Real Cheese

Curley
Posted
Posted (edited)

I've often heard people complaining of either the lack of decent cheese or the exorbitant price. With so many of you retired why not make your own? You can use shop bought pasteurised milk but I would rather use fresh milk. There are some videos on you tube as well as various forums and blogs. Here is a sample.

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/Fankhauser/Cheese/Cheese_course/Cheese_course.htm

Countrylife has replaced the "Lactobacillus Board," once the most active of cheese making discussion boards.  You must become a member to post, but can read the messages without becoming a member. It is the most active board on cheesemaking that I know of at the moment, but has yet to achieve the level of the old Lactobacillus Board.  Fiasco Farm Site has a couple of recipes you might want to check out. (Ops... Someone should tell them that goats do not have upper incisor teeth as shown in their logo...)  Homesteading Today is another site that is concerned with a variety of homesteading skills including dairy and cheesemaking.  Nikolce's Cheese page A cheese page by Nikolovski Nikolce, a Macedonian friend of mine.   He offers "the basics of the cheesemaking, starter cultures, free cheese recipes, new trends in the dairy industry, practical advices and an introduction in food safety."  DOM's Kefir Page Dominic N. Anfiteatro displays his passion and depth of knowledge about all things kefir on this self-published page. We met him years ago on the old Lactobacillus Board. If you have questions about kefir--he is your man. Kenya Handbook on making cheese This interesting site reproduces a pamphlet for small milk producers in developing countries.  It has a good introduction to cheese making, and contains recipes for "Pasta Filata" (a mozzarella-like cheese), Feta, and "Alpine Farmhouse" cheese (a Swiss-type cheese). WildFermentation Interested in fermentation and other uses you might make of it at home?  Check out "Wild Fermentation" for an interesting perspective on a variety of fermentation-related topics.  smalldairy.com Established in 1998 to assist small commercial dairies in finding information about on-farm and artisan processing, this site now also serves homesteaders, suburban kitchen cheesemakers and food-lovers seeking sources of wholesome dairy foods and the tools to produce them. DEFUNCT? These used to be interesting sites. If you have new info on them,, let me know. Artisan Cheesemakers-L contains a couple recipes for making cheese, and tells how to sign up for membership in an email-based discussion group, if you like to do your discussing via email. (URL did not work for me the last time I tried it... Is it ALSO defunct? Rumor is that it went totally to an email format. Anyone know? Julia F??? You out there?)   Here is an email from Barbara Harick updating several links . New Zealand Home Dairy site This is a new site (2005) in New Zealand for home milkers and makers of cheese, butter, yogurt, ice cream ... and anything dairy. They also sell some basic cheesmaking supplies

Edited by Curley
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

What a great idea Curley!

Cheese making is an ancient activity one would think with some experimenting a healthy tasty product could be made on a small scale in Philippines.

Goat milk is common all over Philippines, maybe that could be a good source?

Curley
Posted
Posted

What a great idea Curley!

Cheese making is an ancient activity one would think with some experimenting a healthy tasty product could be made on a small scale in Philippines.

Goat milk is common all over Philippines, maybe that could be a good source?

I used to make goats cheese, the fresh cheese a couple of days old has a very delicate taste but if you keep it by covering the outside in olive oil and pepper/chilli pepper it goes hard and tastes much stronger. I love it.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

That sounds delicious. :cheersty:

Curley
Posted
Posted (edited)

It is delicious and cheap to make, I have just been to see my beautiful girl that sells me some goats cheese every week, she always greets me with a big smile and her beautiful brown eyes light up her face, so I thought I would take her a little present and tell her that this would be the last time I saw her, she rushed around the counter to give me a big hug and two kisses........ it really made my day and I saw her later showing off her present to the other stall holders. When I got home I found that she had slipped an extra chunk of mature cheese into my bag. Bless her.

Here's a photo of the two cheeses, the one on the right will be only 3 or 4 days old while the one on the left starts off exactly the same but is matured for 2, 3 or more months. Not a very good photo,too much flash, but you can see the texture in the reflection from the dark glass that it sits on.

Goats cheese

Edited by Curley
  • Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

The only thing I have made is curds, as in curds & whey.  I've done a lot of Indian cooking and we use fried curds a lot.  But it seems all the milk around here is in a box or is powder ha ha  They just don't seem to do much dairy here.

Curley
Posted
Posted

The only thing I have made is curds, as in curds & whey.  I've done a lot of Indian cooking and we use fried curds a lot.  But it seems all the milk around here is in a box or is powder ha ha  They just don't seem to do much dairy here.

I'm sure if you asked you could find out where you can buy fresh milk, goats, cows,sheep or whatever, unless you live in the middle of a city and no relations in the provinces.

Curley
Posted
Posted

Can anyone tell me the price of fresh milk? Perhaps you should post in price per litre as the US gallon is different to the UK gallon

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Yes, I have thought of the Cheese problem, and making cheese (and Swedish version of youghurt) but that's hard if not finding useable milk  :)

They just don't seem to do much dairy here.
Yes that's a problem. I tried to use dried milk for cooking, but I will not do that again, because the result was crap :mocking:

I don't know the milk price, but it's a diary in the mountains some south of Cebu city. In Banili (?)   But that's some far to buy milk  :)

i am bob
Posted
Posted

It is delicious and cheap to make, I have just been to see my beautiful girl that sells me some goats cheese every week, she always greets me with a big smile and her beautiful brown eyes light up her face, so I thought I would take her a little present and tell her that this would be the last time I saw her, she rushed around the counter to give me a big hug and two kisses........ it really made my day and I saw her later showing off her present to the other stall holders. When I got home I found that she had slipped an extra chunk of mature cheese into my bag. Bless her.

Here's a photo of the two cheeses, the one on the right will be only 3 or 4 days old while the one on the left starts off exactly the same but is matured for 2, 3 or more months. Not a very good photo,too much flash, but you can see the texture in the reflection from the dark glass that it sits on.

Are you sure you need to move to find your special someone? Sound like you may have one who would like to hear your "cheesy" lines...

:)