American Arrested-Bragging Carrying A Gun

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
There you go again with your generalisations. Why not tell everyone to stay out of Mindanao, since the whole island is reckoned by your State Department to be unsafe - or better yet, stay out of the country.

I agree that you can't use one or two random incidents to conclude that an area is not safe. The incidents are oftentimes sensationalized by the media and on a statistical basis have no relevance. When there is an airplane, some people stop flying. I take the opposite viewpoint. The safety inspection will redouble because of the accident, thus making air travel safer. There is a greater chance to get injured or killed in a car wreck, but there are so many that the media won't report it. The exception is something horrible like a school bus crash that kills a large number of students. 

I never once felt threatened during my visit to Mindanao last April. What surprised me was the lack of armed military personnel and even armed police officers. The police had sidearms, but my expectation was everyone would also be carrying automatic rifles. In reality, it felt much safer than Metro Manila. Yes, there are areas in Mindanao I won't visit. All you need is to ask someone who is knowledgeable about the local situation and not rely on media reports. 

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 3

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Mindanao pretty much has its own rules. We do not know the full details of the reasons why this guy was arrested. As has been mentioned in other topics, it comes down to who you know and are friendly with. Act like an ass and you will eventually get what is coming to you and more. Rules of law in an industrialized society are not necessarily recognized in Mindanao.

• Like 3

jon1
Posted
Posted

SIndangan is about an hour south of Dipolog. I agree that Zamboanga del Norte is not as dangerous. People here "Zamboanga" and assume the worst. Other than the very southern end near Liloy and further south, del Norte is fairly safe.

I agree with joe, carrying concealed and bragging about = STUPID. He deserves to whatever he gets. I am sure that the alcohol had nothing to do with it. Nor after drinking a few, how effective would he have been with it if he truly needed it (which drinking with people you don't know is probably a very real possibility).

Some people think that it is cool to live where others won't and have to constantly live with their head on a swivel. I did it out of necessity at the time and when I was done, moved elsewhere. The countryside is beautiful and if I wasn't setup already I would consider Dipolog.

• Like 4

FredM
Posted
Posted

This is very much like teenagers going out carrying a knife. They generally don't have the intention of stabbing someone but like to feel big and tough. How many times have we heard the plea "I didn't mean to stab him I just had the knife for protection." If you must carry a deadly weapon be prepared to accept the consequences. Wherever you are in the world makes no difference.

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Bragging Carrying A Gun
Officials said policemen arrested Jeffrey Roy Bradley, 57, while drinking with his Filipino friends
Newspapers write wrong as often. Corect is

"Jeffrey Roy Bragley"    :)

Markham
Posted
Posted

However, for those of us thinking of vacationing in, or moving to, the Philippines :dance: , WE HAVE MORE OF A CHOICE! There are ample published reports and travel advisories for us to stay OUT of southern Mindanao. Really. You do internet dating? Great... simply set the filters to not meet anyone from Mindanao. There is nothing in southern Mindanao that you can not find in a northern province. Except maybe crocs.

There you go again with your generalisations. Why not tell everyone to stay out of Mindanao, since the whole island is reckoned by your State Department to be unsafe - or better yet, stay out of the country.

:wt-hell:

I understand you have fond memories of your past 30 years living in a non Christian country.

Huh? The UK is not a Christian country? News to me.

The news article that was posted in the OP was about a foreigner carrying a gun. While drinking and bragging about his gun may not have been a smart move, he was not seen waving it around or acting foolish. In reality, he may have been simply telling his drinking friends that he was prepared IF he was to be the potential victim of a kidnapping.

I've noticed that certain foreigners rather arrogantly assume that because the American Constitution gives them the right to bear arms, that this provision applies wherever they happen to be in the world.

Anyone can read or hear about the Philippines and MIILF and Abu Sayef and other groups and the kidnappings of foreigners. That and that alone is a warning to stay out of the Philippines.  But 'we' know that while true, it is more of an issue focused on Mindanao and NOT the entire Philippines. So in the point of pushing the Philippines as a travel or retirement destination, I try to acknowledge the issues and concerns that foreigners may have and at the same time, while not down playing that part, I try to direct foreigners to the many other parts of the Philippines that do not have the issues of Mindanao.

You're far more likely to get pick-pocketed, mugged or car-napped in the NCR than you are on most of Mindanao and that's a fact.

Have you ever been to Mindanao - to Davao or Cagayan de Oro or Surigao in the north? Or do you simply go by what Mr Google tells you?

I agree that you can't use one or two random incidents to conclude that an area is not safe. The incidents are oftentimes sensationalized by the media and on a statistical basis have no relevance. When there is an airplane, some people stop flying. I take the opposite viewpoint. The safety inspection will redouble because of the accident, thus making air travel safer. There is a greater chance to get injured or killed in a car wreck, but there are so many that the media won't report it. The exception is something horrible like a school bus crash that kills a large number of students. 

I never once felt threatened during my visit to Mindanao last April. What surprised me was the lack of armed military personnel and even armed police officers. The police had sidearms, but my expectation was everyone would also be carrying automatic rifles. In reality, it felt much safer than Metro Manila. Yes, there are areas in Mindanao I won't visit. All you need is to ask someone who is knowledgeable about the local situation and not rely on media reports.

Exactly, JJ, thank you!
  • Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted (edited)
Huh? The UK is not a Christian country? News to me.

Maybe I am confused. It is possible.... :hystery: But I thought you had made mention of about 30 years traveling in Indonesia. That was my point, not your birth country.  

I've noticed that certain foreigners rather arrogantly assume that because the American Constitution gives them the right to bear arms, that this provision applies wherever they happen to be in the world.

Actually it goes deeper than that. If America was not what is WAS (sadly, past tense) then we all, including the UK would be speaking German.....

You're far more likely to get pick-pocketed, mugged or car-napped in the NCR than you are on most of Mindanao and that's a fact.

Comparing apples to mangos. The petty crimes in Manila (as in all our home countries) are brief and limited in scope. A kidnapping on Zamboanga / Mindanao is a lengthy affair, often lasting 1-3 years and will cost your family and friends over $100.000 ++

Have you ever been to Mindanao - to Davao or Cagayan de Oro or Surigao in the north? Or do you simply go by what Mr Google tells you?

Nope. I am a quick learner. Really. If I see some one stick their hand into a bush and a thousand wasp(ers) come out attacking. I am not sticking my hand in that bush!. Now, yes I am a Kano, and yes we are an arrogant bunch when it comes to self defense and protecting others. So while I might not stick my hand in that bush, I very well might pay a local pedicab driver to go to the Petron station and buy 100p of diesel fuel and then I will set fire to that bush! (Americans and our civic duty thinking) 

The OP was about an American drinking with friend and a local overhearing about him carrying a gun. Sad but true. No information as to him acting badly or pushing people around with his gun. He is in Zamboanga, he is a foreigner and I am positive he is certainly not the only foreigner with a gun. Legal or not.

The point of the story is what is missing. And that is any information about him acting like an ass. If the article included him being drunk or threatening people with his gun, then our posts would revolve around that stupid American (I agree) acting badly.

It is my opinion, not knowing the American at all, that if YOU were also in Mindanao and that American saw YOU being kidnapped, he is more likely to help you with his gun than a local is to help you with their gun.

Exactly, JJ, thank you!

The main difference between JJ and myself is that JJ provides fact based information on a wide range of topics. While I provide trivia based information on a wide range of topics. (Of course he is better looking and has a lot more class than I do :541: )  

In reading the above replies on Zamboanga.... different members have voiced an opinion on THEIR views of where you can go and where you should not go, on Mindanao / Zamboanga. All agree there are NO GO areas. But here is the big point many are missing.  

Go back 30 years. Was there a NO GO area then? Back 20 years? Back 10 years? OK... now look ahead. Where will Zamboanga / Mindanao be in 10 years? 20 years? In 30 years? I doubt that NO GO line will move to the south. I see it as moving far north. Just how far is not important....

So, back to my main push to get fence sitters off their butts and out of those chairs and to MAKE the decision to visit Phils.... The Philippines is a GREAT place for a vacation and a great choice for many looking to retire. Simple personal safety rules are pointing to a destination to other areas than Mindanao. Plain and Simple. Especially if you are retiring there. Unless you want to sell at a possible loss and relocate 10-20 years from now..... Invest in YOUR future and as I see it, your future as well as mine is NOT on Mindanao!

Disclaimer!  To any new members...... all warnings aside. The Philippines is a great place. YOU are just as likely to be a victim of crime in your home country if you go where you know you do not belong. The majority of the Philippines is safe. The majority of people there are great people. If you insist on going to Mindanao (southern end) there are forum members who live there and can help you make decisions on your travel plans. In any event... make the decision to visit the Philippines! :thumbsup:  

Just remember that if you get a gun... no drinking and talking about it... please!

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 1

FredM
Posted
Posted
Actually it goes deeper than that. If America was not what is WAS (sadly, past tense) then we all, including the UK would be speaking German.....

It certainly appears that America desperate to make up for being late for the last couple of world wars are determined to kick off the next one!!

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

It certainly appears that America desperate to make up for being late for the last couple of world wars are determined to kick off the next one!!

Sorry you feel that way, I guess the US should have stayed out WW2 altogether in Europe. :)