted
Posted

(Put under corect section?)

When I tried to check flight ticket prices on return tickets to figuere out if buying a

/Return ticket from Europe every time

/or one turn ticket to RP and then Return tickets each time from there

then I noticed a HUGE* price difference depending of if the Return tickets starts in Europe or in SouthEast Asia, when I looked at a flight ticket comparing website.

* 6500 SEK instead of 3700 !!!  The higher if starting from South East Asia.

Is it REALY like that, or do it just depend of the flight comparing website is European, so it don't bother to check the Asian travel agents? 

I checked both the same and different dates, the cheapest that website show for whole months, so the difference CAN'T depend of that.

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Welcome to Philippine math. I have always found it cheaper to buy a round trip ticket than 2 one way tickets. If you do not know when you will return, but will return in 2-3 months, buy a ticket with the last day available return date and then pay the reschedule fee if you want to return before then. Way cheaper.  

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Get your prices for the return portion from an Asian site based in a country that has a good exchange... Such as the Philippines. Sometimes the ticket price will be lower/discounted this way. And sometimes the price in our home countries will be higher because they can.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Welcome to Philippine math. I have always found it cheaper to buy a round trip ticket than 2 one way tickets. If you do not know when you will return, but will return in 2-3 months, buy a ticket with the last day available return date and then pay the reschedule fee if you want to return before then. Way cheaper.  

"Of course" it's cheaper to buy one round trip than 2 one way tickets, that's why I DIDN'T compare that   :)  but 2 round trip tickets in opposite directions.

And I didn't compare RP   :)

I DID compare

Stockholm - HongKong - Stockholm

with HongKong - Stockholm - HongKong.

(I compared that route, because that flight ticket comparing website is bad at including the Philippine airline companies in the comparings so I check that separate,

and lagguage max weights complicate things, I can go with almost no lagguage to Sweden, but want "max" to RP, so I can't go with Cebu Pacific to but from RP.)

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Get your prices for the return portion from an Asian site based in a country that has a good exchange... Such as the Philippines. Sometimes the ticket price will be lower/discounted this way. And sometimes the price in our home countries will be higher because they can.

I have checked some other European websites, who compare a lot of airline companies and travel agencies, but momondo has allways found lower than them, it show whole months, not only a specific day, so I have skiped checking the others.

Do you know any such Asian comparing website?

Bruce
Posted
Posted
, but want "max" to RP, so I can't go with Cebu Pacific to but from RP.)

So plan ahead and ship a few balikbyan boxes of your stuff to the Philippines before you go. Either ship to a friend, or if going to a big hotel, ship there with them securing the boxes until you arrive, or ask the shipping company to hold the boxes in their warehouse until you arrive. 

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Hmmmmmmmmm. We had 2 returns Manila/Toronto for August 18 with PAL cost $3,400 then when our daughter got dengue we had to change the returns to July 5 at a cost of $2,400 with PAL. Our Cebu return flights were not changeable so we lost them plus my onward to KK expired so I lost it too.

Not a good idea to reschedule. Plan the work and work the plan.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

, but want "max" to RP, so I can't go with Cebu Pacific to but from RP.)

So plan ahead and ship a few balikbyan boxes of your stuff to the Philippines before you go. Either ship to a friend, or if going to a big hotel, ship there with them securing the boxes until you arrive, or ask the shipping company to hold the boxes in their warehouse until you arrive. 

I plan ahead much better than that, that's why I noticed this difference and started this topic  :lol:    

(I plan to solve the transports BOTH by

bring full loads each travel to RP

BB boxes

and sorting allready different steps after when things will be needed  (=First, BB 1, Next, BB2* (Next 2) , future, perhaps future. *BB2 is after I have built house.)

If you do not know when you will return, but will return in 2-3 months, buy a ticket with the last day available return date and then pay the reschedule fee if you want to return before then. Way cheaper.
Well. It's cheaper than if having to throw away a not rescheduleable ticket,

BUT tickets, which can be rescheduled, cost more to start with...  :)

When I have moved to RP, it will be longer than 2-3 months before I will go to Sweden, the plan is once per year, that's why I started checking if it would be any difference if I order the round trip tickets from RP side instead, because easier to know 1 month ahead than 11  :)

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Hmmmmmmmmm. We had 2 returns Manila/Toronto for August 18 with PAL cost $3,400 then when our daughter got dengue we had to change the returns to July 5 at a cost of $2,400 with PAL. Our Cebu return flights were not changeable so we lost them plus my onward to KK expired so I lost it too.

Not a good idea to reschedule. Plan the work and work the plan.

Depends on how you book the original tickets. If you use the PAL Fiesta Saver, then you can not rebook. But the next step up allows rebooking at a fee.

I fly from Miami to LA (AA at about $160) then on PAL round trip to Manila at a cost of about $1100) Then back from LAX to Ft. Lauderdale at about $160 on Spirit.

With the cost of the PAL round trip at about $1100 and then to compare the 1 way cost at about $900, (PLUS a throw away ticket cost) it has worked out well so far with the round trip tickets.

Thomas
Posted
Posted
With the cost of the PAL round trip at about $1100 and then to compare the 1 way cost at about $900, (PLUS a throw away ticket cost) it has worked out well so far with the round trip tickets.
Well. Not odd it function in YOUR situation  (=Shorter in RP) so you donät need to switch start position for the round trip,

but I asked, because IF I would scedule a round trip starting in Europe after I have moved to RO, then I would need to know the situation at least a year ahead.  Not so easy when I plan to get some kids, not so easy to scedule when  they will arrive  :lol: That's why I prefer if I can get round trips for a similar cost starting in RP instead, because then it can be enough to know just 2 months ahead, when I decide the tickets.