Globe Internet And The Terms Of Use.

dalidali
Posted
Posted

So I got me one of those "stick" type internet connection dobobs (forgot the proper name)

It plugs into a USB port and "dials" a number and I can connect to the internet.

It's month to month and I am on my second month now.

Globe says I get 3G speeds....ok fine. It's super slow most of the time and I have to disconnect and then reconnect often due to dead signals or whatever.

Then I get this "text" message on the connection interface saying I am using too much bandwidth and that is a violation of the terms of use.

They then went on to say I would be "throttled" down to 2G speeds which is the current situation.

I can't really see a difference......it's still deadly slow and disconnects.

The connection is "on" most of the time as I am in and out of internet pages often.

Did I screw up by leaving the connection on? Does that suck up bandwidth?

Thomas
Posted
Posted (edited)
Did I screw up by leaving the connection on? Does that suck up bandwidth?

Yes, some. Some pages updates automaticly and often.

Edited by Thomas

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

They say they limit the bandwidth because some people hog it up by downloading too much, and it hurts other peoples speed.  So it is our fault for using the service we pay for... and they can't be expected to provide good service.  Yes, I had this discussion with them already ha ha   :tiphat:

dalidali
Posted
Posted

They say they limit the bandwidth because some people hog it up by downloading too much, and it hurts other peoples speed.  So it is our fault for using the service we pay for... and they can't be expected to provide good service.  Yes, I had this discussion with them already ha ha   :tiphat:

I seemed to be doing fine with the "supposed" 3 G speed for well over a month.

Then I noticed the text message from them about being in violation of the terms of service. (the small print I did not read)

This happened right after I had 3 IE pages open at the same time,

Now they have me "throttled" back to HSPA....whatever that means.

Next time I will try something else......SMART perhaps.

Any experience with them for wireless internet?

Thomas
Posted
Posted
3 being to many?!!!  Normaly I have 20 open at the same time now... :mocking:  

(A mix of business and private websites, so I can switch fast between them without needing to look for bookmarks and reopen.  So that will surely be a problem after I have moved to RP. But I have expected that will be a problem. That's why I have changed my business plans, skiping Internet business and start some offline business instead, probably refining some agricultural crop.)

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Lots of kids are downloading movies, (it takes 4 hours), then they burn them to discs and sell them. They do this 24/7. Pirated movies are a big business here. That does not help us, Globe, nor the movie business. Unlimited bandwidth or unlimited anything usually is not good. 

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I seemed to be doing fine with the "supposed" 3 G speed for well over a month.

Then I noticed the text message from them about being in violation of the terms of service. (the small print I did not read)

Now they have me "throttled" back to HSPA....whatever that means.

Next time I will try something else......SMART perhaps.

Any experience with them for wireless internet?

Service can vary by region. Up in North Central Luzon I have used a Smart data plan for my Android Smartphone that allows for unlimited data for just 999php/month. I have used that smart phone as a wifi hotspot for my laptop. At times I have used over 10GB per month download with no problems. Speed depends on how fast the local cell tower is. Between cities speed will be slow, in cities generally speed will be good.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

We tried a couple different things like Tattoo, and Pocket Wifi - nothing worked out here except Globe's Smart Bro wireless modem.  So i have no choice on internet. 

I don't know if it is because I use a VPN at all times, or they just decided to leave me alone, but I download movies and music all the time with no problems now.  But then again I don't think very many people ouit here have internet yet.  Quite a few neighbors don't have refrigerators yet...    :tiphat:

dalidali
Posted
Posted
3 being to many?!!! Normaly I have 20 open at the same time now...

Yikes....you da man :tiphat: Never in my simple life have I had that many open.

Kudos to you!!

Lots of kids are downloading movies, (it takes 4 hours), then they burn them to discs and sell them. They do this 24/7. Pirated movies are a big business here. That does not help us, Globe, nor the movie business. Unlimited bandwidth or unlimited anything usually is not good.

I suppose your right and I never thought of that before.

Anything to make a piso I suppose but it sure would/could be a drag for us "normal" internet users.

I not particular keen on paying for internet time by the hour, minute or day...so UNLI, despite it's abuse by some and the resultant logjams will stay my plan.......for now.

Speed depends on how fast the local cell tower is. Between cities speed will be slow, in cities generally speed will be good.

I am connecting to the internet in Lapu_Lapu now. The signal is good with 4 bars, yet the internet connect speeds are laughable.

In the dark early morning, when the roosters are going off is my best time to connect. I am usually up and connected about 5 am.

It starts to drag down it seems when the 6am Cebu Pacific flight blasts out of the Mactan airport and waivers on and off throughout the day. :angry:

dalidali
Posted
Posted
I don't know if it is because I use a VPN at all times

I too have a VPN....it's Strong VPN and the server I connect to is in San Francisco.

I ran one of those "speed tests" you see on the internet.....with and without being connected to the VPN.

Without, the speed was S L O W and with the VPN connected it was D E A D S L O W ER.

So I ditched that idea and stuck with the local connect.

Some of the websites I visit "know" I am connecting from the Phils.

They block my access so I am forced to use the VPN....although at a much slower speed.....finish what is what I have to do then get off.

During my first attempts to send myself some money with Western Union......they blocked my access and I was forced to go out and get some long distance direct dial feature for the cell phone and minutes then call them.

I brainfarted and never thought to try the VPN.

After answering personal questions that I would only know....they gave me the green light when connected from a PH IP.

Now I have sent myself WU money without any more hassles.