Seeking Info On Bacolod

Dr. Akos
Posted
Posted

Hello and thanks for the introduction,

A little about myself;

I'm married to a Filipina that I met in the Philippines in 2007, she comes from Mindanao in the city of Cagayan De Oro and this is the extent and knowledge of this wonderful new country we have decided to retire in. I have had the opportunity to visit twice since I first met my now lovely wife. I am recently retired and still live in U.S. and will be moving to the PHL soon. We're currently in the process of liquidating most of our larger items and preparing our home for rent. Our goal is simple, we plan to live in Bacolod and have been looking online for a home to rent for the first year we're there. I have been in Real Estate for the past 30+ years, and think it's smart to rent for a short time prior to building/buying a home, thus allowing us time to explore different areas of Bacolod. I think we have found a home to rent in a subdivision called Greenville in Bacolod... if anyone knows about this subdivision any information would be useful. We plan on being there by the end of November and have our first Christmas in the PHL. Her family is not aware of our decision to move back, and they are in Mindanao so hopefully we won't have the hand out problem, this was actually her idea since she knows the problems it can cause. Looking forward to meeting new friends online on this forum.

Tom & Joyce

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum - and it sounds like you got the right idea.

I have only been to Bacolod once for a vacation so I can not be of any real help about the area.  But renting is the way to go at first, you got that right. I would just say that you will find a LOT more options once you get over here and look around.  Most businesses do not have the web presence we are used to in the west.  A majority of the online real estate I have seen is aimed at foreigners and thus charge kano prices. 

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

I think you hit the nail on the head, rent. I would come and stay in a hotel for 2 weeks to a month while I was house hunting in person. The good advice I have heard is to visit the prospective rental at all hours weekdays and weekend to check for party neighbors and barking dogs, possibly blind roosters that crow in the middle of the night, that sort of thing. I'm suffering from hearing loss and tinnitus so noise doesn't bother me much but it can drive other people crazy. It would also be nice to see how an area drains during the rainy season. Little things like that. Welcome to the forum.

brock
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum Tom & Joyce  :cheersty:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

We have a couple of members from Bacolod who might have an idea of where you are talking about. Bacolod seems to be getting popular with expats for some reason.  

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

Greenville is a subdiv located in the East side off Libertad Extention between Brgy Taculing & Mansiligan.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

subdivision called Greenville in Bacolod... if anyone knows about this subdivision any information would be useful.

Although we live here in Bacolod I'm not familiar with Greenville .... as you have spent 30 years in real estate you know that what might be fine for me would not necessarily be what you want .... only you guys can tell if the area is to your liking so best to visit it yourself .... from what I can see on the map there are 2 Greenville Subdivisions 1 & 3 (don't know what happened to 2)

post-11-0-65264400-1377395447_thumb.jpgpost-11-0-43893500-1377395485_thumb.jpgpost-11-0-47064800-1377395524_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

post-686-0-05436500-1377438149_thumb.jpg

Hello Tom and Joyce,

The above advertisement is authorized to be displayed on our forum.  His name is Geoff and his lovely wife Anilou.

I have not met him yet, but he would definitely be my go to guy when looking for rentals or ownership possibilities.

Good luck to you sir!  Respectfully -- Jake

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I just talked to my asawa about Greenville and she said it was ONE of the areas we looked at last November when we were first looking at moving here ..... personally we were not to impressed with the area .... but that was us ..... it maybe to your liking .... :tiphat:

:cheersty:

• Like 1

Dr. Akos
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum - and it sounds like you got the right idea.

I have only been to Bacolod once for a vacation so I can not be of any real help about the area.  But renting is the way to go at first, you got that right. I would just say that you will find a LOT more options once you get over here and look around.  Most businesses do not have the web presence we are used to in the west.  A majority of the online real estate I have seen is aimed at foreigners and thus charge kano prices.

Thanks for the advice Tuka... I enjoyed watching your video of your home. We are planning to stay at a hotel when we first get there and then take some time to look around to find something that fits our budget. We find it difficult to try to communicate with property owners that advertise for rent, and I don't want to rent something sight unseen... no matter how good it sounds. Take care and enjoy the phil, we'll be there soon.

Tom & Joyce