Best Cycle/scooter For Tricycle

intrepid
Posted
Posted

What's your opinion on the best bike for a tricycle?  Not considering price yet, just power and reliability, and parts availability.  I would like to have built a new tricycle for use in Laguna.  So it will need enough power to handle the hills with a load of people without being too stressed.  I'm not very familiar  with the scooter models available but seem to prefer the scooter over the motorcycle for ease of mounting without throwing a leg high over the seat,fuel tank.  Also would prefer four cycle instead of two.   So, what are your recommendations?

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

My choice would be a Honda TMX, the workhorse for the Philippine tricycle

Honda Philippines, Inc. knows the demands of the business market. The New TMX Supremo is a 150 cc 4-Stroke, OHV, Air Cooled powerhouse intended for heavy duty tricycle use. It has a 5 All-Down Manual Transmission and equipped with electric and kick starter, as well as a DC-CDI ignition. A telescopic fork front suspension and twin rear suspension cushion the bumps on the road. The TMX Supremo has also passed Euro 2 emission testing and is environment-friendly.

http://www.hondaph.com/lifestyle/business-type-model

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

I don't think automatic scooters lend themselves to trikes very well due to the bodywork covering the frame but I believe I have seen pictures of it done. I think Honda TMX 155 , Kawasaki Barako 175 and Yamaha STX 125 are the most common motive power for trikes. I have a CB 125 Honda, similar to a TMX 155 and it isn't much of a chore to get a leg over and I have a 30 inch inseam. You may have also seen the extended footrests that can be added to a motorcycle? I think that would make it really easy for anyone to get their leg over. Honda XRM 125 should also have a mention, cheap, durable, parts all over, probably a lower liftover although I have not looked at the specs, semi-automatic (auto clutch) or hand clutch models. Honda would be my choice but I would have nothing against the others.

• Like 3

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Thanks guys.  It looks like the Honda TMX is the way to go.  You saved me a lot of research.  I went to there website and looked over the specs and an satisified.  Now just need find a good dealer when I get there.

thanks again.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

I think list price is pretty reasonable on a Honda TMX but I hear you can haggle a little better for cash sale. I would just say I was going to check down the street because likely several people sell them in any given area and then ask them for last price to save you the trouble.

A bit of advice on break in, I change the oil almost immediately after starting and running any engine without an oil filter, the reason is that if any bit of metal breaks free in the first few thousand rotations of the engine, I want to let it out and not circulate it through the engine millions of times before the first scheduled oil change. After the first 10,000 revolutions, I don't expect much in the way of bits and shavings anymore and you can easily hit 10,000 revolutions in the first 2 minutes, if you are at an actual Honda shop, you can go around the block and pull it back in for an oil change. After that just scheduled maintenance.

Triple LIKE Robert K!

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks guys.  It looks like the Honda TMX is the way to go.  You saved me a lot of research.  I went to there website and looked over the specs and an satisified.  Now just need find a good dealer when I get there.

thanks again.

Hey Danny,

Here's another internal link about purchasing motorcycles in the Philippines.  This one has more

photos and discussions about trying to get LTO plates: http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/13286-considering-buying-a-motorcycle/#entry72480

Respectfully -- Jake

Edited by Jake
  • Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

What's your opinion on the best bike for a tricycle?  Not considering price yet, just power and reliability, and parts availability.  I would like to have built a new tricycle for use in Laguna.  

Hey Danny, check out these unique designs for a tricycle:

post-686-0-80945200-1379747497_thumb.jpg post-686-0-55961700-1379747530_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Wow Jake, looks so sharp. Could set a land speed record with that!

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

any updates or NEW suggestions on what is the best motor cycle for a tricycle unit?

• Like 1