How To Make A Budget For Living In Ph

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Hell if I had $3,500 a month I'd retire in the US ha ha  (I never made that much in my life yet still, as a single dad, owned a house in Texas and a vacation condo in Orlando)   :tiphat:

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The $3,500 is Malaysia's policy. They attract lots of Japanese seniors. Mostly couples. Their strategy is to increase employment and foreign exchange. Panama is advertising that $1,000 is sufficient if you retire in their country. Belize is promoting themselves to the jet setters. Their ads feature luxury homes in resort settings. Philippine wants US military retirees and Fil-Ams.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

So let's see...

The USA is a 1st World Country - the Philippines is a 3rd World Country

People live on $xxx a month in the US but need more than this to retire in the Philippines?   

It's all relative to what you are used to living on and what you have available.  That is why I asked people not to start the "how much I need" argument.  It has nothing to do with what Joe Kano has available to live on and what he can do with that money because the argument doesn't mention Joe Kano - it only talks about our own personal spending habits.

• Like 4

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

You can live in the Philippine on a survival mode budget, but most of those who move have minimum expectations. I know an American who is comfortable eating food from a push cart vendor selling meals to trike and taxi drivers on a backstreet. I can't do it. Budget hotels are okay so long as the bed and sheets are clean. She thinks it's funny, but there is a European woman living in a slum area near Makati who reaches inside the door to turn on the lights. She waits 20 seconds to give the cockroaches a chance to hide before entering the room. 

I think the best way to reply to this topic is to look at your current budget, reduce it by 20% and you can have an equivalent lifestyle in the Philippines. If you reduce by 50%, there are a few assumed luxuries that you will have to give up. More than that, stay at home unless you are willing to make dramatic lifestyle changes.

• Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted

Another thing to consider, even if you have a large enough budget to live in an expensive, comfortable house you still have to look at the filth and squalor that's all around you when you carry out everyday tasks.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
Another thing to consider, even if you have a large enough budget to live in an expensive, comfortable house you still have to look at the filth and squalor that's all around you when you carry out everyday tasks.

How true. They market this super luxurious high rise condominium and the surroundings are slums. The minute you step outside, there are beggars waiting. The stench is horrid. I guess you get used to it.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

JJR, I agree wholeheartedly with taking 20% off what a person has now. And many can take away 30% and not even notice any difference. Most people could not live on 50% less but that's the joy of moving to a new country in a tropical climate - it's called starting anew and having a new life! If a person can possibly live on 50% less, this is where they will learn how to do so!

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

How true. They market this super luxurious high rise condominium and the surroundings are slums. The minute you step outside, there are beggars waiting. The stench is horrid. I guess you get used to it.

And that is why I never want to live on a high-rise!

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

JJR, I agree wholeheartedly with taking 20% off what a person has now. And many can take away 30% and not even notice any difference. Most people could not live on 50% less but that's the joy of moving to a new country in a tropical climate - it's called starting anew and having a new life! If a person can possibly live on 50% less, this is where they will learn how to do so!

I agree Bob! :thumbsup:

Some folks making the move could chose to dramatically downsize to a simple lifestyle that is still enjoyable. Many of us in the West have so much stuff if we could chose just those things we truly require and let the rest go perhaps life would be more enjoyable.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted (edited)

I just noticed you asked for numbers... well budget is something no one can agree on.  What is right for one is hell for others.  I can give you my numbers but I live on $800 a month.  A lifestyle I enjoy but would not recommend.  Do a search on living cost and you see others have very different costs!

These numbers may be mostly useless to you depending on your lifestyle...

Rent  - p3,000 (17K out of Iloilo in a bamboo house)

Renters insurance - no idea.  I called an agent but they called me back.. I need to get on that...

Credit Card payments - zero, I use cash only. or pay for travel on card and pay it immediately.

Utilities: Electricity, water, garbage removal. -  We burn trash, water is out of the well and undrinkable so p60 for 3 five gal jugs twice month (we spend extra to have it picked up and delivered).  p2,500 Electricity (no aircon).

Cell phone and house phone - Home Phone Magic Jack $60 for 5 years for free calls back to the US. p500 a month on phone loads for 2 people (unlimited facebook, no internet, minimal text).

Internet and television - About p1,200 each but I plan on cancelling Satellite and use Netflx only.

Health insurance and medical co-pays - p450 a quarter for PhilHealth. $75 a year for DAN (divers insurance, with non diving accident coverage, life insurance, and trip protection)

Pharmacy - p200 maybe?  We buy very little.

Food out and Food at home - p4,500 out, p7,000 groceries, p1,000 wet market

Car, car insurance, gasoline, and repairs - p1,400 jeepney.  I would not drive here

Visa and other costs to stay in the country - only been here 6 months, 4 extensions cost p12,920

Christmas presents,  clothing, Furniture, electonics, etc. - Spent about p70,000 ($1,600 USD) to outfit an entire house, all furniture and appliances.  I brought tons of clothes with me and they don't have my size here anyway. I don't celebrate christmas but my girlfriend does so we shall see in December ha ha

:tiphat:

~Edit~  BTW i live on about 1/3 of what I did back home but like I said I would not recommend it ($800 instead of $2,900)    :)

Edited by Tuka Ram
  • Like 2